Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,153

1 members and 3,152 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Overweight Dumerils Boa

Hey guys!

So I have a year and a half old dumerils boa female. Shes in a 4 foot pvc cage temps 75 to 78 cold side 85 hot side. When i purchased her at 6 moths old the breeder said she was very large compared to her bros/sisters when born and continued to grow. I measured her the best i could during her last shed 3 weeks ago and she was about 41 to 43 inches long. She eats sheds and poops just fine. I only feed her once a week. She eats frozen rats from perfect prey. She currently eats one small rat every week. Idk if she is getting overweight cause she has rolls when coiled and when stretched out and moving shes tipsy lol or if this is normal for a dumerils boa?? Should i increase feedings to every two weeks? I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mstuppiello921 For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (03-26-2018),richardhind1972 (03-26-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Overweight Dumerils Boa

Really nice dumeril, I love there markings,normally people only post about there dumeril not eating lol.
    my boas that are on small rats only get fed fortnightly these are two next month so similar age .when there two I will space to 3week feeds on the appropriate size food and once there three they will go to monthly feeds from there on .my 9 year old boa on large rats who’s six foot looks nice and healthy on these feedings
    If you carry on feeding weekly on that size food you will definitely make her overweight so I would space it out from 10-14 days so not to shorten her lifespan by being overweight

Last edited by richardhind1972; 03-26-2018 at 06:07 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (03-26-2018)

Thanks

Re: Overweight Dumerils Boa

Wow she’s a big girl at a year and a half!! Agreed with Richard that you’re lucky you can get her to eat weekly Also agreed that a small rat a week is too much food. I’d switch to a 14-day feeding schedule for sure. Lovely animal, though!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

Mstuppiello921 (03-26-2018),PokeyTheNinja (03-27-2018)

Thanks
    Wow, beautiful attack sausage you got there. Lol

I'd prolly go with monthly or at most every 3rd week untill she slims down a tad.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Mstuppiello921 (03-26-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Really nice dumeril, I love there markings,normally people only post about there dumeril not eating lol.
    my boas that are on small rats only get fed fortnightly these are two next month so similar age .when there two I will space to 3week feeds on the appropriate size food and once there three they will go to monthly feeds from there on .my 9 year old boa on large rats who’s six foot looks nice and healthy on these feedings
    If you carry on feeding weekly on that size food you will definitely make her overweight so I would space it out from 10-14 days so not to shorten her lifespan by being overweight

Awesome! Thank you for your reply. Do you think she is overweight right now or only if I keep feeding every week? I know I was a little nervous when I first got her cause through my research I read everywhere they had feeding issues. I must be lucky cause shes a garbage pale! I will space out to every two weeks. This is my first dumerils/boa and their feeding frequency is a-lot different then balls. I appreciate your reply.

Thanks

Thank you all for the kind words she is my pride and joy. I am currently hand building a new pvc adult enclosure for her as we speak. They have such awesome personalities, she just loves to hang on my lap and chill.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mstuppiello921 For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (03-26-2018),richardhind1972 (03-27-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mstuppiello921 View Post
    Thank you all for the kind words she is my pride and joy. I am currently hand building a new pvc adult enclosure for her as we speak. They have such awesome personalities, she just loves to hang on my lap and chill.

NAAAAA!! Your Dumeril look good and love that encloser you are building. To bad you are not up my way because I would pay you to build me 2 of those... Thanks for sharing!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    NAAAAA!! Your Dumeril look good and love that encloser you are building. To bad you are not up my way because I would pay you to build me 2 of those... Thanks for sharing!
    Thank you and to bad, I would have loved to make you a couple. Ive built them for a couple of people so far. Building them is therapeutic for me so I don’t even charge for them, I just ask for people to supply the materials.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mstuppiello921 For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (03-27-2018)

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks

She is beautiful! Dumeril’s boas have slower metabolisms than BPs, and feeding one her age every 2 weeks would be appropriate. She is a little chunky, but if you spread out her feedings to every two weeks, she will be fine.

I had a huge female who was also a garbage disposal and would eat any time, and more than one at a time given the chance. Now I have a little male who is TINY. He is small even compared to my female when she was a baby. Kind of a runt. He’s a cutie though. Luckily for me I’ve never had a Dum that wouldn’t eat, but the new guy gets freaked out if his food moves, so he likes me to just lay it down next to him and leave him be to eat it. Funny guy. The female used to come flying out to catch hers.

- Nakita

17. The Following User Says Thank You to WarriorPrincess90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorPrincess90 View Post
    She is beautiful! Dumeril’s boas have slower metabolisms than BPs, and feeding one her age every 2 weeks would be appropriate. She is a little chunky, but if you spread out her feedings to every two weeks, she will be fine.

I had a huge female who was also a garbage disposal and would eat any time, and more than one at a time given the chance. Now I have a little male who is TINY. He is small even compared to my female when she was a baby. Kind of a runt. He’s a cutie though. Luckily for me I’ve never had a Dum that wouldn’t eat, but the new guy gets freaked out if his food moves, so he likes me to just lay it down next to him and leave him be to eat it. Funny guy. The female used to come flying out to catch hers.
    Thank you, I am definitely going to up her to, two weeks after all the great advice. Tonight was suppose to be feeding night so its perfect timing to wait till next week. And you should share a picture of your male, Id love to see him. And yes thats exactly how she is....idk how many times shes smashed her face on the plexiglass cause i wasn’t fast enough with the rat lol. Her feeding response is amazing and she hits hard!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast