Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,475

1 members and 3,474 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts

Question Dumerils Boa Q&A

Hi y'all!

So I'm in the very early preparatory phase of getting a second snake. I'd really like a Boa and have bounced back & forth between a BRBs and Dumerils for months.

A few things keep swaying me back to the Dum. One is their personality - I keep hearing how sweet and agreeable they are. Another is their girth, I'm drawn to the heftyness of their build while still being a manageable length. And their husbandry and hardiness seems similar to royals. BRB's seem a smidge more high maintenance and unforgiving.

In another life I could have all the snakes I ever wanted, but I will be cut off at 2. Or divorced.

I'd love feedback from those who own or have owned them. Pros and cons. What you wish you knew.

Thanks!

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

Thanks

Re: Dumerils Boa Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    Hi y'all!

So I'm in the very early preparatory phase of getting a second snake. I'd really like a Boa and have bounced back & forth between a BRBs and Dumerils for months.

A few things keep swaying me back to the Dum. One is their personality - I keep hearing how sweet and agreeable they are. Another is their girth, I'm drawn to the heftyness of their build while still being a manageable length. And their husbandry and hardiness seems similar to royals. BRB's seem a smidge more high maintenance and unforgiving.

In another life I could have all the snakes I ever wanted, but I will be cut off at 2. Or divorced.

I'd love feedback from those who own or have owned them. Pros and cons. What you wish you knew.

Thanks!
    I'd love to have one of these guys too. Although there's not many bred in the UK as they need to be microchipped and have papers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Valyrian; 04-17-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian View Post
    I'd love to have one of these guys too. Although there's not many bred in the UK as they need to be microchipped and have papers.

Really? Why is that? That's not the case here, at least that I know of.

Lizards:

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    They’re beautiful snakes, get to be a decent size. Easy enough to take care of, I had three over the years. A male, and then later a pair. They are one of my favorite snakes. If I didn’t have the health problems I do, I would have at least one now. Good luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (04-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    Really? Why is that? That's not the case here, at least that I know of.
    Its because they're listed as endangered by CITES. You can give them away but to sell then they need the paperwork and microchips or paperwork proving they were too small to chip.

0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    They’re beautiful snakes, get to be a decent size. Easy enough to take care of, I had three over the years. A male, and then later a pair. They are one of my favorite snakes. If I didn’t have the health problems I do, I would have at least one now. Good luck.
    Details! Why are they one of your favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian View Post
    Its because they're listed as endangered by CITES. You can give them away but to sell then they need the paperwork and microchips or paperwork proving they were too small to chip.

Who knew?! I didn't realize they were endangered.

Lizards:

Tarantulas:

Inverts:

Dog & Cats:

Goats:

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (04-21-2018),Valyrian (04-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    I just recently went with a smaller island locality of a boa for the desire for something with different behaviors, personality and handling. So I can’t directly comment on the type you are asking about but thus far I am very happy with my boa and those who have them always rave about their personality and demeanor.

At the end of the day I think you need to go with what visually appeals to you and what you feel would suit your current set up space requirements and what not. It seems to me the general concessions on boas is that they are great snakes and fun pets.

Have you reaxhed out to any breeders? Asked direct questions seen any pics. All of my snakes have “spoken” to me so to speak and I think that’s the way to go for you. Find one that you are just like yea that’s it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    I just recently went with a smaller island locality of a boa for the desire for something with different behaviors, personality and handling. So I can’t directly comment on the type you are asking about but thus far I am very happy with my boa and those who have them always rave about their personality and demeanor.

At the end of the day I think you need to go with what visually appeals to you and what you feel would suit your current set up space requirements and what not. It seems to me the general concessions on boas is that they are great snakes and fun pets.

Have you reaxhed out to any breeders? Asked direct questions seen any pics. All of my snakes have “spoken” to me so to speak and I think that’s the way to go for you. Find one that you are just like yea that’s it!

Yes, I have spoken with a number of breeders and have my preferred breeder picked out. He will have a phenomenal litter a little sooner than I'm ready to move on one, and I'm still not 100% sure I want a neonate instead of a sub adult. I've heard they can be problematic feeders so wondering if it's better to go with a more established animal. I lucked out with my Neptune and his crazy good feeding response, even in shed, so I'd love to not have issues that way. But if his clutch turns out, they will be especially stunning animals...so tempting...

I know your boa is still new, so probably still settling in. Can you tell much about his personality different than your BPs? (or was it a her?)
    Last edited by hilabeans; 04-17-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Lizards:

Tarantulas:

Inverts:

Dog & Cats:

Goats:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I had one that was a little tricky, a male in the mid nineties. If you have the patience and the knack, you shouldn’t have a problem. The pair I picked up never gave me any problems eating, with them it was quite the opposite. And they are simply gorgeous, making them one of my all time favorites. Unfortunately any pictures I have are truly photos, not digital.😉

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (04-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Hilabeans,

I have seen Dumerils in person, but do not own one. I too am at my limit, partially because of significant other preferences. However, after doing some research, I decided my "last" snake would be a BCI - hence getting Behira, the Ghost BCI Female, in October of last year. I have zero regrets! I had narrowed it down to her or a scaleless corn.

From what I have read and witnessed in person, Dumerils are really beautiful and fairly large snakes. They are very chill (although I hear they can be aggressive feeders like BCI's - Behira is no exception).

Dumerils are also easier to keep than say, a BCI. Humidity requirements and temperature requirements are lower. Dumerils 75-85F, with a little over 85F for a hot spot (like 86-87F). Also humidity can be 40-60% with the higher end of the range in shed.

However, I have also heard they are like big BP's - almost too chill. If you like that, awesome, I don't think you can go wrong with a Dumerils.

Having said that, I love the different personality of Behira as compared to Shayna my BP. Yes, she needs more humidity and slightly warmer temps (than a Dumerils - higher humidity than a BP but temps are the same virtually). Plus, her food drive is off the charts (thank you hook training - although I recommend hook training any snake that gets large to get them out of food mode - Dumerils included).

BCI's are curious, but not fearful at all. They also come in many morphs and if you do not want one too big, can get a male.

I also love the way BCI's feel. They have softer skin than BP's for sure.

In no way am I trying to talk you out of a Dumerils. They are really cool. I considered them too. However, I fell in love with BCI's and love Behira to pieces. I just wanted to show another possibility.

Dumerils:

Pros:

-Large, but manageable size
    -Temperament
    -Easy husbandry

Cons:

-Temperament - TOO CHILL?

BCI's

Pros:

-Many morphs
    -Large, but manageable size - especially males
    -Awesome personalities
    -Will never skip a meal/Crazy food drive

Cons:

-More advanced husbandry and larger tank especially with a female
    -Crazy food drive

Again, I've never hook trained a BP or a corn (Figment is an aggressive feeder but makes sure it is food first ) but I have hook trained Behira.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Either way, keep us in the loop! Sounds exciting! NEW SNAKE! YAY!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (04-17-2018)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast