Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,398

2 members and 3,396 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

View Poll Results: How long did it take to switch to f/t!

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Instantly

10 71.43%
  • 1~2 weeks

1 7.14%
  • 3~4 weeks

4 28.57%
  • 5 weeks or more! comment appreciated!

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

How long did it take to switch to f/t prey?

I wanted to know how long other ball pythons took for switching from live to frozen as baby ~ juvenile that has been on live from hatchling.
    Last edited by gusanr14; 03-19-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks
    Only ever had one that was on live when I got her, left a ft rat in with her and the next morning it was gone.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Depends... some switch right away without issue, others may take months. I've had both. Never had one that wouldn't switch though, eventually.

For the Horde!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Alicia (03-19-2018),dakski (03-19-2018),EL-Ziggy (03-20-2018),Hamsnacks (03-19-2018)

Thanks

Re: How long did it take to switch to f/t prey?

I had always fed my red tails live back in the day and considered doing the same when I got my first ball python because it’s what I had been used to and I always watched them eat anyway to make sure they didn’t get injured. Then I found out it’s not so easy to get live rats anymore... at least not near me. So since she had been on f/t anyway, I figured it best to keep it that way rather than try to switch later.

i was nervous the first time, but I thawed it out and warmed it in hot water made sure the temp was in the normal range for a live mouse and presented it in the tongs. To my surprise, I handled it quite well and the transition was pretty much instant... She struck right away. Although once she struck and wrapped it, I grabbed the tail of the mouse with the tongs and wiggled a little bit, while saying “struggle, struggle, struggle.” I kind of felt the need to let her feel like she was still a stone cold killa.

So overall, I think the adjustment was pretty much instant for me and it’s been cake ever since.

Oh, you meant how long did my snake take to adjust to the switch? My bad.

She had already been on f/t before I got her.
    Last edited by Sgt7212; 03-19-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Thanks
    I'm with AbsoluteApril. I've started new hatchies on f/t, and I've had babies that needed a couple weeks on live and then pre-killed before they made the conversation. . . . Same with juveniles from other people.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-19-2018)

Thanks

I was very lucky with my boy. I got him as a 100ish gram baby that had only had live. I waited until the week I was picking him up at a reptile show and had a very current weight to order frozen rats.
    Then about four days later I got an email saying my shipment would be delayed for 1 to 2 weeks as that size was out of stock. So not really thinking it would make a difference I brought home 2 frozen mice from work in the 12-15 gram range to hold me over... he ate instantly at his first feeding with me than again 5 days later. By then I had my rats in, and he at those too without hesitation. He's been going strong since, other than winter fasts that is.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Most switch first offering for me but some can take a couple tries. I think leaving them completely alone and not in over sized, lighted housing is key. I also have good odds just starting hatchlings right on ft so its less stress for the ones going to pet homes. Theres a bunch of things you can do to increase your success rate like offering at night with dim lights, dry off the ft food and have it the right temp, dont just dangle it by its tail/leg, stay out of sight as much as possible..

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-19-2018)

Thanks

My baby was on live when I got him. He was feeding on Sundays. I bought him Saturday and that Sunday he ate F/T. Pretty fast transition. He has ate F/T every Sunday since. I do wiggle it with the tongs and he gets it first strike always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

I had issues switching to thawed, until i started using the “hairdryer method”, snd now its easy. I thaw the rodents out for 2-3 hours in the heated snake room. By this time the entire snake room snells like rats, and the snakes are raring to kill!!! Then i get em hot with the hairdryer, and the little pythons strike within seconds.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I had issues switching to thawed, until i started using the “hairdryer method”, snd now its easy. I thaw the rodents out for 2-3 hours in the heated snake room. By this time the entire snake room snells like rats, and the snakes are raring to kill!!! Then i get em hot with the hairdryer, and the little pythons strike within seconds.
    Wow that’s cool trick I’m deff going to try that out . I’m having an issue switching one of my little ones over from FT mice to FY rat pups I’ve tried rubbing the rat pup on the Mouse before feeding but she won’t strike the rat but will stroke the mouse immediately. Any tips ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast