Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,253

2 members and 3,251 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Snake bite and bacteria?

Hi guys! I sometimes think that whether there will be some bad bacteria pass through snake bite from the rodent to human? I fed my babies frozen/thaw rat I bought from perfect prey, I feel it should be OK and I saw that everyone will just wash the wound and rinse some rubbing alcohol or something after checking the snake is OK. And I haven't saw any news or posts that someone get some disease or infected by some bacteria (salmonella? lol) related with the rodent after a bite. So may I know is it enough to do like this after a bite:
    1 gently let the snake go and check if he/she loses teeth. If not, snake is OK.
    2 wash human wound with water and rubbing alcohol.
    Thank you so much!

Thanks
    Yeah, that's about it, unless you get bit by an adult retic or burmese... then stitches are in order. Lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

alice40604345 (03-30-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Snake bite and bacteria?

As long as you aren't feeding extra extra thawed (aka starting to rot)-your bite can just be cleaned.

However, if you get bit by your Argus monitor lizard who has been snacking on his sun ripened dead goat on/off for the last week...you probably want to get it checked by a professional...
    *.* TNTC

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

1 gently let the snake go and check if he/she loses teeth. If not, snake is OK.
    Snakes are losing teeth most of the time. It's not a big deal. IMO, the answer here is gently let the snake go, or not, whichever seems the better idea at the time.

2 wash human wound with water and rubbing alcohol.
    Check that no snake tooth was left in human's wound. Wash human's wound with soap and water. Or some other antiseptic if desired. Antibiotic cream is generally not needed but optional.

Years back, a state herp club did a survey of infections from snake bites. Of approximately 50 responses, none reported an infection. For what it's worth, I've had plenty of bites from non-venomous snakes without any infection.

I had a snake tooth stuck in the first finger of my left hand just past the first joint out from the knuckle for nearly a year before I figured out why it didn't feel quite right. I finally opened up the spot and squeezed out the tooth. There was no infection either before or after I got rid of the tooth.

Fortunately, I have never been bitten by a snake that was big enough for the wounds to require stitches. However, a couple of times I have dripped blood all the way to the sink.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

Thanks

LOL Thank you! Luckily the biggest snake I may have is a BCC boa haha!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    Yeah, that's about it, unless you get bit by an adult retic or burmese... then stitches are in order. Lol

Thanks

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Thank you so much! You guys are so humorous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    As long as you aren't feeding extra extra thawed (aka starting to rot)-your bite can just be cleaned.

However, if you get bit by your Argus monitor lizard who has been snacking on his sun ripened dead goat on/off for the last week...you probably want to get it checked by a professional...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Any and all bites should be cleaned and washed out. The bigger the snake and reptile, the worse the bite and the greater chance of a hospital visit. For little snakes like ball python, just use some antiseptic and water to wash off the bite and you will be just fine.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

Thanks

WOW!!! That's really great news!! Really nice to hear that! Thank you so much! Now I'm ready and confident to get any bites from my new baby suriname boa lol!!! He's not happy recently since I start to treat him with his mites and sometimes he's hissing me lol!!! Wow one year!!! Is the tooth too small to see? Will they lose teeth even we don't move after their bite? Will snakes also lose teeth when they eating? Wow is there anything like anticoagulation will be sent when they bite which causing more bleeding? Wow plenty of ! you must have so many snakes! May I know which kinds of your snakes are responsible for most of the bites lol?
    Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post
    Snakes are losing teeth most of the time. It's not a big deal. IMO, the answer here is gently let the snake go, or not, whichever seems the better idea at the time.

Check that no snake tooth was left in human's wound. Wash human's wound with soap and water. Or some other antiseptic if desired. Antibiotic cream is generally not needed but optional.

Years back, a state herp club did a survey of infections from snake bites. Of approximately 50 responses, none reported an infection. For what it's worth, I've had plenty of bites from non-venomous snakes without any infection.

I had a snake tooth stuck in the first finger of my left hand just past the first joint out from the knuckle for nearly a year before I figured out why it didn't feel quite right. I finally opened up the spot and squeezed out the tooth. There was no infection either before or after I got rid of the tooth.

Fortunately, I have never been bitten by a snake that was big enough for the wounds to require stitches. However, a couple of times I have dripped blood all the way to the sink.

Thanks

Thank you so much! Hope my Suriname baby will be docile when he becomes big...
    Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Any and all bites should be cleaned and washed out. The bigger the snake and reptile, the worse the bite and the greater chance of a hospital visit. For little snakes like ball python, just use some antiseptic and water to wash off the bite and you will be just fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alice40604345 View Post
    Wow one year!!! Is the tooth too small to see? Will they lose teeth even we don't move after their bite? Will snakes also lose teeth when they eating? Wow is there anything like anticoagulation will be sent when they bite which causing more bleeding? Wow plenty of ! you must have so many snakes! May I know which kinds of your snakes are responsible for most of the bites lol?
    Teeth can be hair-thin, even from a good-sized snake. If you’ve ever had a fine cactus spine/hair, sliver of glass, or insulation fiber, its kind of like that.

Anti-coagulant is usually a venom component. Bleeding is usually because bites consist of a bunch of punctures, and are usually on or near your hands, which have plenty of circulation, especially when the surprise of a bite gives your blood pressure a jolt.

The snakes most likely to bite, IMO, are scared babies. Which is usually not a big deal, and with gentle, consistent care and handling they grow out of it.

Then there’s the bites that are mostly human-caused, where the snakes
    * aren’t handled consistently
    * aren’t handled respectfully - startled, handled roughly, not supported, etc. Grumpy while in shed is a small sub-section, as sometimes handling while in shed has to happen
    * feeding accidents - like the time I reached into my Woma python’s enclosure on feeding night for another group of snakes. He could smell food, sense warm thing in his enclosure, and went for it, then let go in confusion - Hey! That’s not my mousie!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

alice40604345 (04-01-2018),paulh (03-31-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast