Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,292

1 members and 3,291 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Yet Another Question About Feeding

Hi again! I just posted a totally different question about a bug/tank problem, but this one's about feeding. My baby BP is just between the local pet store's two sizes (small adult and adult, in which there's a significant difference between!) So he seems pretty hungry between each week/meal, since I've been feeding him small adults every week, and I haven't noticed a not of growth in him.

However, the adult size seems slightly thicker than the width of his body, and last time I gave him one of these, instead of striking it and coiling around it, he kind of slowly wrapped around it instead of striking it first. It was very awkward and I figured that meant it was too big for him. (this was about a month ago, so I was wondering if I should try again).

So, should I feed him more often, or should I feed him adult mice once a week?

Thank you for any advice!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    Always better to feed smaller than the width of snake's body. Do not feed more than once a week in any event...it takes time for them to digest.

It's a challenge when your only local source offers limited size prey, & if you're only feeding one snake, it's not very cost effective to order online,
    as the shipping "on ice" is expensive...the only way that pays off is ordering a lot at one time. Do you have any local friends with snakes that you
    could combine an order with?

In your shoes, I'd stay with one smaller mouse/week for a little longer...but maybe it's time to look into rat pups? Your snake may or may not
    jump at the chance to switch, so don't stock up until you know.

Are you sure there's no one around who raises mice that could supply you for a while? Have you asked? (if you were nearby, I could & would, lol)
    Ask @ vet offices, they may know of someone. Or at feed stores...ppl who raise rodents buy feed for them.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-21-2018 at 07:47 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

kthoms104 (05-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    And by the way, it takes quite a long time before you'll "see" growth in your snake...that's completely normal! You do not want to be "power-
    feeding" your snake to "see" growth...it's not good for them. So be patient...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

kthoms104 (05-21-2018)

Thanks

Re: Yet Another Question About Feeding

Alright, thank you! I will try to look into other sources, but if not I'll stick with the small adults for a bit longer and switch soon