Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,443

2 members and 3,441 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Boa vs. Woma

Thanks

Boa vs. Woma

I have some questions comparing a MALE BCI vs. a FEMALE WOMA...

1. Which has a faster growth rate?
    2. Which gets bigger, lengthwise?
    3. Which is more active overall?
    4. Which will last in a 4x2 enclosure longest, before I need to move it to a 6x2?
    5. Which is more likely to climb, using branches above and vertical spacing?
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    1. Woma
    2.boa
    3.woma
    4.woma
    5.hard to answe, but my boa was very fond of climbing and many seem to be, I'm not sure about womas.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (04-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Boa vs. Woma

Quote Originally Posted by Charles8088 View Post

4. Which will last in a 4x2 enclosure longest, before I need to move it to a 6x2?
    Since the other guy gave you the answers, I just wanted to touch base on #5.

So they will both climb, it all depends on your layout and how secure they feel though along with what you give them to climb on. This can also differ with individuals even within the same species.

Even terrestrial animals can and will climb.

I'll have to find the photos of my Desert Horned Viper which sometimes climbs the statue I put in his enclosure.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (04-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I don't know much about Woma's, but know a lot about BCI's. I have a female Ghost BCI, Behira.

BCI's grow really slow and should. You really need to space out feedings as they grow and eater bigger prey. A slow grown BCI is a healthy and long living BCI. People often overfeed and they can die young if grown to fast or if they get too heavy/obese. Having said that, they do not self-regulate. They will eat whenever you offer. Not like BP's at all.

A male BCI (not BCC) should be 4-6+ Feet. Some can get 7FT, but that's rare. They probably average 5-6FT. Females get 6-8FT. Males are also less girth and weigh noticeably less, on average.

BCI's are active, curious, and explore when out. However, in their tank, unless looking for food, are pretty sedentary. They are more active at night. They use hides, but often only partially. They like sticking their heads out and seeing what's going on.

An average male BCI can probably stay in a 4X2 or 5X2 for life. 6X2 would be good too. I plan to keep Behira in a 6X2 for life, unless she gets particularly big, but I can cross that bridge when/if we get there.

BCI's are semi-arboreal. They do like to climb and will given the opportunity. They are also pretty good at it.

The other thing is personality. I don't know much about Woma's, but BCI's in general are very chill (unless food is involved). Behira is a total sweetheart, and loves being out, isn't even head shy, and doesn't get spooked at all.

I think Sauzo said it best when he said that a BCI is like a big BP who doesn't hide or get scared. IMO they are more inquisitive and less startled, but can be very calm when being handled as well. Behira takes redirection well and often falls asleep on my lap.

My favorite things about BCI's is their personality, followed by their beauty (many morphs - pick a color and pattern). I also love the feel of their skin/scales - softer than a BP.

Having said all that, I would hook train a BCI for sure. Behira nailed me in a feeding response (long story but she was thinking food and couldn't see my hand and I reached in to grab her - not aggressive at all and let go and let me pick her up as soon as she realized her mistake), and I have hooked trained since. We have had zero issues since and that will pay dividends when she's 7FT+.

Not sure about Woma's, but again, BCI's have a very strong food response.

Sorry I can't help much with Woma's, but I can't say enough about BCI's. Let me or the other Boa people here know if you have any other questions on Boa's.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (04-21-2018),Jus1More (04-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Wow these two are soooo different in my experience ..

What exactly are you looking for in a snake ??

Handling , display animal ..??

I've had both .. and love both

Womas are pretty special !!

Look great , very inquisitive , unbelievable feeding response .
    Surprisingly fast movers when they need to .. ..

Mine were also active practically 24/7 ..

One of my big regrets was selling them to raise cash ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (04-21-2018),dakski (04-21-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    What exactly are you looking for in a snake ??
    Yep... I already have a ball and mbk... so now wanted to move up to something different. Pretty much looking for what I asked for comparison. I prefer the faster growth rate, though not necessarily as important as some other stuff. Bigger in size is better, though not too huge (reason I said MALE BOI). Being a bit more active, and using branches in the enclosure to climb, THAT one is probably more important.

I definitely like the LOOK of the woma best, though. Love those Eugene Levy lookin' eyebrows! If I get the woma, I will name him Eugene.
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles8088 For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Yep... I already have a ball and mbk... so now wanted to move up to something different. Pretty much looking for what I asked for comparison. I prefer the faster growth rate, though not necessarily as important as some other stuff. Bigger in size is better, though not too huge (reason I said MALE BOI). Being a bit more active, and using branches in the enclosure to climb, THAT one is probably more important.

I definitely like the LOOK of the woma best, though. Love those Eugene Levy lookin' eyebrows! If I get the woma, I will name him Eugene.
    I had a BP, a Corn, a BTS, and some geckos, and this was going to me my last snake/reptile for a long time. I did a lot of research and went with a BCI - and the challenge - over a cool morph like a scaleless corn. That was my 2nd choice. However, love the challenge and killer personality (not literally - just mean cool) of Behira.

I definitely think you cannot go wrong with a BCI, but Woma's are both rare and cool snakes.

As mentioned, it will take a while for a BCI to reach size. I ended up with a holdback 16 (I got Behira in October 2017), so she's already a good size, but nowhere near huge like she will be. She was also established and the breeder was small and knew how chill she was. He works with all his babies. So, you could always get a 16 or 17 instead of an 18 - that would give you a head start.

Good luck and keep us in the loop!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (04-21-2018)