Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,204

2 members and 3,202 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Re: So, I decided to keep him. Name is Monty Python

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    To answer a few things being said about me.

1) Never said I was going to breed. I said that a friend of mine approached me about breeding and buying the eggs. I want more experience with larger snakes before I even go that way. Last thing I want it to try to remove eggs from a mother that would be protecting her eggs right now. I am just educating myself as much as I can and will continue to do so. I would also want a couple of years of breeding BPs or something smaller before going anywhere near breeding.

2) I ask a lot of questions for several reasons. I like to learn as much as I can. When I had snakes as a child I did not have internet or other people to talk to about husbandry so now that I am back into snakes I ask a lot of questions because the information is more readily available. I work hard to provide good healthy homes for all my animals. I love them and will continue to do so.

3) No reason to lie about anything here. I thought was cool find so I shared it. That simple.

4) Keeping him is not an easy decision but is based on knowing I can and will provide a good home for him. I only planned on owning 1 retic. If he belongs to the neighbor I will be happy to reunite them with him but also taking some clamps and a lock with me as a gift. Once again it is about making sure he is cared for. If their snake is home then I will happily care for him with NO plans on breeding him. We will find out Saturday and I will update then.

5) I love my animals dearly and will do everything I can to make sure they are happy and healthy. I took Rainbow to get her eye looked at. I took Lucy to get her injuries looked at (she is a rescue and was attacked by live prey before I got her). I will research husbandry to make sure I am on track.

Please all you trolls, find something else to do. I am just a herp lover that will be a snake parent for a long time.

To everyone who always offers helpful advice, Thank you so much.

Peace.
    oh i'm not trolling. my comments are legit concerns or questions. u gotta admit, it is questionable when u find a snake one day and the next day u make another thread saying that u decided to keep it and give him a name? or your Retic breeder friend couldn't help ID his morph but a petshop can do so accurately? if a thread like this were made on Fauna, the sleuths over there would be all over it to confirm or debunk it.

also i don't think anyone doubts your love for your animals or passion for herps but not everyone is gonna pat you on the back just for getting a cool snake. i think some of us are just trying to say slow down buddy! i also want emphasize what 350Z said earlier (quoted below).

Quote Originally Posted by 350z View Post
    For the people who think I have on a tinfoil hat I can't keep these guys in my state due in part to individuals owning them that had no business dealing or keeping the big constrictors. That breeder is located in Texas as is the cage company OP uses. About the biggest thing I can own is an Olive, which I possess and had to think long and hard about adding.

Why fib if you thought people would be accepting of purchasing a snake to breed?

The advice that needed to be offered in the skyrivers thread makes me disagree fundamentally with someone of that experience level signing themselves up to deal with a mainland female on eggs.
    be responsible w/ what u keep, breed and (honestly) sell to. lost pets, dumped animals have a big impact on the environment, hobby and keepers in all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    As for just owning reptiles, as long as you do the research and know what you are getting into and can afford it, I see no reason to not plunge in. I steered clear of GTPs for about 35 years simply because of all the horror stories i heard and you know what, i regret listening to them

And i agree with April, it would be cool to know that you have a neighbor who is into large constrictors too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    That is one reason I don't have a GTP is the "attitude". I owned a tree boa and she was grumpy as heck. I hear the GTPs are easier and less grumpy. I don't have any experience with them though. Love their beauty of them though.
    i've talked to few GTP breeders and keepers. they're fine when they're established feeders so getting them as a juvie is the best start and u still get to see their color change. but i would advise against a noobie getting a neonate. they are real pretty green pet rocks and still on my list.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-03-2018),Kira (05-03-2018),MD_Pythons (05-03-2018),MissterDog (05-04-2018),tttaylorrr (05-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    i've talked to few GTP breeders and keepers. they're fine when they're established feeders so getting them as a juvie is the best start and u still get to see their color change. but i would advise against a noobie getting a neonate. they are real pretty green pet rocks and still on my list.
    Pat was about 6 months old when i got him. He had only eaten once or maybe twice with the owner gal and she told me, he was a problem feeder. He also was kind of dehydrated and about as thick as a pencil if that. I am a GTP noob. Fast forward just over 4 months, Pat has about doubled his size, doubled his girth and is nice and well hydrated, pooping and peeing like clockwork and doesnt miss a beat for his mouse every week(pushed it out to 10 days now). Just because you are new at a reptile doesnt mean you shouldnt get said reptile. As long as you know what you getting into and did the research and are able to give it what it needs, then like i said, no reason not to go for it. The problem is when a person just impulse buys a pet and then decides they cant afford or care for it for whatever reason. Everyone has to learn somehow and first hand knowledge is the best teacher imo.

And yes, GTPs are pretty much a BP on a stick except at night. Pat rivals Caesar at night. He spent most of the night, digging in his substrate, climbing up and down his perches and trying to sit on his live plants. The guy is a ball of energy 3 days after eating up until the next feed day.

But i also like challenges. So far i have managed to get a labeled problem BP feeder(Dottie) to go from not eating to eating FT rats as a baby. I got a labeled problem feeder JCP who would only eat live black mice at night to eating FT rats any time of the day. And i finally got Pat who was dehydrated and a questionable feeder to eating like clockwork. Heck the owner at the reptile shop says i got a way with snakes and can get anything to eat lol. All it involves is knowing what the snakes need as far as husbandry and security. The snake will take care of the eating part lol.

And here is Pat again!!
    Last edited by Sauzo; 05-03-2018 at 04:15 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Prognathodon (05-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i agree that research goes a long way. i don't think enough peeps do their homework and just want info spoon fed. research, learn, ask good questions, get yo experience level up, repeat.

also i'm acquainted w/ Kayla. i visit her shop whenever i'm in the area and buy some feeders or whatever and we always chat at the expo's. they have a good variety of animals. once i she had this huge Kingsnake. i was like Indigo sized. i'm trying to look for old pix i have of it right now, but anyways i think i mentioned i saw your GTP or it's clutchmate there a few months back:

lol i probably held your JCP if u got it from Hewitt. i don't remember if it was Kayla or the previous owner, but she put in my hand before i knew it for a pretty good sales pitch. i got pix somewhere but it was super cute and i was really close to to buy it.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Post Re: So, I decided to keep him. Name is Monty Python

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    i agree that research goes a long way. i don't think enough peeps do their homework and just want info spoon fed. research, learn, ask good questions, get yo experience level up, repeat.

also i'm acquainted w/ Kayla. i visit her shop whenever i'm in the area and buy some feeders or whatever and we always chat at the expo's. they have a good variety of animals. once i she had this huge Kingsnake. i was like Indigo sized. i'm trying to look for old pix i have of it right now, but anyways i think i mentioned i saw your GTP or it's clutchmate there a few months back:

lol i probably held your JCP if u got it from Hewitt. i don't remember if it was Kayla or the previous owner, but she put in my hand before i knew it for a pretty good sales pitch. i got pix somewhere but it was super cute and i was really close to to buy it.
    Might have been a clutch mate. She has sold about 6 of them when i talked to her. And you probably did hold my old JCP. I bought it from her and then traded it back to her for Rango lol. I got it switched over to feeding but could never get it broken of the crazy defensiveness. She ended up selling it to some guy in Tacoma i believe when i talked to her last.

And yes, I got Pat from Hewitt. I met Kayla when she bought the store off the original owner, Steve. He offered it to me but i didnt have cash on hand so he sold it to Kayla. I used to give her dubias and she would just credit me with rats and mice for my snakes lol. The original owner, Steve didnt do GTPs so it had to have been Kayla. And yeah, when i saw Pat, he was on the floor in a small little cage. I talked to Kayla as like i said, i have known her for probably about 3 years now and she told me she cant really get him to eat reliable but she said, i seem to get anything to eat so she wouldnt be too worried about selling him to me. I took the challenge and now you see how Pat is.

That one looks like the one that was sold already when i got there. She had 2. One in a small cage which was Pat and a bigger one in a taller cage which looks like that one in the pic. Pat was sooooo tiny when i got him. Kayla said, he was the smallest she has seen but he was also one of the prettier ones she has seen. I think he has made up his smallness now lol. He has doubled his size and girth.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 05-03-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Update

I almost did not update this because of some of the things being said but here it goes.

When my neighbor got home they found their boy secured in his cage so the previous owner is still a mystery. For now I will take good care of him and see where it goes from here. I will not update this thread any longer.

Peace

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-08-2018)

Thanks
    Well, hey you tried. Like i've said, not your responsibility to go out looking for the owner. If you told the most obvious places a person missing their animal would look and there is no bites, i say grats on a new snake.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Skyrivers (05-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Well, hey you tried. Like i've said, not your responsibility to go out looking for the owner. If you told the most obvious places a person missing their animal would look and there is no bites, i say grats on a new snake.

Thanks.

He seams healthy so far. Even if I rehome him would be after quarantine is over and I know he is healthy for sure. He has a great personality so far.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    (Moved this question to your High Scale Enclosure thread...)
    Last edited by hilabeans; 05-08-2018 at 11:16 AM.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

Thanks
    Enjoy your new snake. Don’t worry about what others think or say. At the end of the day it belongs to you.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    Doesn't seem like a snake that would have been dumped, & his former owner couldn't have been very responsible if he was allowed to escape & was not found...so
    good luck with him, be the good owner he needs & deserves.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345