Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,333

0 members and 3,333 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

T8 and RHP Advice Needed

So I have a T8 divided with Pro Products RHP. I have a Herpstat 2 regulating temp with probe on bottom of cooler side and 2 AcuRites on either end of cage. I have a few reptile Basics hides, one of which is directly under the RHP (because frankly it covers over half of the area). I’ve used the temp gun to monitor temps and sometimes the top of the hide is measuring 104-106F when the RHP is on max power. Is this okay? What do I do for this? I worry because at night she likes to lay on her hides. temps have also read up to 170F on the RHP which I’ve read is okay because the snake, if it touches it, won’t be in contact for long enough period to burn. Is this really okay? I can barely touch it with my finger when it’s on max power. My temps are: 88F on hot side and 79F on cool side. Herpstat is set at 76.5F in back corner. Humidity is 60% on hot side and right now 80% on cooler side because I just switched to reptichip last night. Im assuming this will go down soon. Hopefully. Any advice on temps would be appreciated. I’ve only used belly heat and am new to the RHP game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bergerking; 04-05-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    that RHP is WAY TOO HOT! u need to place the 2nd Herpstat probe somewhere below the RHP, not on the cool side unless there is a heat source there. secure the the probe to the sidewall halfway down from the RHP and like set it to 90; u can secure it w/ something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Fastener-Digi.../dp/B00UWUFPCQ
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Re: T8 and RHP Advice Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    that RHP is WAY TOO HOT! u need to place the 2nd Herpstat probe somewhere below the RHP, not on the cool side unless there is a heat source there. secure the the probe to the sidewall halfway down from the RHP and like set it to 90; u can secure it w/ something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Fastener-Digi.../dp/B00UWUFPCQ
    Ok thanks. I’ll try moving the probe. I just followed the instructions provided by Pro Products to place on cool side as well as quite a few threads I’ve read on the topic here. Just didn’t seem like it should be that hot to me though.

Thanks
    RHP's work like heatlamps/CHE's except they won't kill the humidity, so they will heat everything underneath them and must be regulated. your cool side is not underneath the RHP. u can measure the temp there by simply using a thermometer like an Accurite.

Edit: ok i just re-read your original post. u have a divided T8. is your Herpstat 2 dedicated to just this side of the T8? and u have both bellyheat and a RHP for this side? each probe should be used for each heat source and placed appropriately for proper thermal regulation.
    Last edited by Ax01; 04-05-2018 at 07:03 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Thanks

T8 and RHP Advice Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    RHP's work like heatlamps/CHE's except they won't kill the humidity, so they will heat everything underneath them and must be regulated. your cool side is not underneath the RHP. u can measure the temp there by simply using a thermometer like an Accurite.

Edit: ok i just re-read your original post. u have a divided T8. is your Herpstat 2 dedicated to just this side of the T8? and u have both bellyheat and a RHP for this side? each probe should be used for each heat source and placed appropriately for proper thermal regulation.
    There is just the RHP, no belly heat. Yes divided (2x2’) and probe is opposite RHP near divided side. Granted RHP takes up almost entire ceiling space. So ambient is like 88f under RHP and 79f on cool side. Nothing on other side of divider.

Edit - so if looking at photo, probe is on back wall, right side between water dish and divider, just above substrate. It’s fixed so it can’t move with a zip tie.

Last edited by Bergerking; 04-05-2018 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks
    Your ambient temps seem fine, but surface temps esp. on the hide reaching 106 sounds alarming. Those are burn temps. I would still re-position the probe underneath the RHP at level with the top of the warm side hide.

Edit: the RHP itself won't burn your snake b/c it's not laying on top or next to it for extended time. but a contact touch @170 would still make u go ouch. it's the same reason u can barely touch it w/ your own finger at full power.
    Last edited by Ax01; 04-05-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bergerking (04-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Looks like you went with a similar path I did at first. I'm also using a divider with a rhp, and like you, the rhp pretty much takes most of the entire ceiling space, making a horizontal thermal gradient somewhat difficult.

I later decided to add a UTH for belly heat so I could dial down the rhp for the ambient only instead of trying to make a hot spot. Prior to that my rhp was making the ambient temp too warm for my liking just to get the surface temps I wanted. The rock furnishings would sometimes be as high as 94 which made me uneasy. Generally you don't want any surface your bp can touch hotter than 92. For warm ambient under the rhp I think it's better to have it reduced to 84-86. Cool ambient is totally fine.

If it helps, this is how I started off. Mine is a T12 with a divider.

I had my rhp set to a higher heat to try and get the inside of the hide to at least 88 (surface was 92), but at the cost of the ambient being somewhere between 88-90 which honestly I thought was TOO hot, especially for a hatching who prefer slightly cooler warm temps.

Here is Tapioca's current set up now with a UTH.

3 hides now, primary matching hot and cold ones are on the bottom this time with his 'spare' on the top of the ledge.

The thermostat probe I placed higher, about 6 inches below the rhp to better control my warm ambient and keep it away from where it could be climbed or peed on, which I was worried about causing temp spikes. My bp HAS tried to climb towards the probe before so better to keep it out of reach as possible.

My warm ambient is now 84-85 with the top of the hide on the ledge being at a nice 88-89. His rock furnishes are no hotter than 89-90, which I feel much safer about. You can also adjust the power % output on your herpstat if you are concerned about temps spiking a bit when the rhp swings at full power. Hope this helps
    Last edited by MissterDog; 04-05-2018 at 11:07 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-08-2018),Godzilla78 (04-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bergerking View Post
    So I have a T8 divided with Pro Products RHP. I have a Herpstat 2 regulating temp with probe on bottom of cooler side and 2 AcuRites on either end of cage. I have a few reptile Basics hides, one of which is directly under the RHP (because frankly it covers over half of the area). I’ve used the temp gun to monitor temps and sometimes the top of the hide is measuring 104-106F when the RHP is on max power. Is this okay? What do I do for this? I worry because at night she likes to lay on her hides. temps have also read up to 170F on the RHP which I’ve read is okay because the snake, if it touches it, won’t be in contact for long enough period to burn. Is this really okay? I can barely touch it with my finger when it’s on max power. My temps are: 88F on hot side and 79F on cool side. Herpstat is set at 76.5F in back corner. Humidity is 60% on hot side and right now 80% on cooler side because I just switched to reptichip last night. Im assuming this will go down soon. Hopefully. Any advice on temps would be appreciated. I’ve only used belly heat and am new to the RHP game.

I agree that the probe should be in the heated area. You're not controlling your basking temp at all.

Right now your heat source will shut off if the ambient temp in the room exceeds 76.5F.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-08-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Yes move the Probe halfway between RHP and floor on Hot Side.
    This is why I always go against divided 4' pvc enclosures. You cant use a RHP effectively as a single heat source when your dealing with such a tiny 2x2' space. Use a Temp Gun to check surfaces for 24hrs.. The top of the Hide on the hot side should reach 90-92 at the most. This would radiate into the snake when they are in there. The floors on my Hot sides are a bit cooler because they are farther away fron the RHP that the tops of the hides. So the floors are around 87-88 when hide roof is 90-92.

iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Yes move the Probe halfway between RHP and floor on Hot Side.
    This is why I always go against divided 4' pvc enclosures. You cant use a RHP effectively as a single heat source when your dealing with such a tiny 2x2' space. Use a Temp Gun to check surfaces for 24hrs.. The top of the Hide on the hot side should reach 90-92 at the most. This would radiate into the snake when they are in there. The floors on my Hot sides are a bit cooler because they are farther away fron the RHP that the tops of the hides. So the floors are around 87-88 when hide roof is 90-92.

iPhone using Tapatalk
    After taking CALMs advice a few weeks ago I reduced my hot spot temp from what it was. If you use a temp gun on the snake itself (without the laser for safety reasons) you'll notice that a basking snake can actually get much warmer than the substrate around it when they absorb heat fr a long period.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-08-2018)