Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,303

3 members and 3,300 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Threaded View

Thanks

Question Dubia Roach Breeding Questions!

Hi! So, I'm planning on breeding dubia roaches for my two crested geckos Bea and Pocket (3yrs old and 8mo old). I've never bred any feeders before so this is a first for me! I've been feeding them dusted crickets every two weeks, but I just feel they should be getting more protein and stuff

I think I'm gonna go with JoshsFrogs for the roaches. Do 5 adult males, 10 adult females, and 100pk small-mediums sound okay to you? Prices seem nice too!
    • 5PK adult males $4.95
    • 10PK adult females $17.50
    • 100PK small/mediums $12.99

As for setup, I'd get a bin with JoshsFrogs "CocoCradle" (left over from bioactive kit) substrate, and a couple egg flats on one side. On the other side, I'd have food and a container holding those water absorbing crystals (so babies don't drown). Over the side, with egg flats, I think I'll put a very low wattage bulb to get the side up to low-mid 80's, as my room is usually high 70's.

Now my questions...
    1. Whats some good things to gut load with? I was thinking like oranges and bananas, but what do you guys have success with? I want to make sure it's healthy for the geckos
    2. Should I still dust the roaches before I feed? I know dubia roaches are high in calcium and the geckos are eating Pangea, so I don't wanna go overboard!
    3. How often should I feed? Like once a day or, once a month? And how much? Both of my geckos are a bit small, so I'm hoping they grow good!
    4. Do they attract any other critters? Fruit flies/mice etc
    5. I heard they don't smell, is that true?
    6. It seems like adult roaches are WAY too big to feed. Can I... Cut them up..? Or just stick to feeding only babies/ medium-ish sizes?

Thank you!
    Last edited by GpBp; 05-03-2018 at 08:33 PM.
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ