Quote Originally Posted by B.P.'s 4me View Post
I'm not in Toronto, but close.... I live in the Niagara region. I've always loved Hognosed snakes so purchased a male hatchling about 3 years ago. Not sure I'd get another. LOL
The first year was great, he was a SUPER eater and no problem to keep at all. However, things started going downhill in the 2nd fall season. He stopped eating at the end of September, had one feed in late December than nothing at all until late April. I was having FITS!!!

He did the same thing the following year and in 2017 he fed only once in August, had quit entirely by early September, ate NOTHING all winter and FINALLY on May 6th became active in his bin, and took two hopper mice yesterday. Hopefully he'll continue eating through the summer and I'm assuming we'll go through the same thing next year.

I keep him in a bin (think it's about 13 litres) with cypress mulch, a heat mat and temps. of 80 F. at one end and room temp. at the other, which, in the winter is about 67 F. He will NOT use the warm end of his bin at all during the winter months, I'm always finding him wrapped around his water dish at the cold end. If I move him to the warm end, he goes right back to the cold end. In the summer ambient temps. range from about 78 F. - 83 F., which seems to keep him happy.
I suppose I should be happy that he's so low maintenance and inexpensive to feed, but the reality is, he's giving me grey hair!!!!

I will say though, that he has a wonderful temperament, when he DOES eat, he's a really good eater, has great sheds and is really no trouble at all.
Male are naturally more difficult when it comes to food but if you do not keep them properly temps wise it does not help.