Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,389

2 members and 3,387 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Boa acting weird

I fed my boa on Wednesday and he has been acting weird. Yesterday I tried to pick him up but he did not want to be picked up and he was trying very hard to bury himself under the substrate to get away from me. So I let him be, today he didn’t do that but he’s barely flicking his tongue when I’m holding him and he holds his head up in the air almost as if he’s looking for food? And yes I did not handle him for 48 hours after feeding. He’s never done this before.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Boa acting weird

Quote Originally Posted by svtvenom View Post
    I fed my boa on Wednesday and he has been acting weird. Yesterday I tried to pick him up but he did not want to be picked up and he was trying very hard to bury himself under the substrate to get away from me. So I let him be, today he didn’t do that but he’s barely flicking his tongue when I’m holding him and he holds his head up in the air almost as if he’s looking for food? And yes I did not handle him for 48 hours after feeding. He’s never done this before.
    Wish I could help but my snakes act weird time to time and will do the same kind of things... A few days go by and they are relaxed and back to themselves.

iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-09-2018),Hamsnacks (04-08-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Wish I could help but my snakes act weird time to time and will do the same kind of things... A few days go by and they are relaxed and back to themselves.

iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same here...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Same here...
    It’s weird. It’s like he’s like looking for something lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Snakes see ghosts!!! My boas will sometimes stare at stuff up in the air. Kind of creepy but after about 10 mins or so, they go back to doing normal snake stuff. Sounds to me like your boa is having 'one of those days'. My snakes will sometimes have bad days and i just leave them alone. If he is trying to bury himself when you try and pick him up, he is clearly letting you know, he wants to be alone. I didnt see my GTP for like a week and finally after he shed, i was so happy, i pulled him out on his perch to having bonding time. Well he was cranky and hissed at me when i put him down on my hand on his perch. Then crawled across my hand to his plant and back into his cage. I have also had Caesar the retic do that as well as my boas. They let you know when they want to be left alone, you just have to learn the body language and actions.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

RickyNY (04-11-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    ...Sounds to me like your boa is having 'one of those days'. My snakes will sometimes have bad days and i just leave them alone. If he is trying to bury himself when you try and pick him up, he is clearly letting you know, he wants to be alone... They let you know when they want to be left alone, you just have to learn the body language and actions.

So true. They definitely seem to have their "off" days too, when they just want to be left alone. The tell-tale signs are the same, but every snake is a little different. It's just a matter of learning your animal.
    My King, Django, for example will "push" my hand away if he doesn't want to be handled. By that I mean he will thrash the part of his body where my hand is when I touch him. It still impresses me how strong such a slender snake can be. Tyson, my BP will do this on occasion, but much more gently. Juice, my Borneo STP, is more of a hisser. But it's always pretty mild, he hasn't impressed me yet, hahaha.

Anyway, since they can't verbally tell us they want to be left alone, they show us the only way they can. Depending on the species and sometimes the individual snake, the number of "warnings" will vary, so it's best for us to do our homework and learn the animals.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

RickyNY (04-11-2018)

Thanks
    Lol Caesar shoves my hand away when he is having a moment. Dottie hisses at me. Yes a hissing BP lol. And she will hiss loud but thats it, just cruises by, hiises loudly if you bug her and keeps going haha. Crazy BP. And Pat hisses too i found out whe he is having a day. I actually had Rosey hiss at me a few days ago but i think she was pissed off because Caesar freakin climbed down the cage stack and into Rosey's cage right on top of Rosey and sat on her. I noticed and grabbed Caesar and put him in his cage and closed the door lol. After that, Rosey was kind of pissed and hissed fairly loudly at me so i closed her door to and let her be alone.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Team Slytherin (04-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Lol Caesar shoves my hand away when he is having a moment. Dottie hisses at me. Yes a hissing BP lol. And she will hiss loud but thats it, just cruises by, hiises loudly if you bug her and keeps going haha. Crazy BP. And Pat hisses too i found out whe he is having a day. I actually had Rosey hiss at me a few days ago but i think she was pissed off because Caesar freakin climbed down the cage stack and into Rosey's cage right on top of Rosey and sat on her. I noticed and grabbed Caesar and put him in his cage and closed the door lol. After that, Rosey was kind of pissed and hissed fairly loudly at me so i closed her door to and let her be alone.
    Rosey was just pissed because you caught them before she could get some. LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Rosey was just pissed because you caught them before she could get some. LOL
    That would be epic. I could have made a new hybrid!! We got bat eaters, carpondros and boacondas. But not sure how a live bearer and an egg layer would work lol.

And nah, i think Rosey is just tired of everyone invading her cage. Vicky ALWAYS goes into Rosey's cage and sits there. Now i catch freakin Caesar going in there. Poor Rosey is probably bent because she doesnt want her house to be the party house haha.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Skyrivers (04-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

That would be epic. I could have made a new hybrid!! We got bat eaters, carpondros and boacondas. But not sure how a live bearer and an egg layer would work lol.

And nah, i think Rosey is just tired of everyone invading her cage. Vicky ALWAYS goes into Rosey's cage and sits there. Now i catch freakin Caesar going in there. Poor Rosey is probably bent because she doesnt want her house to be the party house haha.
    And they didn't bring any

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (04-10-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast