Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,199

0 members and 3,199 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

My experience so far with reptile prime.

I currently use reptichip with all my snakes and love it, but with all the hype surrounding reptile prime I decided to give it a try, especially because I keep hearing people say its virtually dust free. Upon opening the bag I now know that is not the truth. So far the only thing I like about it is it is already broken up and no need to soak. Have yet to put an animal on it but I filled a empty tub to see how it looked. It’s not as fine as I thought it was which was also a plus but I also definitely noticed it stuck to wet hands way more than reptichip so I can see wet rodents getting pretty covered in this stuff. Nothing against reptile prime just wanted to give my opinion/review as someone that has been using reptichip exclusively.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to highqualityballz For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (04-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    That is does. It sticks to anything and everything damp. It also is a pain to dry out if you place it in a tub or pvc enclosure with restricted circulation. Best to avoid putting it in damp and either feeding on a card or mat or drying off rodents before feeding as it will stick just like every other substrate that is chopped up
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    This is super useful thank you! I’ve been using Reptichip and Reptibark but has been considering giving Reptile Prime with all the hype. So I’ve been curious to hear how it compares and differs from Reptichip. Any picture comparisons?
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks

Re: My experience so far with reptile prime.

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    This is super useful thank you! I’ve been using Reptichip and Reptibark but has been considering giving Reptile Prime with all the hype. So I’ve been curious to hear how it compares and differs from Reptichip. Any picture comparisons?
    No problem, I wish there was a thread like this before I made my purchase to be honest lol. I don’t have any pics but I know there are comparison videos on YouTube. Here’s a thread comparing them.
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...mparison/page4
    Last edited by highqualityballz; 04-16-2018 at 06:57 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to highqualityballz For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (04-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by highqualityballz View Post
    I currently use reptichip with all my snakes and love it, but with all the hype surrounding reptile prime I decided to give it a try, especially because I keep hearing people say its virtually dust free. Upon opening the bag I now know that is not the truth. So far the only thing I like about it is it is already broken up and no need to soak. Have yet to put an animal on it but I filled a empty tub to see how it looked. It’s not as fine as I thought it was which was also a plus but I also definitely noticed it stuck to wet hands way more than reptichip so I can see wet rodents getting pretty covered in this stuff. Nothing against reptile prime just wanted to give my opinion/review as someone that has been using reptichip exclusively.

Pretty much the same thing i noticed. Also while it absorbs water well, it also releases it too well. The stuff will dry out within a day. So if you are using it to try and control humidity, you are going to have spikes all over unless you go deep with the stuff like 2+ inches deep of substrate.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Give it a try and see how you like it. Just order one bag. Some people love it, some people say its ok, some people dont like it. You will get varied answers all over. Here are pics of the different stuff i use(no pic of aspen though lol)

Reptile Prime

ReptiChips

And finally my favorite so far, Zoo Med Forest Floor aka cypress
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (04-16-2018)