Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,412

2 members and 3,410 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

List of Endangered Reptiles include the Butt Breather Turtle

the Zoological Society of London has a program called EDGE (Evolutionary Distinct and Globally Endangered) that focuses on the conservation of wierd but unique and wonderful animals. they just released their 100 most endangered reptiles list and i just learned about awholelotta animals i din't know about before. like for example, the Mary River Turtle from Australia. some of it's unusual feathers includes barbels (like koi fish), a long arched tail, green algae that grows on it's head and face to simulate crazy zombie hair and it has a bi-modal respiratory system. this turtle breathes through it's mouth AND can absorb oxygen through the cloaca (butt!) while under water!!

what a gnarly turtle! it's nicknamed the Butt Breather! it's #29 on the list, butt i think i should be higher!

some other notable reptiles includes:

#28 Chaco Side-Necked Turtle

#3 Madagascar Blind Snake

here's an article about the list and animals: https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...elp/ar-AAvOMqW
    The Zoological Society of London has put together a new list of “weird and wonderful” reptiles, but unfortunately a place on this roster is bad news.As part of their groundbreaking Evolutionarily Distinct and Globally Endangered (EDGE) of existence program, which is dedicated to highlighting and protecting some of the world’s most unusual creatures, ZSL created a EDGE Reptiles List to mark which reptiles are most at risk of going extinct, so scientists and conservations can channel their efforts to help the species that need it the most.

Among the critters to be placed on this list is the Mary River turtle, who placed at #29 and is known for staying “underwater for up to three days by breathing through its reproductive organs.” Also known as a “butt breather,” according to CNN, this reptile is native to the Mary River in Queensland, Australia.

Along with the odd ability to breathe through its private parts, Mary River turtles also stands out because of the bright green algae that grows on their heads, often forming humorous hairstyles, and for the two distinct spikes up their chins.

Rikki Gumbs, a reptile biologist at Zoological Society London (ZSL), told CNN that part of the reason Mary River turtles are in danger of going instinct is because they were popular as pets in the ’60s and ’70s, which diminished the species’ already small population.

According to The Guardian, the Mary River turtle was given its spot on the list based on a formula that takes into consideration the animals risk of extinction and “its evolutionary isolation.”

Other odd-looking reptiles on the list include the Chaco Side-Necked Turtle at #28, who does have a neck that appears to grow from the side of its shell and the Madagascar Blind Snake at #3, a tiny, skinny, pink snake that almost looks like a stretched out-earthworm.

At the top of the list is the Madagascar Big-Headed Turtle, which is also the most at risk terrestrial vertebrate, according to EDGE.
    read more here: https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rom-extinction

see the full list of EDGE endangered reptiles here: https://www.edgeofexistence.org/spec...egory/reptiles

which reptiles do u find most interesting?
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Reinz (04-12-2018),tttaylorrr (04-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Wow, some strange cool critters!

I have heard of the Butt Breathers before, but wrote it off to an Urban Legend. Now I know differently.

Thanks!
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.