Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,441

3 members and 3,438 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: A Burmese python with a tracking device led Florida officials to a sex party

In Manchester , England there is as ongoing problem for the police ... They use heat-seeking technology in helicopters to search out cannabis farms or small cannabis ventures in domestic houses .... Anyways there have been an uptown reptile keepers being raided as their snake rooms / sheds give off a massive heat signal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (04-18-2018)

Thanks

Re: A Burmese python with a tracking device led Florida officials to a sex party

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    Because if they don't at least keep the numbers at a reasonable low, they will wipe out the animals that actually belong there, and outcompete the native snakes.

Think killing these pythons is tragic? Allowing them to cause the extinction of the native snakes is even worse.
    I think they should be left in place because the subsequent generations have already established themselves within the local eco system and a balance will be reached. As a snake guy I'm also in favour of this because they are an endangered species.

This has also happened with humans in the Americas. But no one is calling for European descendants and by default African descendants to be removed from the continent because the subsequent generations are now established there. Humans are part of the animal kingdom so this situation is no different.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Valyrian; 04-19-2018 at 05:00 AM.
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (04-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian View Post
    I think they should be left in place because the subsequent generations have already established themselves within the local eco system and a balance will be reached. As a snake guy I'm also in favour of this because they are an endangered species.

This has also happened with humans in the Americas. But no one is calling for European descendants and by default African descendants to be removed from the continent because the subsequent generations are now established there. Humans are part of the animal kingdom so this situation is no different.

With invasives there is no balance, just look what happened to the island tortoises in the pacific. Introduced animals outcompete them and rendered most of them extinct. The same would have happened to the Galapagos tortoise had they not managed to eradicate the introduced rats that were eating the young.

Also, as an indigenous decendant, I can tell you that this wasn't exactly a great outcome, but it happened a long time ago and it's too late to do much about it... it might not be too late to do something about the pythons.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (04-19-2018),Valyrian (04-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    With invasives there is no balance, just look what happened to the island tortoises in the pacific. Introduced animals outcompete them and rendered most of them extinct. The same would have happened to the Galapagos tortoise had they not managed to eradicate the introduced rats that were eating the young.

Also, as an indigenous decendant, I can tell you that this wasn't exactly a great outcome, but it happened a long time ago and it's too late to do much about it... it might not be too late to do something about the pythons.
    I dont think they can realistically be eradicated by humans. Not unless some kind of python specific pathogen is deliberately released.

But I read this was all blown out of proportion anyway because most of them were recently wiped out by a harsh winter (by Florida standards). Which would be a case of nature finding a balance - it will always reach an equilibrium.

That's all this is really - nature. I don't believe in man-made vs nature. We evolved on Earth like all other organisms so by default all of our actions and behaviours are a result of nature. We're just seeing it in action.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (04-19-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian View Post
    That's all this is really - nature.
    It's not though.

A boa in Colombia being blow out to sea and swimming to land to find an island (let's say Hog Isle) where it can establish itself and evolve into the ecosystem is nature.
    A bunch of pythons released into an environment a continent away from their native land (by Hurricane Andrew wiping out import facilities and humans releasing 'pets') is man-made ecological disaster.
    There is (most likely) no way those snakes would have ever naturally found there way to Southern Florida.

Like how invasive rats brought on ships to remote locations and the rats destroyed native populates was a mad-made disaster. There is a lot of work being done remove them (https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...s-environment/)

There are feral cats on the galapogos islands because they were stow aways on research and tourist vessels and they are wrecking havoc on the bird and lizard populations. Eradication is ongoing and having some success (http://www.hear.org/galapagos/invasi...jects/cats.htm)

I do agree that burmese and other established non-native reptiles in FL will be difficult if not impossble to fully eradicate. But I don't think that means they should not try, or at least try to control and reduce the population as much as possible. There are a lot of invasive species in FL (and all over the US) wrecking havoc - pigs, cats, other flora and fauna. It's a different world we live in now with all the large amounts of exports/imports, makes is so easy for these types of things to happen. Native species get pushed out and of course the new species will find some sort of balance but that doesn't mean we can't try to preserve the environments as best we can to protect those native species before they are gone. (imo of course).

Regarding humans - well it's a different subject that could get very heated and would quickly take this off topic.
    For the Horde!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (04-19-2018),Starscream (04-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    It's not though.

A boa in Colombia being blow out to sea and swimming to land to find an island (let's say Hog Isle) where it can establish itself and evolve into the ecosystem is nature.
    A bunch of pythons released into an environment a continent away from their native land (by Hurricane Andrew wiping out import facilities and humans releasing 'pets') is man-made ecological disaster.
    There is (most likely) no way those snakes would have ever naturally found there way to Southern Florida.

Like how invasive rats brought on ships to remote locations and the rats destroyed native populates was a mad-made disaster. There is a lot of work being done remove them (https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...s-environment/)

There are feral cats on the galapogos islands because they were stow aways on research and tourist vessels and they are wrecking havoc on the bird and lizard populations. Eradication is ongoing and having some success (http://www.hear.org/galapagos/invasi...jects/cats.htm)

I do agree that burmese and other established non-native reptiles in FL will be difficult if not impossble to fully eradicate. But I don't think that means they should not try, or at least try to control and reduce the population as much as possible. There are a lot of invasive species in FL (and all over the US) wrecking havoc - pigs, cats, other flora and fauna. It's a different world we live in now with all the large amounts of exports/imports, makes is so easy for these types of things to happen. Native species get pushed out and of course the new species will find some sort of balance but that doesn't mean we can't try to preserve the environments as best we can to protect those native species before they are gone. (imo of course).

Regarding humans - well it's a different subject that could get very heated and would quickly take this off topic.
    But humans are part of the animal kingdom. We are living breathing beings the same as any other animal. Therefore all of our behaviours and phenotypes are natural.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (04-19-2018)

Thanks
    I think it's foolish to lay all the blame on Burmese pythons, I lived in Sait Petersburg for a long time the chemicals dumped in the water (also raw sewage) , over population of people we are destroying quicker than any little or big noodle could ever dream
    I was wondering like feral cats they found killing did more harm than good so TNR was enforced so it would not cause the vacuum effect could we do the same with snakes?
    Last edited by C.Marie; 04-19-2018 at 03:01 PM. Reason: After thought
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

14. The Following User Says Thank You to C.Marie For This Useful Post:

Valyrian (04-19-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by C.Marie View Post
    I think it's foolish to lay all the blame on Burmese pythons,
    Who is laying the blame on the burm? It's all man's fault, the invasive species being there, the pollution, the habitat destruction. All because of humans. We are the worst species.
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 04-19-2018 at 03:12 PM.
    For the Horde!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (04-19-2018),C.Marie (04-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by C.Marie View Post
    I think it's foolish to lay all the blame on Burmese pythons, I lived in Sait Petersburg for a long time the chemicals dumped in the water (also raw sewage) , over population of people we are destroying quicker than any little or big noodle could ever dream
    I was wondering like feral cats they found killing did more harm than good so TNR was enforced so it would not cause the vacuum effect could we do the same with snakes?
    It is man's fought. We are the invaders. People grumping about alligators in their back yard but their back yard was the breeding grounds and home of the alligator long before man moved in. Now we are bringing our pets and freeing them into the wild in a new location with plenty of food and great habitat for them to survive. Sure culling a few retics to restore balance will not solve the problem but neither will ignoring the damage being done. We are responsible and should act responsibility to prevent and help resolve our mistakes. Balance is found in nature when nature is left to be natural. None thing was natural about them being there. None thing is natural about us being there. Humans are the most unnatural animal on the planet.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (04-19-2018)

Thanks
    I'd imagine the tegus / monitors are a much larger threat... omnivorous, more intelligent, better climbers, etc. I'd imagine they could easily wipe out birds (eating them and eggs) lizards, snakes, etc. And, I think they are more cold-tolerant, or at least better at burrowing and finding ways around colder weather. Burms are very susceptible to URIs if not at the right temps, so that probably helps control them. I've read that they are not spreading northward, unlike the tegu and monitors.

I think the bigger overall threat is pollution, habitat destruction, etc. (sugar cane fields anyone?). I think it is in FFW's best interests to also overstate their numbers, etc. as they get more funding for eradication projects based on those numbers.

I do think the methods they used in this scenario are very interesting. I'd like to see USFW put as much effort into eradicating feral cats... But that won't happen because people would freak out if they started killing off strays. Don't get me wrong, I own a cat and love them (mine is indoors only) but they crush the local ecosystems they are in and unlike snakes, can survive cold quite well. I've read that feral cats kill an average of one native bird a day and that they will kill / hunt even when full. Same goes for "outdoor" cats that people own.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast