Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,316

1 members and 3,315 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Difference between black head and woma?

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    $1500 is peanuts to what they were 10 years ago
    As far as I know, those morphs were established in the UK and have since been brought over to US
    And they probably got them from Germany, those sneaky Germans like to get their hands on all the good stuff.

Back when I kept carnivorous nepenthes plants, the new and rare (and usually illegal) species usually were "aquired" by German growers before being produced in large enough numbers to be sent abroad. Now if only they could do that with more blackheads...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    And they probably got them from Germany, those sneaky Germans like to get their hands on all the good stuff.

Back when I kept carnivorous nepenthes plants, the new and rare (and usually illegal) species usually were "aquired" by German growers before being produced in large enough numbers to be sent abroad. Now if only they could do that with more blackheads...
    Talking about Germans ... ok Hitler wasn't strictly German .... ... but I read somewhere that Hitler bought the first Albino Boa or Albino Burm python for around £50,000 !?!?!

Not sure if thats in today's money or the 1940's equivalent...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Talking about Germans ... ok Hitler wasn't strictly German .... ... but I read somewhere that Hitler bought the first Albino Boa or Albino Burm python for around £50,000 !?!?!

Well... there's a thing I did not know.... if only he stuck with reptiles instead of trying to burn the world down. Lol

Or maybe he just liked the fact that some boas look like they are sporting tiny mustaches?

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Where'd you hear this because I'm pretty sure that it isn't true (the price sounds correct though).
    I'd have to read the section again to be sure but in the book Stolen World it describes how the first albino burm was obtained (and ended up going to Bob Clark). They weren't found until the 80s. Here is the story of the history of the first albino boa, also in the 80s: http://www.reptileinsider.com/showth...riginal-Kahl-s
    For the Horde!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (04-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Where'd you hear this because I'm pretty sure that it isn't true (the price sounds correct though).
    I'd have to read the section again to be sure but in the book Stolen World it describes how the first albino burm was obtained (and ended up going to Bob Clark). They weren't found until the 80s. Here is the story of the history of the first albino boa, also in the 80s: http://www.reptileinsider.com/showth...riginal-Kahl-s

I really can't recall ..... Just stuck in my mind about Hitler and the first white / albino Boa or Burm and the price ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

In the states, that's more in the ballpark of a normal black-headed python with good bloodlines/lineage. I don't recall the prices quoted to me for axanthics/hets but it was high enough that the thought of buying any flew right out of my head, haha.

Should be at $1500 each !

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    Just looked those up... the axanthic is one of the most bad ass snakes I've ever seen.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I've been thinking as well, BHP vs woma, and found BHP's are more pricey due to their sexual maturity taking a bit longer and low offspring numbers. Combine that with not being readily available at pet shops and you've got your answer as to why the price is higher than a woma.

That being said, we have some premiere BHP breeders who are very good at what they do, produce some incredible specimens, and quite frankly are easy to contact and inquire about their snakes and care. IMHO we get what we pay for.

I've also learned their husbandry is a little different and BHP's are less likely to nibble on you like the womas do LOL
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (04-06-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BR8080 View Post
    I've been thinking as well, BHP vs woma, and found BHP's are more pricey due to their sexual maturity taking a bit longer and low offspring numbers. Combine that with not being readily available at pet shops and you've got your answer as to why the price is higher than a woma.

That being said, we have some premiere BHP breeders who are very good at what they do, produce some incredible specimens, and quite frankly are easy to contact and inquire about their snakes and care. IMHO we get what we pay for.

I've also learned their husbandry is a little different and BHP's are less likely to nibble on you like the womas do LOL
    Interesting, so how does the husbandry differ between the two?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

The major thing I found was the BHP's temps (warm side 90-95/cool 75-80) whereas womas like to be kept between 85-90/75-80, and both can tolerate night temps drops to 75.

I watch the K Brothers YouTube channel (BHP master breeders in Australia) and they mentioned the BHP's don't need a lot of humidity but the reading I've done suggests 50% is a good target for them. I will confirm with the breeder I choose at time of purchase naturally, but I like to research and best prepare as to have an educated conversation with the breeder instead of sounding like a dolt.

I was lucky enough to handle a BHP at Reptile Rapture when I visited them in February and was blown away...needless to say I think my mind was made up at that point I will add a BHP to my collection someday.
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (04-06-2018)

Thanks
    Axanthic lines in the us are different than the axanthic lines in Europe and they do not mesh. There are many different morphs both line bred (yellowjacket), recessive (axanthic), co-dominant (tiger) available in the Us. There are a lot more than listed above.
    As far as womas go there is not much in the way of morphs like the black-heads but the different localities they originally came from carried greatly and although it is impossible to get locality specific womas here the melting pot of genes has made for some wild line bred stuff.
    Keep in mind both black-heads and womas can change a great deal in looks from the time they hatch into adulthood. The most common change muddies their color and contrast making beautiful hatches into ugly adults. More selective breeders have for the most part line bred this trait out of their stock but unless you can see the parents you have no idea what the hatchling is going to look like when it grows up. Basically you get what you pay for. I have seen womas for as little as 250.00 and as high as 500.00. Black-heads as low as 750.00 and as high as 10k (morphs). These are current prices, 20 years ago they were 10k for womas and 20k for black-heads.
    As far as physical differences between the two the black-heads do get larger to a point but the really big ones are big due to feeding bias and typically die young because of it. Healthy bhp's can be as small as 6". Womas typically top out at about 4.5 to 5 feet. Both are slender however the womas have a triangle shape to them whereas the blackheads are more cylindrical.
    Care requirements are similar, bhp's like a little more humidity and a little warmer hot spot. As neonates bhp's are notoriously hard to get feeding. Womas not so much. Once eating however bhp's will literally eat anything you put in front of them. Both are known for being rather hardy.
    If you want to see some stellar examples of bhp's check out Derek Roddy's stock. He has some beautiful womas too. Another greeter of exceptional womas is Art Aviles. There are also Facebook pages for bothers species. Black-headed pythons use, woman pythons use and aspedities keepers.
    Hope this helps.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (04-06-2018),Alter-Echo (04-06-2018),BR8080 (04-08-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast