Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,192

1 members and 3,191 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Re: Showering buddies

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian View Post
    Interesting how everyone is jumping on to therealtatzan here. A very experienced animal keeper and educator.

Brian Barcyzk climbs into a pool to bathe his large snakes and not a peep from anyone. But let this guy do it and all of a sudden he's trying to 'look cool and seek attention'?

Maybe do some research on people within the exotic animal community instead of going with your clearly ingrained prejudice first.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    This thread is about the video posted. Not about what Brian does or doesn't do. Post the video of Brian if you want opinions on that.

Clearly ingrained prejudice? It's called an opinion. And I stand by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupČry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    This thread is about the video posted. Not about what Brian does or doesn't do. Post the video of Brian if you want opinions on that.

Clearly ingrained prejudice? It's called an opinion. And I stand by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    By your own words that opinion is based on your perception of the video posted. And it appears your perception has been coloured by a pre-judgement of the person in the video without any research into his background. My opinion is an objective outcome of your pre-judgement of the person in the video hence using the word prejudiced. And I stand by it.

0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Hey everybody, look at me!!! I’m showering in my underwear! Not only look at me showering, but look at me showering with one of the largest reptiles on earth wrapped around my neck!! Look at me!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

zina10 (05-22-2018)

Thanks
    The whole point of "education" is to teach people about the animals and the proper care / handling of them. Part of this is admitting that these can be dangerous creatures and that one needs to take precautions to ensure the safety of the animals and handler.

I didn't see anything about proper handling technique in this video or any useful information presented. IMO, this looks like a video that was done to get attention. Note, I'm saying this based on watching the video, not researching the person. Whether this guy does good work or not, posting something like this is not responsible IMO. Just like people posting videos free-handling hots, live feeding videos, etc.

Most people that watch stuff on youtube aren't going to search a person, look at their entire history, job, etc. they are going to watch and video and make a judgement based on that. With this sort of thing, I could easily see some newbie going out and trying this without taking any safety precautions and something going very wrong. Or, an AR group could take this footage and say "See, all reptile keepers are irresponsible and dangerous! Ban ownership!".

Youtubers typically get snubbed by the community when they are creating content viewed as "sensational" and not educational. Content that does not have the best interests of the animals in mind, ignores safety, or contains shocking titles / images. If content is truly educational, most people don't have a problem with it, as it will show information on proper care and husbandry as well as information on the species in question. If this youtuber had instead made a video showing 2-3 people getting an anaconda out of its' enclosure, how to properly move it, some shots of it outside to show how gorgeous it is, and talk about how dedicated you have to be, how expensive it is to care for it, common health concerns, etc. Then that would have been great educational material IMO, but it probably would not have gotten as many hits as something like "showering with a giant snake" would.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

CottonMouth (05-22-2018),the_rotten1 (05-22-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian View Post
    By your own words that opinion is based on your perception of the video posted. And it appears your perception has been coloured by a pre-judgement of the person in the video without any research into his background. My opinion is an objective outcome of your pre-judgement of the person in the video hence using the word prejudiced. And I stand by it.

The very definition of prejudice is a "preconceived opinion not based on reason, such as men being prejudice against women as a whole, not based on the action of one woman, or people being prejudice against all pitbulls, not one particular one or its actions, etc."

I'm not prejudice against snake keepers, men, men taking showers in underwear, exotic animal keepers, etc. My opinion is based on THAT one particular guy and what he is doing and how he is sharing it for attention (unless he puts it on youtube so no-one can see it). So yes, opinion based on reason.

This very thread was created asking for views / opinions on the video.

I shared mine. Don't expect anyone to share it and respect the fact that others may have differing ones.

We can go on to twist and scramble words forever, but lets just say we don't agree
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

CottonMouth (05-22-2018),Valyrian (05-22-2018)

Thanks

I'm not prejudice against snake keepers, men, men taking showers in underwear, exotic animal keepers, etc.
    Loool does anyone know anyone who's prejudice of men taking showers in underwear?

Haha sorry just laughed out loud when I read that part.
    ~We Don't Have To Agree On Anything To Be Kind To One Another~

Thanks

The very definition of prejudice is a "preconceived opinion not based on reason, such as men being prejudice against women as a whole, not based on the action of one woman, or people being prejudice against all pitbulls, not one particular one or its actions, etc."

I'm not prejudice against snake keepers, men, men taking showers in underwear, exotic animal keepers, etc. My opinion is based on THAT one particular guy and what he is doing and how he is sharing it for attention (unless he puts it on youtube so no-one can see it). So yes, opinion based on reason.

This very thread was created asking for views / opinions on the video.

I shared mine. Don't expect anyone to share it and respect the fact that others may have differing ones.

We can go on to twist and scramble words forever, but lets just say we don't agree
    Sounds good, I was only sharing my opinion as well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

zina10 (05-22-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CottonMouth View Post
    Loool does anyone know anyone who's prejudice of men taking showers in underwear?

You just never know !!! LOL

My point was just that my opinion was based on the actions, not whether it was man, woman, old, young, ugly, sexy, dressed, naked, big snake, alligator, shark...
    Simply the actions and what I perceive as irresponsible in our hobby. In my opinion.

In this hobby not many realize just how very hard some people are at work to outlaw reptile keeping. Esp. snakes. Esp. constrictors and hots.

You already have many cities and counties where you can't keep giant snakes. There is a lot of movement into forbidding any "constrictor". Yes, that will then include Ball Pythons and even spotted or childrens pythons.

Does anyone think this is just fear mongering? Or being paranoid? Just check out the trouble the Humane Society went through creating this report back in 2012:

http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/...-incidents.pdf

check this one out:

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/...or-snakes.html

Of course WE know those are ridiculous. Esp. if you compare it to other animals causing injuries and death to people. BUT remember that most of the public couldn't care less about snakes. Many think the only good snake is a dead snake. Many have preconceived ideas about the dangers of snakes AND the "irresponsibility" and carelessness of snake keepers. Getting these laws passed is not all that difficult because there aren't that many that fight back or even acknowledge what is going on behind the curtain. This is just one example of a large entity fighting to end legal snake ownership. There is much more going on then that. There are countless articles such as this:

https://www.poynter.org/news/python-...ng-exotic-pets

We should all thank USARK for fighting for us, if not for them, there would already have been many more anti snake ownership laws passed and a lot less awareness of the many attacks on our hobby.

In our hobby it has become critical that we EDUCATE instead of alienate.

There will always be some stupid people doing stupid stuff. But its up to us not to encourage that behavior or share it with the world. You will always have some young people that are impressed and want to copy. They think if its safe for that guy, why not for them. Sure, we could say, if they are that stupid, to bad for them.

But every, single, death or injury that involves these animals is a hit. A big one. Every such case is being used to push those laws harder and faster. And if the general public perceives us as people taking stupid risks and doing dumb stuff (and promoting it on social media) they will feel its no big loss if the laws become tougher. As a matter of fact, they will welcome that.

Just the long explanation why I'm no fan of people doing and sharing these kinds of things for attention.

ps. please keep in mind that English is my second language, and it seems I have lost it today, LOL. I have a hard time trying to explain myself and grammar/spelling is on vacation. Time for coffee...been one of those days already
    Last edited by zina10; 05-22-2018 at 03:35 PM.
    Zina

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CottonMouth View Post

Ha ha you laugh but there are people out there who would probably view it as misogynistic or something

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123