Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,104

1 members and 3,103 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Not Another Thermostat Probe Thread! Help??

I've been looking this up for a while but can't seen to come to a conclusion with probe placement.

A lot of people say it should be sandwiched between the heat mat and the outside bottom of Enclosure. My problem with this is that the probe is kind of thick so the uth would be uneven and wouldn't give consistant readings and I've seen NO ONE acknowledge this. Or maybe I just missed it.

Another way I've seen people go about it, was not even having the uth touch the bottom of the tub at all. The uth is flat on a surface but they had the tub sitting maybe less than an inch above the uth. So is this a good option and where would the probe go with this set up?

Then there's the probe on the inside which people seem to hate, but would seems more convient for people having problems with the sandwich method. Is it really that bad?

I just could never come to a clean conclusion giving the different options and the setbacks. I'm hoping someone could help me smoothen this out a bit. Any help is appreciated!

Btw, I'm using a single a single tub with a lid. No rack whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Not Another Thermostat Probe Thread! Help??

Hey, yeah in my setups, the probe is sandwiched between the uth and the bottom. you are correct that it leads to some uneven temps, I just circle the whole uth with the temp gun and adjust based on the highest temp reading. I was wondering the same thing as you when I started lol
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Avsha531 For This Useful Post:

ArcaneTB (05-25-2018)

Thanks

I place mine in different locations to monitor temp and humidity, but I run a decent size tank. I monitor the hot side and cool side as well as in the hide which is in the substrate. The probe I use is a Vivarium Electronics TH-100 which monitors both humidity and temperature. Also saves the highest and lowest parameters in between clearing the memory. Pretty cool feature. Hope this helps!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Springtails&Isopods For This Useful Post:

ArcaneTB (05-25-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Avsha531 View Post
    Hey, yeah in my setups, the probe is sandwiched between the uth and the bottom. you are correct that it leads to some uneven temps, I just circle the whole uth with the temp gun and adjust based on the highest temp reading. I was wondering the same thing as you when I started lol
    How much of a difference is it between the different areas of the heat mat?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Springtails&Isopods View Post
    I place mine in different locations to monitor temp and humidity, but I run a decent size tank. I monitor the hot side and cool side as well as in the hide which is in the substrate. The probe I use is a Vivarium Electronics TH-100 which monitors both humidity and temperature. Also saves the highest and lowest parameters in between clearing the memory. Pretty cool feature. Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the response. I see this is a thermometer. I was referring to the thermostat probe used to regulate the UTH.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I had the same problem when I sandwich the probe between the uth and tank/tub - The probe is too big! The thermostat I use is from Zilla, and their probes are big relative to other thermostats.

After some frustration playing with the temps, and dealing with an uneven uth, I resigned to placing the probe inside the tub/tank. It makes more sense to me anyway since the uth can measure the temps from where your snake is (Plus confirming this temp with a thermometer). This has been working fine with me. All I have to do is check daily to see if the probe is dry and not moved from its location. So far so good.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    I had the same problem when I sandwich the probe between the uth and tank/tub - The probe is too big! The thermostat I use is from Zilla, and their probes are big relative to other thermostats.

After some frustration playing with the temps, and dealing with an uneven uth, I resigned to placing the probe inside the tub/tank. It makes more sense to me anyway since the uth can measure the temps from where your snake is (Plus confirming this temp with a thermometer). This has been working fine with me. All I have to do is check daily to see if the probe is dry and not moved from its location. So far so good.
    Doing it your way with the probe inside the RUB - it's best to hot-glue the probe into place then you can forget about it - just do random checks to see it's still secure .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneTB View Post
    I've been looking this up for a while but can't seen to come to a conclusion with probe placement.

A lot of people say it should be sandwiched between the heat mat and the outside bottom of Enclosure. My problem with this is that the probe is kind of thick so the uth would be uneven and wouldn't give consistant readings and I've seen NO ONE acknowledge this. Or maybe I just missed it.

Another way I've seen people go about it, was not even having the uth touch the bottom of the tub at all. The uth is flat on a surface but they had the tub sitting maybe less than an inch above the uth. So is this a good option and where would the probe go with this set up?

Then there's the probe on the inside which people seem to hate, but would seems more convient for people having problems with the sandwich method. Is it really that bad?

I just could never come to a clean conclusion giving the different options and the setbacks. I'm hoping someone could help me smoothen this out a bit. Any help is appreciated!

Btw, I'm using a single a single tub with a lid. No rack whatsoever.

I just put 4 little blocks under the corners to raise and level the viv/ rub ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

ArcaneTB (05-25-2018)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Keeping the thermostat probe inside the enclosure for belly heat is a bad idea.
    Why?
    Your animal can move the probe....
    You animal can tip a water bowl....
    Your animal can pee or poop on the probe....
    All of these can change the reading of your probe.

Its not hard to set it up correctly and use a temperature gun to monitor the floor surface of your enclosure over the UTH and adjust the thermostat to account for heat loss.
    Everyone seems to want to over think and over complicate this, it's not hard to set up.
    If you feel your probe is too big to fit between the mat and floor then mount it to the underside of the mat. Just remember there will be a greater reading difference btween the thermostat and actual inside floor temperatures.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

ArcaneTB (05-25-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneTB View Post
    How much of a difference is it between the different areas of the heat mat?

About 3 degrees variation

1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP