Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,359

1 members and 3,358 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Simple snake noob questions

I cant help but think back to when I had my first snake ever. There was no internet then, there were no cell phones then, I am guessing that there were thermostats for reptile care then but they were probably so rare and expensive that only zoo's had them. My Burmese python lived in a 6 foot long cage that was a modified dresser like you would store clothes in. She had a heat rock that stayed plugged straight into the wall. In order to get new reptiles then, you had to order from a known breeder by phone call then drive to the nearest international airport to pick up your package or drive to the breeder's location. My oh my how easy we have it now.

Yes, by today's standards, I was a horrible keeper then but that is how everyone did it back then.

It is wonderful that we have all of this today and that we have the internet to learn from everyone elses experiences. All of the electronics to impliment these proven better ways of providing care. There are thousands of people that have invested millions of hours of trial and error to make the hobby better for all of us by sharing what they have learned online. I do believe that reptiles are MUCH better cared for now days than back then because the tools do exist now, they are affordable, and there are good places like this to learn that you do want to incorporate these tools into your keeping and how to use them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Ok craig, you know I'm a fan of yours. Please step back a little. We have all been a noob. She is taking in all the info and changing. She isn't Dutti.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-14-2018),Queenofredlions (05-14-2018)

Registered User Queenofredlions's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    ...ok, are you ready to admit you haven't done ample research yet???

And seriously, the moron you got the snake from took them on motorcycle rides??? This is the same guy you trust when it comes to if/when you handle the snake or let it acclimate???
    Uh, no, I did research, just never understood temperature devices. Like I said. I saw someone on here say they use a temp gun and went for that because I had one and understood it.
    And yeah naturally I suspect the guy who had snakes knows snakes better than I do.

Not that temperatrue had anything to do with my first post.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

My preference, there are mixed feeling on it, but I would replace the lamp with a CHE, it gives off the heat you want but doesnt give off any light. Not a huge thing but I found out it helps them get comfortable. Like I said, just a preference of mine because they do prefer the dark.
    0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Het Desert Ghost

0.1 Super Pastel VPI Axanthic Enchi (Jasmin)

0.1 Black Pastel Mojave
    0.1 Calico Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Het Red Axanthic Het Desert Ghost
    1.0 Orange Dream Enchi Fire
    0.1 leatherback hypo Bearded Dragon
    1.0 Purple Motley Suntiger Citron Reticulated
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.2 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    0.0.1 White Tree Frog
    1.0 Green Anaconda
    0.1 Indonesian Frilled Dragon

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwood For This Useful Post:

Queenofredlions (05-14-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Queenofredlions View Post
    Uh, no, I did research, just never understood temperature devices. Like I said. I saw someone on here say they use a temp gun and went for that because I had one and understood it.
    And yeah naturally I suspect the guy who had snakes knows snakes better than I do.

Not that temperatrue had anything to do with my first post.

Ok, I'll wrap up my replies to this OP with this:
    PROPER research would have taught you the difference between thermometers, thermostats, temp guns, etc...
    PROPER research would have taught you that the guy you got the snakes from has no clue about snakes.

OP, I have no issue with you personally and would be happy to help moving forward. But this is a LIVING being, and taking ownership of it requires more than a few hours of research.

I honestly, whole heartedly wish you and your snake the best.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Kira (05-14-2018),MissterDog (05-14-2018),redshepherd (05-14-2018)

Thanks

Walmart sells snakes ?
    I would not go to mouse if you already got him eating rats because one rat which will fill your snake is easier and less expensive than feeding it multiple mice and if your snake eats a mouse it may acquire a taste for mice over rats .
    If ur feeding live there shouldn’t be too much of an issue witth the bedding sticking to the fur and siding t to be ingested .
    I
    know some people feed frozen thawed and soak the actual rat in the water then dry off with a hair dryer . I put my frozen thawed (FT) out in a ziplock for a few hours then I put the ziplock into hot water until they are at 90 degrees then I offer them to the snake. if they somehow get wet I will blow dry the dead rat until dry and at the right temp. Keep in mind if you blow dry them the scent gets into the air and your snake will be very ready to eat and the room you do it in will smell pretty gross.
    I feed my juveniles every 5 days and they are eating FT rat pups and small rat. I feed my adult male med rats every 7-10 days . I read his body language he lets me know when he’s hungry .

If I were you ,not saying you have to, but I would try to convert to frozen thawed rats . In my opinion it’s a little more work but it’s better for the snake. The rats can bite and claw your snake when being fed . Plenty of people feed live and don’t have any issues it’s just my personal preference . Now, if your snake refuses your live rat DO NOT leave the rat in the cage with your snake unattended . There has been many cases where the rat actually bites and attacks the snakes taking chunks out of them causing infections and a whole lot of unneeded issues .

Don’t let any of this scare you or overwhelm you once you get the hang of things it will be easy . If you have any questions feel free to DM Me and I’ll get back to you ASAP .I’m usually on a few hours a day so contact me whenever .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Joelgriz8124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joelgriz8124 View Post
    Walmart sells snakes ?
    A little bit off topic, can someone confirm this?

The more silent you become, the more you are able to hear...

​1.0 Super Cinny Banana Het Ghost BP - "Churro"
    1.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slicercrush View Post
    A little bit off topic, can someone confirm this?
    I read the original posters paragraph wrong , I thought she said she got him at Walmart , but she was talking about bedding . Sorry my bad

Registered User Queenofredlions's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joelgriz8124 View Post
    Walmart sells snakes ?
    I would not go to mouse if you already got him eating rats because one rat which will fill your snake is easier and less expensive than feeding it multiple mice and if your snake eats a mouse it may acquire a taste for mice over rats .
    If ur feeding live there shouldn’t be too much of an issue witth the bedding sticking to the fur and siding t to be ingested .
    I
    know some people feed frozen thawed and soak the actual rat in the water then dry off with a hair dryer . I put my frozen thawed (FT) out in a ziplock for a few hours then I put the ziplock into hot water until they are at 90 degrees then I offer them to the snake. if they somehow get wet I will blow dry the dead rat until dry and at the right temp. Keep in mind if you blow dry them the scent gets into the air and your snake will be very ready to eat and the room you do it in will smell pretty gross.
    I feed my juveniles every 5 days and they are eating FT rat pups and small rat. I feed my adult male med rats every 7-10 days . I read his body language he lets me know when he’s hungry .

If I were you ,not saying you have to, but I would try to convert to frozen thawed rats . In my opinion it’s a little more work but it’s better for the snake. The rats can bite and claw your snake when being fed . Plenty of people feed live and don’t have any issues it’s just my personal preference . Now, if your snake refuses your live rat DO NOT leave the rat in the cage with your snake unattended . There has been many cases where the rat actually bites and attacks the snakes taking chunks out of them causing infections and a whole lot of unneeded issues .

Don’t let any of this scare you or overwhelm you once you get the hang of things it will be easy . If you have any questions feel free to DM Me and I’ll get back to you ASAP .I’m usually on a few hours a day so contact me whenever .

Oo I didn’t know you could switch to frozen. That’s nice because I cried watching the rat die 🙃 I’ll look into that, thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Most of us feed F/t. Safer for your snake. Especially as they get older and move up in rodent size.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast