Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,433

4 members and 3,429 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Proper gradient achievement

Hey y'all! I've just gotten a couple t8s set up with pro-heat panels and I'm having trouble getting them properly temped. To get my cool side ambient up to 80 I've got the warm side reading 102 in it's warmest spot (surface temp). I'm using quality thermometers and a laser temp gun, so I'm not concerned with the temps being off more than maybe a degree. There are areas on the warm side reading anywhere from 90 to the 102 and the cool side the lowest I'm clocking is 77.

This isn't going to work is it?

My logical brain that doesn't harbor encyclopedic snake knowledge tells me it's fine being that there's so much room to find the proper temp needed by my guys, but the wee nervous insecure bits of me tell me it's all wrong and I should have a break down...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python "Juju"
    1.0 Anerythystic Colombian Boa "Ludo"
    1.0 Amerlanistic Kinked Corn Snake "Oscar Pistorious"
    Along with my darling husband who hates my limbless lovies, girl child who isn't quite sure yet
    We're overlorded by two sister kitties and recent storm drain rescue who all wreak havoc everywhere they can sneak

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    Are you only using the RHP? Or is there a UTH in the mix as well?

Thanks

Re: Proper gradient achievement

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Are you only using the RHP? Or is there a UTH in the mix as well?
    As of right now there isn't an uth installed. I have one ready to go if it's needed. I'm not certain what good it will do? I mean I understand the concept of belly heat. I'm not a complete noob, but I sure feel like it right now lol. Just given that the surface temps are a wide range between 77 and 102 do I really need to add more heat?

Along with my darling husband who hates my limbless lovies, girl child who isn't quite sure yet
    We're overlorded by two sister kitties and recent storm drain rescue who all wreak havoc everywhere they can sneak

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mamaodie View Post
    As of right now there isn't an uth installed. I have one ready to go if it's needed. I'm not certain what good it will do? I mean I understand the concept of belly heat. I'm not a complete noob, but I sure feel like it right now lol. Just given that the surface temps are a wide range between 77 and 102 do I really need to add more heat?

No that wasn’t why I asked I was wondering if your heat of was giving off the high heat I was going to say lower that... that’s why I asked just to get tour full set up down.

What size RHP is installed. I’ll be honest now I’m asking more out of concern because I’m setting up very similar set ups and I have never used an RHP. Where is yours positioned ? How does it give such a wide range. Do you mean right under the heat panel is the high range and then the other end ?

What happens when you lower the therms down to get the warm side say 90... what does the other side get to?

My thought would be lower it and keep the high range down and have the cool side cooler for what you said the snake can move but you don’t want it too high and force it to the cold side that could cause issue. Sorry I can’t be more help but I’ll be watching as well to hopefully gain knowledge before mine get going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

Thanks

No that wasn’t why I asked I was wondering if your heat of was giving off the high heat I was going to say lower that... that’s why I asked just to get tour full set up down.

What size RHP is installed. I’ll be honest now I’m asking more out of concern because I’m setting up very similar set ups and I have never used an RHP. Where is yours positioned ? How does it give such a wide range. Do you mean right under the heat panel is the high range and then the other end ?

What happens when you lower the therms down to get the warm side say 90... what does the other side get to?

My thought would be lower it and keep the high range down and have the cool side cooler for what you said the snake can move but you don’t want it too high and force it to the cold side that could cause issue. Sorry I can’t be more help but I’ll be watching as well to hopefully gain knowledge before mine get going.

Gotcha! I ordered the pro-heat panel specifically because I wanted expert suggestion on size as well as the quality associated with this brand. I gave Bob the information on enclosure size temps of my home etc and he had me order the 65w for my 48x24x12 space.

I have the rhp installed in the back left corner there's about 10" from the front of the panel to the front of my cage and I'd say close to 30" from the opposite wall. I've just got Kraft paper laid down at the moment, but I'm balancing my temp before I move any animals in of course.

The problem (to my eyes) with setting the hottest spot to 90-92 is that my home sits between 62-68 degrees and likely will for another month at least. I'm afraid of giving my babies a nasty RI with those ambients. Better to want to stay on the cooler side than to live in the hottest spot trying to keep warm ... Right??

I'm rather neurotic when it comes to my husbandry after having a horrific start with my first snake. If it weren't for this forum he likely would have died within a month of him coming home with me, if not sooner. I'm scarred.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mamaodie View Post
    Gotcha! I ordered the pro-heat panel specifically because I wanted expert suggestion on size as well as the quality associated with this brand. I gave Bob the information on enclosure size temps of my home etc and he had me order the 65w for my 48x24x12 space.

I have the rhp installed in the back left corner there's about 10" from the front of the panel to the front of my cage and I'd say close to 30" from the opposite wall. I've just got Kraft paper laid down at the moment, but I'm balancing my temp before I move any animals in of course.

The problem (to my eyes) with setting the hottest spot to 90-92 is that my home sits between 62-68 degrees and likely will for another month at least. I'm afraid of giving my babies a nasty RI with those ambients. Better to want to stay on the cooler side than to live in the hottest spot trying to keep warm ... Right??

I'm rather neurotic when it comes to my husbandry after having a horrific start with my first snake. If it weren't for this forum he likely would have died within a month of him coming home with me, if not sooner. I'm scarred.

I totally understand your concern and you are doing the right thing by testing it and waiting. I still feel you need to lower it and see what the other side goes to... just because your house sits at that temp doesn’t mean in an encased enclosure that’s bumping radiant heat your far right side will all of a sudden become room temp. At least in my opinion. There is really only one way to know and that’s to try it. I’d go little by little. Lower the temp measure and keep a note pad. Ok therms at 100 hot wife 102 cool side 78 and go down the line. This really seems like a trial an error.

The only other option to me is to add a UTH on the cool side so that you get some heat going there or on the side of the cage maybe. Or I guess you could add another smaller RHP.

There is no way to get the room warmer ?? You could also do a space heater in that room?

On another note. May I ask what therm you are using and what you think about it because I’m shopping for them now and I can’t decide so any input would be nice !

1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

Thanks

I totally understand your concern and you are doing the right thing by testing it and waiting. I still feel you need to lower it and see what the other side goes to... just because your house sits at that temp doesn’t mean in an encased enclosure that’s bumping radiant heat your far right side will all of a sudden become room temp. At least in my opinion. There is really only one way to know and that’s to try it. I’d go little by little. Lower the temp measure and keep a note pad. Ok therms at 100 hot wife 102 cool side 78 and go down the line. This really seems like a trial an error.

The only other option to me is to add a UTH on the cool side so that you get some heat going there or on the side of the cage maybe. Or I guess you could add another smaller RHP.

There is no way to get the room warmer ?? You could also do a space heater in that room?

On another note. May I ask what therm you are using and what you think about it because I’m shopping for them now and I can’t decide so any input would be nice !

The house temps are set this low purposefully and won't be raised, so that's not an option. Neither is purchasing another heat panel at this time, though I do have an array of uth at my disposal if I have to use them. I just spent upwards of $800 purchasing the enclosures and rhps I have. My snake spending is on hold for a while. I'll have to figure out a way to make it work for winter weather.

Soon our indoor temps will jump to 78ish so it won't be an issue any longer.

I'm using a vivarium electronics hobbystat at the moment and I have a few of the little hydrofarm buddies that I use as well. The VE is okay. I intend on switching to herpstat shortly, aesthetics are my reasoning as the VE works just fine. I started out with hydrofarm on everything and I've yet to have a problem with them keeping steady. The actual temperature reading isn't exact on each of them, but once I find a setting that creates the appropriate amount of heat I've had no issue with their ability to hold steady. I only have three snakes at the moment so I don't need anything large or impressive as long as the job is done.

Thanks
    I would add another RHP + thermostat. I know that's not the best news, but probably the best solution to heating the ambient temp on a 4 foot cage in a cold room.

If budget is tight, I think it's fine to find a happy medium until the weather warms up soon. Just listen to your snake and adjust if it's spending all its time on one side.

Thanks
    Ok just trying to give you ideas to help. You know your house and your budget so you need to do what you can do given your situation.

Id do what I suggested and play w the temps slowly and see what happens. If you can get hot wide in the low 90s and let it gradually space out to the right side you should be fine. If you have UTH laying around I'd slap one or two on anyway not like that cost you a dime.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I'd add a UTH for a little extra belly heat on the cool side.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 03-22-2018 at 04:02 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast