Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,299

1 members and 3,298 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Checking Thermostat Temps.

Hello everyone! So when I check heat mat temp, it heats up to about 94 & some change. Once the the thermostat turns off it cools downs to about 84 or 85 & some change before it turns back on and heat up. So basically my question is, is it ok for the temp to get that low even if it's just momentarily?

Also, I check the Temps with a dual laser temp gun.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Checking Thermostat Temps.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneTB View Post
    Hello everyone! So when I check heat mat temp, it heats up to about 94 & some change. Once the the thermostat turns off it cools downs to about 84 or 85 & some change before it turns back on and heat up. So basically my question is, is it ok for the temp to get that low even if it's just momentarily?

Also, I check the Temps with a dual laser temp gun.

Thanks!

It depends on how wide the temperature swings are and for how long. Burns can occur from extreme localised heat and digestion and immune system can be poor with too little heat.

It's always better to use a 'pulse proportional' thermostat and not an 'on off' thermostat if your heat source is non light emmiting. This will create a more stable hot spot because the thermostat will be regulating a constant power source instead of heating, cooling then heating again. They're good for heat mats and tape, radiant heat panels and ceramic heat emitters. It will also make your heat source last longer. If you use a bulb use it with a dimmer thermostat.

Also, it depends on your cage type. The best type are made from wood or plastic because heat and humidity aren't lost easily. If you have a glass tank maybe with a screen top you're gonna lose heat and humidity too fast.

If you're in the UK I recommend a Microclimate Evo thermostat. If you're in the US I recommend a Herpstat thermostat

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Valyrian; 05-24-2018 at 04:29 AM.
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

ArcaneTB (05-24-2018)

Thanks

The temperatures only stay low for a matter of seconds before it starts to heat back up. I just wasn't sure how low it should be allowed to drop, even for those seconds.

I never about the pulse proportional thermostat. My heat source is a flukers heat mat, which I'm thinking about changing, and I'm using a single sterilite tub.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ArcaneTB For This Useful Post:

Valyrian (05-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneTB View Post
    The temperatures only stay low for a matter of seconds before it starts to heat back up. I just wasn't sure how low it should be allowed to drop, even for those seconds.

I never about the pulse proportional thermostat. My heat source is a flukers heat mat, which I'm thinking about changing, and I'm using a single sterilite tub.

If you have an off/on thermostat just set the on feature at 1 degree. The temp will never drop to 85f.