Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,361

0 members and 3,361 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Shedding question

Hello all,

First off I want to thank everyone for all the wonderful information available here. My dude Perseus has been with our family for a few weeks and is doing great. He was eating live and is now munching on FT without issue. Everything is fantastic due to the information found here in stickies and posts.

My question is how often should I expect him to shed? He is six months old and had his first shed with us which was a full shed so we are super excited that what we are doing is working.

Thanks again.
    2.1 human children
    3.1 K9s Merlin, Minion, Jeepers, Sophie
    0.2 Felines Mika, Calliope
    1.0 BP Perseus

Non stop action and adventure.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bozzy Bear For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-08-2018),Zincubus (04-08-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Re: Shedding question

It really varies by age, weight, growth rate and feeding. Can be weeks, can be a couple months. Try not to stress over it to figure out a "schedule" because those are the last things bps like to follow

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

Bozzy Bear (04-07-2018),Craiga 01453 (04-08-2018),Spink (04-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahshissyfix View Post
    It really varies by age, weight, growth rate and feeding. Can be weeks, can be a couple months. Try not to stress over it to figure out a "schedule" because those are the last things bps like to follow

Exactly this^^^^^^^^

As a reference, mine will typically shed every 3-4 weeks but will sometimes go over a month and a half without shedding.

There's definitely no set schedule with these little guys. As long as your little buddy is having a nice full shed, then that's all you need to worry about.

Just keep your heat and humidity at an appropriate level, and try to stick to a regulated feeding schedule then you'll be just fine!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Spink For This Useful Post:

Bozzy Bear (04-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Shedding question

Quote Originally Posted by Bozzy Bear View Post
    Hello all,

First off I want to thank everyone for all the wonderful information available here. My dude Perseus has been with our family for a few weeks and is doing great. He was eating live and is now munching on FT without issue. Everything is fantastic due to the information found here in stickies and posts.

My question is how often should I expect him to shed? He is six months old and had his first shed with us which was a full shed so we are super excited that what we are doing is working.

Thanks again.
    To basically guarantee a good shed .... in case you don't know about the process . ..

When the shed process starts they kinda lose their colouration ( apart from Albinos and/or white snakes ) plus their eyes go blue / creamy - then after a few days their colour returns and eyes go clear BUT they won't actually shed the skin for another 2 to 5 or more days .

Anyways the key is to wait for the colour returning/ eyes clear and then start misting/spraying each day until find the skin in a roller up messy lump in one of the hides .. spray morning , after work and evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 04-08-2018 at 03:02 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bozzy Bear (04-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I increase humidity when I see a pink belly. Up to 70 it goes.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Bozzy Bear (04-08-2018),stringbender31982 (04-08-2018),Zincubus (04-08-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahshissyfix View Post

Perfectly said

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bozzy Bear (04-08-2018)

Thanks

Agree that there is no set time but if you track weight and sheds in whatever method you choose, you can guess within a couple weeks usually. I track basically everything on reptilescan software and every single one of my animals usually go into shed reasonably close to when I predict. Lets say Snake A is 150 grams and shed again at 200 grams, I can kind of count on the next shed being around 260 or 270.
    Mine all seen to gain a tad more between each shed than they did the shed before it. My 900 gram female shed two days ago after a 130 gram increase. Her next one will probably be in another 140 to 150 grams.
    The smaller ones shed with far less weight gain between but it steadily goes up as they get bigger.

Now I only have 10 BP's but it just works that way with all of mine.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bistem For This Useful Post:

Bozzy Bear (04-08-2018)