Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,223

1 members and 3,222 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Beginner Ball Python Questions

Hello!

I will be adopting a ball python from a reptile rescue near me in the next few months( on the waiting list! ) and I'm setting up his/her terrarium and getting things ready to make sure it is all working.

1)I'm going to order two hides and was wondering if you guys have favorites you would recommend?

2) My tap water has chlorine and I have to dechlorinate the water for my pet fish and was curious if it is safe to use fish dechlorinatior, or if I should buy reptile dechlorinator ?

3)I want the exo terra terrarium and was wondering if anyone here has one, and thoughts on it?

4) I have two kitties and I'm a little worried that the sent of them on me would trigger a feeding response, does anyone have that problem?

Thank you so much!!
    Last edited by AnnieHeart; 04-15-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks

Re: Beginner Ball Python Questions

I can only your number four (4) question. I have three (3) cars and have never had an issue. BUT I always change my shirt and wash and sanatize my hands amd arms before getting our Freddi out. I am always worried of cat "cooties" getting to my snake and vise versa.

Thanks

I like the Reptile Basics hides.

If you can drink the water, your snake will be fine.

I have an exo terra large wide I think they call it? It's their 18x18x36. It's nice but I feel like glass enclosures aren't the best for snakes, have you looked at PVC or HPDE enclosures?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Pythons View Post
    I like the Reptile Basics hides.

If you can drink the water, your snake will be fine.

I have an exo terra large wide I think they call it? It's their 18x18x36. It's nice but I feel like glass enclosures aren't the best for snakes, have you looked at PVC or HPDE enclosures?
    I haven't, I will definitely look into them!

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

A rescue ball python probably is not the best option if it is your first ball python. Rescues may have issues and if you are not familiar with what 'normal' is, you might have a tough time.

1) You can use anything for a hide, just make sure they block light and are small enough that the snake can squeeze comfortable inside and only have one opening in/out. The hide is not about aesthetics for you, it is about safety for the snake.

2) I used fish dechlorinator for 5 years on my snake water in the city (before I bought my farm), no issues.

3) In my opinion terrariums look nice, but, they are not easy to move and/or clean relative to a secure plastic bin/tub. Personally I would worry about the snake pressing on the edge of the glass door(s) and damaging the tip of their nose-Mating season makes my males do crazy things...

4) I have two cats, my snakes can definitely tell the difference between the scent of cats and rodents. They could care less about the scent of cats. My rodents DO care about the scent of snakes though, and I have taken many a rat bite after handling my snakes.
    *.* TNTC

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (04-18-2018)

Thanks

I have one snake already, his name is Franky. I just want to add to my snake family. lol Since garter snakes are more on the fast side I also want something a little more on the slower side and bigger too. Thank you for letting me know though, I'm thankful someone would let me know.

Thanks

Cool Re: Beginner Ball Python Questions

Hi all! I bought my first BP in Jan., she's right at 7mths, weighs 346g. I'm on the last pack of adult mice, (ordering rats Friday) my question is that 3 weeks ago I started offering her 2 each Tues. feed because she seemed still hungry and she willingly, quickly takes them. Tonight I swear I think she was waiting for a 3rd! I'm hesitant because I've never had one before. Obviously she needs rats, I think? But would it hurt to give 3 ? Any suggestions would be SO appreciated! Thanks

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsfloridagq View Post
    Hi all! I bought my first BP in Jan., she's right at 7mths, weighs 346g. I'm on the last pack of adult mice, (ordering rats Friday) my question is that 3 weeks ago I started offering her 2 each Tues. feed because she seemed still hungry and she willingly, quickly takes them. Tonight I swear I think she was waiting for a 3rd! I'm hesitant because I've never had one before. Obviously she needs rats, I think? But would it hurt to give 3 ? Any suggestions would be SO appreciated! Thanks

You should start your own thread rather than randomly burying your question in somebody else's thread.

Thanks

Sorry. That was the 1st time I've ever posted and needless to say, I have no idea what I'm doing here. Thank you any way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    A rescue ball python probably is not the best option if it is your first ball python. Rescues may have issues and if you are not familiar with what 'normal' is, you might have a tough time.

1) You can use anything for a hide, just make sure they block light and are small enough that the snake can squeeze comfortable inside and only have one opening in/out. The hide is not about aesthetics for you, it is about safety for the snake.

2) I used fish dechlorinator for 5 years on my snake water in the city (before I bought my farm), no issues.

3) In my opinion terrariums look nice, but, they are not easy to move and/or clean relative to a secure plastic bin/tub. Personally I would worry about the snake pressing on the edge of the glass door(s) and damaging the tip of their nose-Mating season makes my males do crazy things...

4) I have two cats, my snakes can definitely tell the difference between the scent of cats and rodents. They could care less about the scent of cats. My rodents DO care about the scent of snakes though, and I have taken many a rat bite after handling my snakes.

I have one snake already, his name is Franky. I just want to add to my snake family. lol Since garter snakes are more on the fast side I also want something a little more on the slower side and bigger too. Thank you for letting me know though, I'm thankful someone would let me know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast