Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,524

1 members and 2,523 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

Possible belly burn/possible shed

I've been in the process of moving so I had to leave Bix at my mom's place while I got my room and his set-up in order. Really didn't want to stress him out by having him present during all the action. I have a spare 10 gal tank at her place to leave him in case of situations like this. The UTH used to work perfectly, but this time around I had his thermostat plugged into a separate outlet. He was there for 4 days. When I went to get him tonight I saw that he was wedged between his hide and the front glass. Weird for him. Slight panic mode.

I immediately took him out and checked the temp. Outside of the hide was a solid 71-85 range, but the inside of his hide was registering at about 101-113 (side note: his substrate is a mixture of coconut fiber and aspen). Initiate super freak out mode. I tucked him into the pouch of my tshirt and walked in nervous circles for a few minutes.

I then checked his belly. It's super pink. Seems more pink than the pre-shed norm and his pattern hasn't darkened so I'm skeptical. Also seems too soon for another shed - we celebrated his first shed of the new year in mid-February (I know, I know). No blisters, no cracking, no puss or scary bloody stuff. I would take pictures now but I have him home in his regular tank and I don't want to disturb him while he settles in. I fully intend to take him to the vet tomorrow if I see anything outside of improvement/further signs of shed. His next meal is officially postponed. He's been fairly active for the past 30 minutes. Any input? Anything I should do between now and tomorrow's verdict? I don't want to soak him if he's pre-shed. In the case of a possible burn, I don't like using manufactured products on my animals to medicate them and it's too late in the night to get ahold of a preservative-free aloe leaf. Let me know what you think, I'm open to all opinions and suggestions. Thanks guys

Thanks
    First... take a deep breath....hold it for five seconds, and let it out....

Now, I'm pretty sure from your description that if he does have a burn, it's probably minor, and putting anything on it may do more harm than good. If I were in your position, I would wait a few days and monitor the appearance of his belly. If it looks any worse during that time, take him to the vet. Until then, just keep an eye on him, keep his temps within the proper limits, and if you can, maybe get a pic of it and post it.

Thanks

Re: Possible belly burn/possible shed

Yeah I've definitely forgotten about the entire breathing part of this process (pretty helicopter mom with my pets. God help the future children) so seriously, thank you for that! I'll check him in the AM and take a picture or five. He's just the sweetest thing, I hate the abnormal stuff. Thank you for your reassurance, it's much appreciated

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I agree. I would just monitor it closely over the next few days.

...and yes, breathe. Bix will be ok. I know, easier said than done.

Thanks

i feel your pain

Yeah I just had the samething with my BEL... I hope you are as fortunate as I was...
    I’m posting pic now of her from super pink
    , likeI thought it was morph type dumbness. Iknow butwe learn new things daily so... long story short, she was pink for like all ofFeb, I first noticed it after her last shed in Mid-January, I’m like she isstill pink ??
    Well during her shed, she moved the probe in her tank and the thermostat keptrunning and I do believe she got burned. Vet visit took about 2 week to bookand by then she was in her new shed cycle. So I waited to after this shed (lastThursday or Friday) and as the Doc prescribed and seen coming, she is back toher beautiful white belly and other whiteness she has lol... long as they eat(and are eating), you bring down the temps, idk what thermostat you have but I’msure ppl can recommend something ..if your problem was that or whatever it maybe in your husbandry, your baby should be ok. Trust when a white snake turnspink You flipped sh!7! But with the helpful members on here, your hands oncare, and your research, hopefully (S)he should be fine. I’d still take (him)her to the vet to get a clean bill of health, priceless far as peace of mindwhen the guy who spent YEARS working with these types of issues gives you theconfidence to get back in there and make the next best effort for beautifulcreatures