Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,427

2 members and 3,425 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Account Disabled
    Thanks

How do you maintain the Heat? Tips

On smaller tanks, its kind of easy to have a hot and cold side, the heat lamp does its job at keeping the whole side warm.
    However, I recently got a larger tank, 4.5' Length x 2' x 2'
    My current set up, HOT SIDE: left side close to the corner is the hide on top of the heat mat, with the heat lamp more closer to the middle.
    COLD SIDE: right side close to the corner is the water bowl with a hide close by.
    I kinda have/want 2.5 feet on each side. Now my issue isn't the cold side, it's "cold" and at the right temps.
    But my hot side meets the requirements only under and very close to the heat lamp, I don't have the heat lamp on top of the hide as I don't want the inside to get too hot, as the mat is underneath. But that area near the hide or on the left side glass is not hot enough.

So for the owners with larger tanks, how do you keep the whole side hot, I was thinking of running out to the store and buying another heat lamp, do you guys have more than 1 heat lamp?
    Or do I upgrade the bulb, its a 100w, fairly new, do I upgrade to a 150w

Thank you

Thanks
    For my tanks, I either buy a larger heating pad that covers more area, or use a more powerful heat bulb/che.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    A lot depends on the composition of the tank, the locations of the openings for access, and what country you are in.

For PVC and/or other front access enclosures, radiant heat panels are the best solution for heating. This really only applies to the USA and Canada as we are the only ones who use these for reptiles and as such they are readily available to buy.

If you have a glass tank with a front opening, you can still use a radiant heat panel to heat the enclosure. For ball pythons it is also often advisable to heat one side of the floor with under tank heating unless you live in a climate that is warm enough for a BP most of the year.

More info on your tank and where you live can give insights on how to heat your enclosure.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Re: How do you maintain the Heat? Tips

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    A lot depends on the composition of the tank, the locations of the openings for access, and what country you are in.

For PVC and/or other front access enclosures, radiant heat panels are the best solution for heating. This really only applies to the USA and Canada as we are the only ones who use these for reptiles and as such they are readily available to buy.

If you have a glass tank with a front opening, you can still use a radiant heat panel to heat the enclosure. For ball pythons it is also often advisable to heat one side of the floor with under tank heating unless you live in a climate that is warm enough for a BP most of the year.

More info on your tank and where you live can give insights on how to heat your enclosure.

Yes, it's a glass tank, front opening. Vents on the top and in the front. I live in Canada, so never had to worry about humidity but temperature wise it would be too cold.

I do have an under tank heat pad that covers about half the hot side and that's controlled by a thermostat and is at the right temp at all times, it's just the space or let's say the air on the hot side that isn't under the lamp that isn't at the right degree.

So with your tank, shouldn't the whole area on the hot side be the right temperature, if you took a temp gun and pointed it anywhere on the hot side it should be the right temperature correct?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I have a PVC enclosure that helps me greatly to retain heat and better control temps. I use under tank heating to control the surface temp inside the warm hide and a radiant heat panel to help with ambient temps and cool side temps. The walls of the enclosure and areas the heat does not radiate to is nothing I concern myself due to the insulating properties of the PVC

You should be fine so long as the ground temps are near what your ball python needs. Thankfully they are not arboreal snakes.

If you are having problems keeping temps under control you can insulate the walls and floor of the glass tank to better control heat loss. If CHEs are not cutting it you can get a radiant heat panel from Cornel's World (ships them in Canada) and find videos online on ways to secure one to the screen top.

You will never be able to control heat as well in a glass tank as you can with PVC unless you heat the room the tank is in.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

Hamsnacks (03-23-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Re: How do you maintain the Heat? Tips

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    I have a PVC enclosure that helps me greatly to retain heat and better control temps. I use under tank heating to control the surface temp inside the warm hide and a radiant heat panel to help with ambient temps and cool side temps. The walls of the enclosure and areas the heat does not radiate to is nothing I concern myself due to the insulating properties of the PVC

You should be fine so long as the ground temps are near what your ball python needs. Thankfully they are not arboreal snakes.

If you are having problems keeping temps under control you can insulate the walls and floor of the glass tank to better control heat loss. If CHEs are not cutting it you can get a radiant heat panel from Cornel's World (ships them in Canada) and find videos online on ways to secure one to the screen top.

You will never be able to control heat as well in a glass tank as you can with PVC unless you heat the room the tank is in.
    Thank you very much for the advice SDA, appreciate it. I ended up going with a second heat lamp and now temperatures look good. Connected them to a thermostat to be safe but should be good for now.
    Definitely think I'll be going PVC for my next snake, like you said, helps control the temperatures better.

Thanks again!