Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

1 members and 3,181 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Missing head scales

Curious what other experienced keepers think of this. Ive had this girl well over a year and seems that she is slowly losing more scales on her head. She's kept in a rack, no real way for it to be from rubbing, she's incredibly shy and not the escape type at all. Doesnt seem like the skin is irritated in any way, just that her "bald" patch has slowly gotten larger. Ive had other snakes lose a scale here and there from scratches or shedding but they eventually filled back in unlike her. I honestly have no interest in scaleless/heads so Im not familiar with if their bald patches change much with age and would find it hard to believe the person I got her from somehow missed such a drastic price changer. Since she is so shy she does ball up quite a bit so thats the only added friction I can think of on her head but thats not like an all day thing. she is a great eater and over 800g now, i never really handle her besides cleaning and basic health checks. Humidity issues would be my only other guess but I know thats in check, all perfect sheds and she's the only BP I've had this on out of a couple hundred. Thoughts? I plan to contact the breeder and also take better pictures to confirm if shes losing a few more with each shed or they come off randomly.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,840 Times in 11,852 Posts
    Your BP is one of a very rare morph....the bald python. (-I couldn't help myself) That really looks like a head rub to me...very gradual damage that
    makes her lose a little more with subsequent sheds. Those scales are not likely to grow back, sorry. She's still gorgeous...remember that none of us goes
    thru life without a few scars.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-19-2018 at 06:41 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You'd be surprise by their ability to rub their head in a rack and lose scales on the top of their head, I used to have a spider that did just that.

No biggy just a cosmestic issue, so long it's stays dry and clean and does not get infected you are all good.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 05-19-2018 at 07:55 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (05-19-2018)