Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,302

4 members and 3,298 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Hognose husbandry questions!

I'm planning to get a hoggie soon (my first snake!) and after some research, I still have some husbandry questions. Can any hognose owners help me out?

- for a PVC enclosure, should I use a RHP or UTH? is just one of either of those sufficient for a hoggie? or do I need both?
    - I'm considering getting a herpstat. For whichever heating setup you'd recommend, which model is appropriate? Would an intro+ be enough? I don't really know which to get.
    - is ambient humidity with a moist hide sufficient? (is the moist hide for regular use or just during sheds?)
    - should I make any modifications to a PVC cage? someone suggested I make additional vents or widen the existing ones for better airflow for a colubrid. In general, is there anything else you need to do with PVC other than put holes in it for wiring?

Thanks in advance

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Welcome to the forum!!
    ...and soon to the wonderful world of snake keeping!!

Hognose are cool little snakes, and relatively easy to keep.

Have you decided male or female? Or do you not have a preference?

Either way, I would strongly advise getting a snake that is a little older and a well established eater. Hognose, especially males, can be extremely tricky as hatchlings and juveniles. As a beginner to snakes it can be very difficult to get them eating. I ended up getting my hognose, Cosmo, kinda by accident because the two previous owners couldn't get him to eat. Here's the links to his story if you're interested:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-to-the-family

Now to answer your questions:

1) you're probably going to need both. Being in Canada, unless you keep your house pretty warm, you'll need the UTH to provide a hot spot and an additional heat source for ambient temps and to provide a gradient. You could also use a heat lamp with a heat bulb or a CHE. Since hognose don't need high humidity, a bulb/CHE would work fine.

2) I have not used herpstats, so won't be any help there. However, their reputation is stellar, so it's a great choice.

3) hognose don't require any additional humidity and it should actually be kept below 30% and bumped to 35%, no more than 40% during shed.

4) whether you need to make adjustments or not is something you'll kinda have to figure out once you have the enclosure set up. Unfortunately, there's no one cookie cutter answer for this since climates, how people keep temps in their houses, etc...etc...all play too large a factor.

Hope I helped, good luck and feel free to ask any questions you may have moving forward!

And keep us posted!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Before I even answer how big is the PVC enclosure you are planning on and how old is the hognose you are planning on aquiring?

If you plan on a 2017 or 2018 animal you are YEARS away from a PVC cage.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-08-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Welcome to the forum!!
    Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    ...and soon to the wonderful world of snake keeping!!

Hognose are cool little snakes, and relatively easy to keep.

Have you decided male or female? Or do you not have a preference?

Either way, I would strongly advise getting a snake that is a little older and a well established eater. Hognose, especially males, can be extremely tricky as hatchlings and juveniles. As a beginner to snakes it can be very difficult to get them eating. I ended up getting my hognose, Cosmo, kinda by accident because the two previous owners couldn't get him to eat. Here's the links to his story if you're interested:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-to-the-family

Now to answer your questions:

1) you're probably going to need both. Being in Canada, unless you keep your house pretty warm, you'll need the UTH to provide a hot spot and an additional heat source for ambient temps and to provide a gradient. You could also use a heat lamp with a heat bulb or a CHE. Since hognose don't need high humidity, a bulb/CHE would work fine.

2) I have not used herpstats, so won't be any help there. However, their reputation is stellar, so it's a great choice.

3) hognose don't require any additional humidity and it should actually be kept below 30% and bumped to 35%, no more than 40% during shed.

4) whether you need to make adjustments or not is something you'll kinda have to figure out once you have the enclosure set up. Unfortunately, there's no one cookie cutter answer for this since climates, how people keep temps in their houses, etc...etc...all play too large a factor.

Hope I helped, good luck and feel free to ask any questions you may have moving forward!

And keep us posted!
    Thanks for your answers!

I've heard females are better eaters so I'd rather go with a girl, but nothing is set in stone yet. I also do want an older snake, and I'm hoping there'll be one available near me in the near future, but from what a breeder told me they might only have juveniles when I intend to buy... this is all very much still in the preliminary planning stage, though, and I haven't bought any supplies either, so anything could happen haha.

Regarding heating - I guess I'll have to figure out my room temps to properly plan for that. I'm moving to a new place soon so I can't do anything about that yet, but I do usually like to keep things pretty warm in the winter, I'm estimating in the 73 ~ 75 range (I'm not too good with the cold lol)? And it does get hot in the summer where I am, we try not to use much a/c. I'm actually more concerned about spring/autumn, where there's more temperature fluctuations. In this case, would you still recommend a UTH + ambient heat combo?

I'll for sure post here once I get the snake!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Before I even answer how big is the PVC enclosure you are planning on and how old is the hognose you are planning on aquiring?

If you plan on a 2017 or 2018 animal you are YEARS away from a PVC cage.
    I'm thinking of a 24x24x12 one (30 gallon I think), would that be sufficient for an adult? The cage makers here only offer 24' and 48' long ones for some reason, and I know for sure that 48' is overkill for a hognose. If I have to, I'll of course be willing to start out with tubs or whatever else (which I'll also need advice on setting up).

Ugh, that's the thing. Ideally I want an older established female, but I don't know if that'll pan out as the selection here seems pretty limited. This is my first time purchasing an animal and I'm not sure how to go about getting exactly what I'm looking for.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Hognose husbandry questions!

Quote Originally Posted by caravaggiooo View Post
    I'm planning to get a hoggie soon (my first snake!) and after some research, I still have some husbandry questions. Can any hognose owners help me out?

- for a PVC enclosure, should I use a RHP or UTH? is just one of either of those sufficient for a hoggie? or do I need both?
    - I'm considering getting a herpstat. For whichever heating setup you'd recommend, which model is appropriate? Would an intro+ be enough? I don't really know which to get.
    - is ambient humidity with a moist hide sufficient? (is the moist hide for regular use or just during sheds?)
    - should I make any modifications to a PVC cage? someone suggested I make additional vents or widen the existing ones for better airflow for a colubrid. In general, is there anything else you need to do with PVC other than put holes in it for wiring?

Thanks in advance
    Hello there neighbour!! I thought I would chime in and welcome you to this AWESOME community of snake lovers. First off, what breeders have you been talking to?? There are just a couple here in the GTA I would recommend. First one would be Dino Reptiles. He deals with only Hognose and BP's. His prices are high, but he has some very nice looking snakes. Second would be Tails and Scales. They have various kinds of snakes but lately have a lot of Hognose available and at reasonable prices. One thing I like about them is that they make sure every single Hognose is eating properly before they sell them. I got my little guy from them and he is an awesome eater... Both these breeders go to the monthly Expo here in Toronto, so it's an opportunity to go by and see their snakes in person as well as talk to them one on one. Don't be afraid to purchase a juvi age Hognose. If they are started out properly then there shouldn't be an issue with feeding. I currently have my guy in a 9 quart bin with aspen substrate, water bowl and hide and he LOVES his enclosure. I've also had 2 sucessful sheds from him, so I am pleased with his progress. Anyway, don't be afraid to ask questions as this is the way you learn as you go. And if you ever want a friend to go with to the Expos just give me a shout!!! Good luck and we will be looking for photos of your new hoggie real soon.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm thinking of a 24x24x12 one (30 gallon I think), would that be sufficient for an adult? The cage makers here only offer 24' and 48' long ones for some reason, and I know for sure that 48' is overkill for a hognose. If I have to, I'll of course be willing to start out with tubs or whatever else (which I'll also need advice on setting up).

Ugh, that's the thing. Ideally I want an older established female, but I don't know if that'll pan out as the selection here seems pretty limited. This is my first time purchasing an animal and I'm not sure how to go about getting exactly what I'm looking for.
    For an adult female you are looking at 20 gallons which is sufficient for most animal 30 gallons I can see that for a 500 to 700 grams female which is on the large end when it comes to size.

If you get an hatchling or Juvy you are looking at 2 to 3 years depending on feeding regimen before the animal is the right size (200 grams) to move in something that big.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 05-09-2018 at 07:55 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    Hello there neighbour!! I thought I would chime in and welcome you to this AWESOME community of snake lovers. First off, what breeders have you been talking to?? There are just a couple here in the GTA I would recommend. First one would be Dino Reptiles. He deals with only Hognose and BP's. His prices are high, but he has some very nice looking snakes. Second would be Tails and Scales. They have various kinds of snakes but lately have a lot of Hognose available and at reasonable prices. One thing I like about them is that they make sure every single Hognose is eating properly before they sell them. I got my little guy from them and he is an awesome eater... Both these breeders go to the monthly Expo here in Toronto, so it's an opportunity to go by and see their snakes in person as well as talk to them one on one. Don't be afraid to purchase a juvi age Hognose. If they are started out properly then there shouldn't be an issue with feeding. I currently have my guy in a 9 quart bin with aspen substrate, water bowl and hide and he LOVES his enclosure. I've also had 2 sucessful sheds from him, so I am pleased with his progress. Anyway, don't be afraid to ask questions as this is the way you learn as you go. And if you ever want a friend to go with to the Expos just give me a shout!!! Good luck and we will be looking for photos of your new hoggie real soon.
    Hi, great to see another fellow Torontonian! Thank you for the welcome! Dino Reptiles is actually the first I contacted, and I'm currently chatting with Norm about husbandry stuff - he says he'll have hatchlings available in the summer, so I'll be looking out for that. I'd be happy with a normal, so I hopefully prices will be that bad. Tails and Scales was on my radar, too - I might also swing by there and see what they have. I saw them both at the most recent expo, and honestly they both seem great and I'd be happy with a snake from either of them. Only reason I'm talking with Dino Reptiles right now is because I haven't gotten a reply from Tails and Scales yet, haha.

(I've also been looking at All Reptiles and Port Credit Pets, haven't heard back from them either)

I'm now intending to start with a tub for sure, since it's looking more and more likely that I'll be getting a young animal. I think it's actually for the better, since now I can take more time to figure out the best adult caging options for later. Where did you get your bin, by the way? I'm assuming I can buy those easily somewhere like Canadian Tire?

I'd love to take you up on that expo outing offer someday, though! I don't know anyone interested in reptiles so that'd be really fun.

For an adult female you are looking at 20 gallons which is sufficient for most animal 30 gallons I can see that for a 500 to 700 grams female which is on the large end when it comes to size.

If you get an hatchling or Juvy you are looking at 2 to 3 years depending on feeding regimen before the animal is the right size (200 grams) to move in something that big.
    As I said above, I've now realized that I should start with a tub, and I'll be sure to find something appropriate for the snake's forever home when the time comes
    Last edited by caravaggiooo; 05-10-2018 at 02:25 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Hi, great to see another fellow Torontonian! Thank you for the welcome! Dino Reptiles is actually the first I contacted, and I'm currently chatting with Norm about husbandry stuff - he says he'll have hatchlings available in the summer, so I'll be looking out for that. I'd be happy with a normal, so I hopefully prices will be that bad. Tails and Scales was on my radar, too - I might also swing by there and see what they have. I saw them both at the most recent expo, and honestly they both seem great and I'd be happy with a snake from either of them. Only reason I'm talking with Dino Reptiles right now is because I haven't gotten a reply from Tails and Scales yet, haha.

(I've also been looking at All Reptiles and Port Credit Pets, haven't heard back from them either)

I'm now intending to start with a tub for sure, since it's looking more and more likely that I'll be getting a young animal. I think it's actually for the better, since now I can take more time to figure out the best adult caging options for later. Where did you get your bin, by the way? I'm assuming I can buy those easily somewhere like Canadian Tire?

I'd love to take you up on that expo outing offer someday, though! I don't know anyone interested in reptiles so that'd be really fun.

As I said above, I've now realized that I should start with a tub, and I'll be sure to find something appropriate for the snake's forever home when the time comes
    I will go ahead and send you a PM, so check your inbox. I have some more info to share with you about the locals in the GTA...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

caravaggiooo (05-10-2018)

Thanks
    I found my tubs at walmart!

Thanks

Thanks in advance
    I'm not in Toronto, but close.... I live in the Niagara region. I've always loved Hognosed snakes so purchased a male hatchling about 3 years ago. Not sure I'd get another. LOL
    The first year was great, he was a SUPER eater and no problem to keep at all. However, things started going downhill in the 2nd fall season. He stopped eating at the end of September, had one feed in late December than nothing at all until late April. I was having FITS!!!

He did the same thing the following year and in 2017 he fed only once in August, had quit entirely by early September, ate NOTHING all winter and FINALLY on May 6th became active in his bin, and took two hopper mice yesterday. Hopefully he'll continue eating through the summer and I'm assuming we'll go through the same thing next year.

I keep him in a bin (think it's about 13 litres) with cypress mulch, a heat mat and temps. of 80 F. at one end and room temp. at the other, which, in the winter is about 67 F. He will NOT use the warm end of his bin at all during the winter months, I'm always finding him wrapped around his water dish at the cold end. If I move him to the warm end, he goes right back to the cold end. In the summer ambient temps. range from about 78 F. - 83 F., which seems to keep him happy.
    I suppose I should be happy that he's so low maintenance and inexpensive to feed, but the reality is, he's giving me grey hair!!!!

I will say though, that he has a wonderful temperament, when he DOES eat, he's a really good eater, has great sheds and is really no trouble at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast