Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,361

3 members and 3,358 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    We just had a warning go off on the phones and I freaked out. Turned out it was for flash flood warnings (West TN doesn't flash flood but they use that term anyway) and I was furious.

We had strait line winds last year that took out giant trees like they were toothpicks so I don't take these warnings lightly.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

zina10 (04-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: WAY to close for comfort !!!!!!! close call..

Stay safe Zina and all.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

4. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

zina10 (04-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    We just had a warning go off on the phones and I freaked out. Turned out it was for flash flood warnings (West TN doesn't flash flood but they use that term anyway) and I was furious.

We had strait line winds last year that took out giant trees like they were toothpicks so I don't take these warnings lightly.

We had one of those go through the town near Ft. Rucker 2 years ago ! It blew out the windows of every car at a bank as well as take down several large trees. It looked like a tornado went through there, it was crazy !
    That is what scares me, those falling trees. I literally watched one go down in front of me once while driving. I came to a stop about 20 feet away from it. They hit hard !

I have a weird feeling this is going to be one of those crazy years when it comes to weather. We had our first tornado in February. Also with little to no warning. Sirens at the last minute, and that was all.

Even the Meteorologist are saying that the one on Ft. Rucker today was a mystery. There was no indication on radar or anything. It caught everyone completely by surprise, since it didn't seem to be tornado weather, signs or anything. And no warnings, nothing. Had it been half a mile closer in my direction, I would have been in the middle of it. I'm going to listen to my horse from now on, LOL. I kept fussing at her to stop acting so stupid as she was dancing around wild eyed.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Dang!!! Mother Nature can be a beast when she wants to be.
    It seems like there are more natural disasters the past decade or so then I remember in the years before that.
    Between hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, fires, etc...its crazy.
    I have a theory (based solely on my own thoughts, hahaha) that Mother Nature is ticked off that we're ruining her planet by over populating and therefore tearing down her land and building on it. She's angry and natural disasters are her way of warning us to cut the crap. The human race better start heeding her warnings...

Anyway, Zina, I'm glad you and your animals are safe!!! That must have been pretty spooky to realize how close it was without you even knowing.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (04-23-2018),richardhind1972 (04-23-2018),zina10 (04-23-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Really glad you all ok

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

zina10 (04-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Today we had a prediction of some storms and rain, nothing to major, and not supposed to hit until the afternoon.

So I decided to go to the Horse Barn early, to let mine and my friends horses out to the pasture, while doing chores. Figured I had plenty of time to finish up and get them back to their stalls before things got bad.

This Horse Barn is actually on a Military installation. Its in a VERY wooded area.

When I got there, it was cloudy, drizzling and a bit windy. Not to bad, I thought. So I took the 2 girls out and started on chores. And it starts raining, pretty good, too. No thunder, though, no lightning. So I finish chores and I get a text message saying that Ft. Rucker is under Tornado warning. I think, huh? I look up, its very cloudy, drizzling again, but I hear no thunder and see nothing to bad. But off I go towards the pasture to get the girls.

Then the sirens go off. Well CRAPPOLA !!! Off I RUN to go get the horses. My horse sees me and comes racing to the gate, screaming and upset. The other horse of course is still out there, none to bothered. So I tie my girl up and run to get the other one and we all RUN back towards our area. Sirens still blaring. I still see nothing in the sky, thinking, I'm probably running for nothing, making a fool of myself. My horse is still upset and acting crazy, jumping all around me while we run.

Get back to our area and I give them their food, sirens stop. Rain gets stronger, but I still see nothing bad. Then I drive home and literally right past the golf course (which is next to the horse barn) I start seeing damage. Power poles down. Trees down. WHOA !! And more. Firetrucks, police coming from all over. I keep driving towards the gate and home. Weather got worse again going home and its still bad.

Well, I found out we had one touch down, right next to the barn..I guess since cloud cover was low and heavy, I never saw it, despite it being so close. My horse sure knew something bad was on the way. I also found out that the entire military installation is now closed off, they aren't letting anyone come in at this point. Feel bad for the other people that can't get their horses off the pasture or go feed them. Hopefully they will re-open in a couple of hours. But the bad weather is still going on right now..

Someone made this picture, there is also a video, but that is on Facebook so I can't post it.

My family lives in Troy. Surprised I didn't get a call. Will check on them today.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

zina10 (04-23-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    We had one of those go through the town near Ft. Rucker 2 years ago ! It blew out the windows of every car at a bank as well as take down several large trees. It looked like a tornado went through there, it was crazy !
    That is what scares me, those falling trees. I literally watched one go down in front of me once while driving. I came to a stop about 20 feet away from it. They hit hard !

I have a weird feeling this is going to be one of those crazy years when it comes to weather. We had our first tornado in February. Also with little to no warning. Sirens at the last minute, and that was all.

Even the Meteorologist are saying that the one on Ft. Rucker today was a mystery. There was no indication on radar or anything. It caught everyone completely by surprise, since it didn't seem to be tornado weather, signs or anything. And no warnings, nothing. Had it been half a mile closer in my direction, I would have been in the middle of it. I'm going to listen to my horse from now on, LOL. I kept fussing at her to stop acting so stupid as she was dancing around wild eyed.

We had a mystery tornado where I'm from in Indiana years ago (I think I was senior in high school at the time). It was a beautiful, warm day in the spring. I remember driving through town in my jeep with the top down, enjoying the weather. There was a random black cloud that came in, hanging really low, and I thought about heading home or at least putting the top up. All of a sudden the tornado sirens went off scaring the bejesus out of me. I high-tailed it home, and my mom and I watched the cloud from the porch, kind of wondering why the sirens were going off. We never really saw anything, but my grandfather who worked out at the airport said he saw the cloud dip down and touch the ground three or four times south of town. Tore through a corn field and some trees. That was it, no rain, lightning, thunder... the cloud went away and the sun came back out. Weirdest thing ever.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

zina10 (04-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Wow! Close call indeed. You must be living right Zina.

I know how frightening those can be. I’ve witnessed a few up close and personal myself.

I’m so glad you and your animals dodged that one.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

zina10 (04-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,861 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Tornadoes are the weather event that scare me the most. Hurricanes, blizzard/ice storm, typical t-storms, even fire - you usually get plenty of warning that you have to prepare to shelter in place or bug out. With a tornado you may only get a few minutes to get to shelter.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

zina10 (04-23-2018)

Thanks

I need to pay more attention to the weather around me lmao. Usually I don't pay any attention to tornado warnings until I hear sirens. But they are coming rather unexpectedly now aren't they.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

19. The Following User Says Thank You to tegu For This Useful Post:

zina10 (04-23-2018)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast