Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,432

2 members and 3,430 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Unhappy How Do You Deal With Stage Fright?

Okay, so here's my story...

I'm playing in an orchestra. I've done this a few times, and I'm not too concerned. But I'm also doing a violin piece along with a piano accompanist. I'm stressing out right now! It was a last minute suggestion by my friend. It's in 2-3 weeks, and I can't say no because everybody wants me to do it, and I want to do it too, but I get so nervous.

I have played the piece well enough that if I make a mistake I can just go on, but in the the last measure, I have a quick chord (E {D String}, C# {A String}, and A {E String}/A major chord) right at the end, and sometimes when I play the chord I misplace my fingers and it sounds like a really bad squeak. I've been practicing everyday and I guess I'm getting the hang of it. I'm just so scared.
    Do you guys have any advice for stage fright and how to get rid of it? I have a really bad case of stage fright and every time before I get ready to play, my heart beats fast, and I tremble. I know it sounds weird, but I really need advice for my stage fright
    I know this isn't a forum for instruments, but I don't know where else to ask.

Thank you in advance.

Noodle:
    0.1 Normal Ball Python (Waffles)

Darling Doggy
    0.1. Bouncy Boxer

"I Walked Through Fire to Save My Life"
    -Sia Furler

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: How Do You Deal With Stage Fright?

Breathe, relax, practice, be confident, and do your best. You can do this. I believe in you.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

WNC (04-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The awesome thing about playing an instrument in front of people is that you can pretty easily block out the audience. Focus on the music, your playing, the violin. Take a few deep breaths and forget the people.

For the final chord, I would say maybe come up with a backup plan. Maybe you can just play the top two notes of the chord or even just the A? If you find that you are not as at ease as you had hoped while performing maybe knowing that you have a fall back plan for that last chord will help ease your mind. Don't plan on using the backup option, because I know you can do the chord, but just know that the option is there if it helps.

I have some of the worst stage fright ever, but in many ways I used to find playing an instrument in front of people to be fun (I use the past tense because I don't really have the opportunity to do it at this point). Conquer it and be brave and see how awesome it feels to do something that you are good at in front of people.
    - Emily

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

WNC (04-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    What you are experiencing is perfectly normal; in fact during a public speaking class I took I learned that performing or speaking to an audience was one of the top three things people have said they fear the most. Dying came in well behind it!

Everyone has heard the saying "Practice makes perfect" but it really should be "Perfect practice makes perfect". So, when practicing the parts where you have trouble, slow down the tempo a bit if you need to, and make sure you are technically correct and smooth; the speed will come on its own after you have the muscle memory (I play piano).

Also when you have a few free moments, visualize yourself playing the piece correctly, the audience applauding, etc. Performing well is just as much a mental as physical exercise and if you mentally prepare yourself to perform the piece you have a better chance of succeeding.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

WNC (04-27-2018)

Thanks

At least you have 2-3 weeks yet! Like the others said, just keep practicing, have a backup plan but don't aim for the backup plan, and focus on your music rather than the audience. Can you play with your eyes closed? Maybe if you wouldn't have to see the audience, you could better imagine they aren't there. Or, practice in front of a family member or a small group of friends a couple times first. Just believe in yourself and don't overthink it! Sometimes, the worst part of doing something is just the anticipation, not the actual act itself.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to targciv For This Useful Post:

WNC (04-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As others have said. Just focus on what you're doing. Try and block everything else out.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

WNC (04-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    I have to do a fair bit of public speaking for my work. Occasionally, during critical presentations in front of executives, I have experienced debilitating stage fright. During one presentation my brain came to a screeching hault and I had to publically regroup, which was humiliating.

Since then, my doctor prescribed beta blockers for me. It takes just enough of the edge off to get me thru it. I rarely take them. Only when I feel my nerves will get the better of me.

Generally if I can get thru the first 60 seconds or so I'm golden. It's that first minute where my heart is pounding in my ears and I can't breathe - ugh, the worst.

Proud of you for doing it, though!! I don't have an ounce of musical talent. Record it and post it here afterwards!!
    Last edited by hilabeans; 04-26-2018 at 12:21 AM.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

WNC (04-27-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    I have to do a fair bit of public speaking for my work. Occasionally, during critical presentations in front of executives, I have experienced debilitating stage fright. During one presentation my brain came to a screeching hault and I had to publically regroup, which was humiliating.

Since then, my doctor prescribed beta blockers for me. It takes just enough of the edge off to get me thru it. I rarely take them. Only when I feel my nerves will get the better of me.

Generally if I can get thru the first 60 seconds or so I'm golden. It's that first minute where my heart is pounding in my ears and I can't breathe - ugh, the worst.

Proud of you for doing it, though!! I don't have an ounce of musical talent. Record it and post it here afterwards!!
    I have to second this 1000000%. Of course, it is important to mentally prepare yourself for a performance, in addition to being musically prepared. But if you find that your body has a strong reaction, even though you've done your best to get "centered" and whatnot (i.e., shortness of breath, shaking hands and voice, tightness in the diaphragm, etc..), MANY musicians use beta blockers to improve their performance. All they do is block your "fight or flight" response. You won't feel weird, they're non-habit forming, and you only need to take them before a big performance. The only thing you will notice is that you simply won't feel nervous.

Now, if the issue stems from a trauma, such as a music teacher who was cruel to you, or you fell off the stage during an important concert or something....that's a different story. But if it's run-of-the-mill performance anxiety, I highly recommend beta blockers. Good luck to you!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

WNC (04-27-2018)

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Playing an instrument or singing a song are different than public speaking. With speaking, not only do you have to remember your own words but you have to engage the audience to keep them interested. But you don't have to worry about that with music. The crowd mainly cares about the music. Be in the music you are playing. If you can do that, the crowd disappears. And the passion of your music will keep the crowd engaged.
    - Mason

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MasonC2K For This Useful Post:

WNC (04-27-2018)