Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,246

2 members and 2,244 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Children's Python

I bought a baby Children's Python from a local expo over the weekend. I did some research prior to the purchase and continue to do so now, but there is not much info about them compared to the overload of info for ball pythons. This is my set up:

6 qt sterilite tub
    Aspen bedding
    UTH with thermostat. Temp confirmed using digital thermometer: 88-90 F in basking spot, no lower than 78F on the cool side.
    Humidity is at 60-70%
    Small hide using a coffee filter, cut to fit the snake
    Small water bowl

He is kept in a quiet place with no traffic. I plan to move him out into my living space when he gets older and less shy. I have more confident in him settling down compared to my bp. No handling until after his 1st feeding tomorrow if he takes it. I plan to try F/T pinky mouse to see if he will switch for me or I will go live for the first 3 feedings then try again.

Anything else I need to know or change?

Are they good feeders? It seems no one ever address that because I am assuming that they are so no one would need to bring that up.

Thanks

Re: Children's Python

Get yourself a copy of “The Complete Children’s Python”, by Julander, Mutton, and Birch. Great book!

Your setup sounds good.

I have what was sold as Antaresia Maculosa (by a reputable shop), but she actually looks more like an A. Childreni. Whatever, she is, she’s a sweetheart. I can rarely tell when she’s in shed, but she almost never has problems shedding, so I don’t worry about it. She *is* pretty flaky when it comes to feeding - she feeds best when I hold her nose-to-nose with her mouse, then gently put it in when she opens her mouth. She coils it for a while, eventually eats it, and then goes on an explore. Wonambi and I laugh when people talk about not handling too soon before/after feeding.

I think most Antaresia are a lot more rational when it comes to feeding, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks
    I had one for about 12 years, was an adult when I got her and I believe she may have passed from old age. She was a fantastic feeder, ate small adult mice once a week, and never missed a meal. I kept her in a planted viv and found her to be very active at night. Temps were about the same as yours and humidity was 60-70%.