Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,349

2 members and 3,347 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Try convincing me not to get another!

Well, Chris over at CSerpants just got back to me, saying if I want to do a small expansion, he could do a 2 tier rack for a pretty decent price. Forgot I had even messagrd him about it when i was thinking of enclosures a week ago. Now, I feel extremely tempted to go with that and just use the enclosure money saved to get another snake at the next expo or on morph market...though, i feel like my girlfriend would kill me (even if she doesnt live with me), thats enough to scare me a bit even if my dad said it would be probably ok . With this dilemma, I wanted to see if any of you could come up with something to dissuade me from making the purchase and to go back with my original idea of getting a T8 enclosure for my single snake. If you cant think of any, tell me the pros and cons of a rack, and what snake I should get! (And how to hide properly from the gf, because im sure she smells fear...)

Note the GF loves snakes herself, she just doesnt like me spending money

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Slicercrush; 06-03-2018 at 06:43 PM.

The more silent you become, the more you are able to hear...

​1.0 Super Cinny Banana Het Ghost BP - "Churro"
    1.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks

Re: Try convincing me not to get another!

Quote Originally Posted by Slicercrush View Post
    Well, Chris over at CSerpants just got back to me, saying if I want to do a small expansion, he could do a 2 tier rack for a pretty decent price. Forgot I had even messagrd him about it when i was thinking of enclosures a week ago. Now, I feel extremely tempted to go with that and just use the enclosure money saved to get another snake at the next expo or on morph market...though, i feel like my girlfriend would kill me (even if she doesnt live with me), thats enough to scare me a bit even if my dad said it would be probably ok . With this dilemma, I wanted to see if any of you could come up with something to dissuade me from making the purchase and to go back with my original idea of getting a T8 enclosure for my single snake. If you cant think of any, tell me the pros and cons of a rack, and what snake I should get! (And how to hide properly from the gf, because im sure she smells fear...)

Also considering just getting the rack right now, and waiting on another BP, if someone can give me some tips on racks!

0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks

Oh you’ve got the bug! I used to run racks and I’ll likely go back to them in the next few years. My only hangup with racks is it takes away from the visual of owning a snake... which in your case may be to your advantage. I’ve been sinking around with bioactive lately and find that rewarding.

I live with my boyfriend and surprised him two weeks ago with three new snakes, my money, my hobby, my snakes, my responsibility. That’s how I view it. He’s supportive and I compromise on fish tanks. We have balance

The question is why get more? Do you intend to breed? Do you enjoy the morphs? Do you simply just enjoy feeding? Do you like their personalities? Do you want more because gosh darn it it snakes are amazing?

Think about why, if you can find a solid answer to that then go for it. Remember more snakes =more time, more feeders, and more cleaning and maintenance. Let’s not forget that they live a long time!

As to what morph that depends on you! I love pieds so I have two, I love bananas, so I have one, think about what you like to look at, think about your goals and then decide! What do you currently have? Also if your gf loves snakes a way to get her on board is to maybe spend some time on world of ball pythons with her investigating what morphs she likes, and maybe she can give input as to what type of snake to add

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I've been in the same spot for the past year, lol. Here's my 2 cents. Start with 1 snake and a T8 (I personally can't stand rack systems, I understand their use for breeders, but I couldn't house a pet in one). But make sure the morph you pick is something you REALLY want (helps with temptation).

Then in a year or so you can decide if you want more snakes. That gives you a year to keep track of costs for the one animal, that you can then multiply to see if you can even afford to set up more. Getting the rack system would probably save you money - you would only be buying 1 heating set up, a few water dishes, and 0 cage decor. This would allow you to spend that extra cash on multiple snakes. You'd be making the trade between an awesome setup that you can customize with rocks / sticks / cool hides and be aesthetically pleasing for multiple cool morphs.

The other side of the coin is what are your plans for said snakes? Breeding vs pets? While snakes don't 'need' attention the same way a dog does, you do have to spend time maintaining husbandry (looking for waste, changing substrate, freshening water, and so forth), the more you have the more time you spend in up keep vs holding / interacting with each one.

I really enjoy tinkering with my guys cage, he's in a T11 and I love to see how he explores after I change it up from monthly cleanings. I have several large pieces of java wood that I can switch out as well as piles of river rocks - his hides always stay the same but I can add and remove branches and additional things for enrichment. I also do really enjoy taking some time just handling him - he very chill and curious.

All this said, I am looking at getting an additional snake. When I got mine, I was looking for a good pet that I could learn how to care for - I didn't research morphs much and was not thinking about how mine would age color-wise. Now that I'm more aware of ball pythons in general I really want a female Ivory - if I had started with that I'd most likely not be looking at getting a second snake.

Good luck with the decision
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Mislytherin (06-03-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    I've been in the same spot for the past year, lol. Here's my 2 cents. Start with 1 snake and a T8 (I personally can't stand rack systems, I understand their use for breeders, but I couldn't house a pet in one). But make sure the morph you pick is something you REALLY want (helps with temptation).

Then in a year or so you can decide if you want more snakes. That gives you a year to keep track of costs for the one animal, that you can then multiply to see if you can even afford to set up more. Getting the rack system would probably save you money - you would only be buying 1 heating set up, a few water dishes, and 0 cage decor. This would allow you to spend that extra cash on multiple snakes. You'd be making the trade between an awesome setup that you can customize with rocks / sticks / cool hides and be aesthetically pleasing for multiple cool morphs.

The other side of the coin is what are your plans for said snakes? Breeding vs pets? While snakes don't 'need' attention the same way a dog does, you do have to spend time maintaining husbandry (looking for waste, changing substrate, freshening water, and so forth), the more you have the more time you spend in up keep vs holding / interacting with each one.

I really enjoy tinkering with my guys cage, he's in a T11 and I love to see how he explores after I change it up from monthly cleanings. I have several large pieces of java wood that I can switch out as well as piles of river rocks - his hides always stay the same but I can add and remove branches and additional things for enrichment. I also do really enjoy taking some time just handling him - he very chill and curious.

All this said, I am looking at getting an additional snake. When I got mine, I was looking for a good pet that I could learn how to care for - I didn't research morphs much and was not thinking about how mine would age color-wise. Now that I'm more aware of ball pythons in general I really want a female Ivory - if I had started with that I'd most likely not be looking at getting a second snake.

Good luck with the decision
    Really not looking to breed, just maybe a secondary pet. I dont mind him not being a super big centerpiece, Paarthurnax might be my baby but he's also just a normal. I know I have the time, and the feeders, to support another. I DID get my GFs permission for the rack, so I may just upgrade to the rack, and maybe get another snake in late summer when I have more time to think about it.

0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slicercrush For This Useful Post:

Mislytherin (06-03-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    The girlfriend you don't even live with is controlling your spending already???
    I'm just gonna say look out cookout and casually step away from this thread...
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 06-04-2018 at 04:51 AM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Apiratenamedjohn (06-04-2018),Mislytherin (06-04-2018),Slicercrush (06-04-2018),Wharf Rat (06-04-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    The girlfriend you don't even live with is controlling your spending already???
    I'm just gonna say look out cookout and casually step away from this thread...
    More of like i just dont like the "teachers eye" i get when she finds out i spent more money im aware she doesn't have control, though, which is why I get the eye on a daily basis.

0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Slicercrush For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-04-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

More of like i just dont like the "teachers eye" i get when she finds out i spent more money im aware she doesn't have control, though, which is why I get the eye on a daily basis.

I'm glad you read that the way I intended (I think at least, based on your reply). After I typed it I realized it could have come off the wrong way.
    I was hoping to just throw a friendly jab at ya, sarcastically.
    Anyway, thanks for taking it in stride, apologies if it came across wrong.

...anyway, just wait til you live with them, it only gets worse with the spending, wink wink!!!
    Honestly though, I'm a spender. Always have been, always will be. I'm glad my girlfriend is around to keep me in check and I'm glad she cares enough to want to.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 06-04-2018 at 10:22 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Slicercrush (06-04-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I'm glad you read that the way I intended (I think at least, based on your reply). After I typed it I realized it could have come off the wrong way.
    I was hoping to just throw a friendly jab at ya, sarcastically.
    Anyway, thanks for taking it in stride, apologies if it came across wrong.

...anyway, just wait til you live with them, it only gets worse with the spending, wink wink!!!
    Honestly though, I'm a spender. Always have been, always will be. I'm glad my girlfriend is around to keep me in check and I'm glad she cares enough to want to.
    Came across just fine! Yea, it good that she keeps me in check. If she didnt, my room would be WAAAAY more full of random items and animals than id like to admit...

(Actually, that doesnt sound too bad....)

0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Slicercrush For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-04-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Came across just fine! Yea, it good that she keeps me in check. If she didnt, my room would be WAAAAY more full of random items and animals than id like to admit...

(Actually, that doesnt sound too bad....)

Yeah, if not for my girl I would have at least a few more!!