Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,536

2 members and 3,534 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Collection List and Goals

So I am goal oriented and the one thing I am not interested in is random egg production. So I pair specifically based on creating holdbacks with minimum "wasted" production of normals or of morphs that are not desired for my projects.

One of my goals is to clean up a number of base morphs to breed into extensive projects at a later date. There is honestly a lack of quality in base morphs in my opinion because they are bred by those who breed "CL finds" as well as those who create combos and the base morphs are along for the ride.

Another of my goals is to work on creating dark morphs with great pattern and lots of contrast. This will be created using the very strong cleaned up base morphs.

Here is a current list of my animals that I am working with to work these projects. I obviously will make some awesome combos, as we all know that's how things are funded but goals is a must.

Enchi Spider (Laid 1/6/18 - Hatched 3/4/18)
    Pastel Yellow Belly
    Super Pastel Yellow Belly
    Het Red Axanthic
    Super Pastel Pinstripe
    Cinnamon Pinstripe Leopard
    Black Pastel Pastel
    GHI Mojave
    Fire Het Clown
    Phantom
    Fire Spark
    50% Het Pied
    Pastel Lesser 50% Pied
    Blackhead
    Calico
    Pastel Mystic
    Yellow Belly 100% Het Hypo
    Mojave Yellow Belly Hypo
    100% Het Ultramel
    Fire Leopard Spider
    Pastel Mojave
    Special Spotnose
    X-treme Pastel
    Enchi Mojave
    Enchi Mojave
    Fire Pastel
    Het Clown
    Het Clown
    Het Clown
    Het Clown
    Hypo

2018 Blackside Ball Pythons Holdbacks
    Pastel Enchi Lesser
    Pastel Enchi Spider
    Pastel Lesser Spider Pinstripe

Butter Pastel Pinstripe
    Cinnamon Yellow Belly (Gravel)
    Spark
    Banana Spider
    Pastel Het Red Axanthic
    Fire Het Clown
    Orange Dream Pinstripe
    Calico (Dinker)
    Yellow Belly 100% Het Ultramel
    Fire Pastel Mojave
    Fire Pastel Xtreme
    Pastel Special Spotnose
    GHI Pinstripe
    Gene X PIED
    Pastel Clown
    Leopard Mojave Het Desert Ghost

"EDITED"

There are a few things that I am looking to make this year besides base morphs. They are very specific so hopefully I get the desired results

-Pastel Puma
    -Cinnamon Pastel Ivory or Highway (Proving male out)
    -Pastel Red Axanthic
    -Pastel Banana Spinners

One or 2 females that come from the banana clutch will be retained as well as probably one male. I am trying to breed out the imperfections (Freckles) in them and with my male who only has a half dozen tiny freckles, I should be only a year or 2 away.

All Red Axanthics will be held back regardless of sex. This will lead to a very expansive project in the future.

Ivories or Highways are always welcomed. Looking to clean up the cinnamon so holdbacks are going to be based on their appearance.

Spark x Pastel YB will hopefully yield my Pastel Puma, however I did back her up with my Cinny YBravel one time so no love lost on more Ivories or Highways...

Best part is that we are moving soon so I will be building a snake room where the magic will happen. Thanks for reading this and hopefully I can get you some pics along the way.

Here is the 0.1 Lesser and you can see the blushing on the back... so intense

Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-19-2018 at 01:15 PM. Reason: TOS Violation
    "Passion Breeds Quality, Quality Breeds Desire" - Tim

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ElliotNess For This Useful Post:

the_rotten1 (03-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Re: Collection List and Goals

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotNess View Post
    So I am goal oriented and the one thing I am not interested in is random egg production. So I pair specifically based on creating holdbacks with minimum "wasted" production of normals or of morphs that are not desired for my projects.

One of my goals is to clean up a number of base morphs to breed into extensive projects at a later date. There is honestly a lack of quality in base morphs in my opinion because they are bred by those who breed "CL finds" as well as those who create combos and the base morphs are along for the ride.

Another of my goals is to work on creating dark morphs with great pattern and lots of contrast. This will be created using the very strong cleaned up base morphs.

Here is a current list of my animals that I am working with to work these projects. I obviously will make some awesome combos, as we all know that's how things are funded but goals is a must.

Enchi Spider (Laid 1/6/18 - Hatched 3/4/18)
    Pastel Yellow Belly
    Super Pastel Yellow Belly
    Het Red Axanthic
    Super Pastel Pinstripe
    Cinnamon Pinstripe Leopard
    Black Pastel Pastel
    GHI Mojave
    Fire Het Clown
    Phantom
    Fire Spark
    50% Het Pied
    Pastel Lesser 50% Pied
    Blackhead
    Calico
    Pastel Mystic
    Mojave Yellow Belly Hypo
    100% Het Ultramel
    Fire Leopard Spider
    Pastel Mojave
    Special Spotnose
    X-treme Pastel
    Enchi Mojave
    Enchi Mojave
    Fire Pastel
    Het Clown
    Het Clown
    Het Clown
    Het Clown
    Hypo

2018 Blackside Ball Pythons Holdbacks
    Pastel Enchi Lesser
    Pastel Enchi Spider
    Pastel Lesser Spider Pinstripe

Butter Pastel Pinstripe
    Cinnamon Yellow Belly (Gravel)
    Spark
    Banana Spider
    Pastel Het Red Axanthic
    Fire Het Clown
    Orange Dream Pinstripe
    Calico (Dinker)
    Yellow Belly 100% Het Ultramel
    Fire Pastel Mojave
    Fire Pastel Xtreme
    Pastel Special Spotnose
    GHI Pinstripe
    Gene X PIED
    Pastel Clown
    Leopard Mojave Het Desert Ghost

There are a few things that I am looking to make this year besides base morphs. They are very specific so hopefully I get the desired results

-Pastel Puma
    -Cinnamon Pastel Ivory or Highway (Proving male out)
    -Pastel Red Axanthic
    -Pastel Banana Spinners

One or 2 females that come from the banana clutch will be retained as well as probably one male. I am trying to breed out the imperfections (Freckles) in them and with my male who only has a half dozen tiny freckles, I should be only a year or 2 away.

All Red Axanthics will be held back regardless of sex. This will lead to a very expansive project in the future.

Ivories or Highways are always welcomed. Looking to clean up the cinnamon so holdbacks are going to be based on their appearance.

Spark x Pastel YB will hopefully yield my Pastel Puma, however I did back her up with my Cinny YBravel one time so no love lost on more Ivories or Highways...

Best part is that we are moving soon so I will be building a snake room where the magic will happen. Thanks for reading this and hopefully I can get you some pics along the way.

Here is the 0.1 Lesser and you can see the blushing on the back... so intense

Impressive list of animals
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-19-2018 at 01:16 PM. Reason: EDITED QUOTE

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

bmwood (03-19-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Nice collection, my project I want to start is with the phantom gene, i noticed not many have really experimented heavy with it, and I just bought a female super phantom so hopefully I can find something new and make some cool morphs !! My collection isnt as vast as yours but heres what I have so far to play with in the next couple years.

1.0 Orange Dream/Enchi/Fire
    0.1 Enchi/Pastel
    0.1 Super Phantom
    0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Het Desert Ghost

0.1 Super Pastel VPI Axanthic Enchi (Jasmin)

0.1 Black Pastel Mojave
    0.1 Calico Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Het Red Axanthic Het Desert Ghost
    1.0 Orange Dream Enchi Fire
    0.1 leatherback hypo Bearded Dragon
    1.0 Purple Motley Suntiger Citron Reticulated
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.2 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    0.0.1 White Tree Frog
    1.0 Green Anaconda
    0.1 Indonesian Frilled Dragon

Thanks
    Its exciting to see people having such clear goals with their breeding projects, too many breeders just wanna do what everyone else is doing and end up dumping their collections when they realize it isn't the cash cow they were hoping for.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (03-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    Its exciting to see people having such clear goals with their breeding projects, too many breeders just wanna do what everyone else is doing and end up dumping their collections when they realize it isn't the cash cow they were hoping for.
    This is absolutely it. I literally have hundreds of people blocked on IG because they play the breed for eggs hobby which is just them trying to get a quick buck. I literally could care less if I ever sell a snake.

My motto is "Passion Breeds Quality, Quality Breeds Desire" because if you are passionate about your hobby than you put in the effort, then those efforts show the positive part of the hobby which brings positive attention.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Impressive list of animals
    Thank you very much

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ElliotNess For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (03-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    That's an impressive list and a very aggressive expansion. I haven't counted them up but it looks like you have more than 50 hold backs. I have about that many and keep in mind that I spend between $4,000 and $5,000 per year in rat food, rat bedding, and snake bedding to support that many snakes, not to mention the initial investment in racks and supplies. So if you hold them back for two years and then breed in the third year you will rack up nearly $15,000 in expenses before you make any money at all.

This should be my first year really coming out ahead financially and it's taken a toll over the last couple years with a lot of expenses and hardly anything coming in. Just something to keep in mind if you plan to expand that much. I'd suggest a slower expansion, maybe just hold back a few snakes every year, or maybe a percentage of your breeder females to balance things as you grow. The thing that hit me the hardest is that I lost my job over six months ago, I still have three months before I'm selling hatchlings, so that's nine months of hard times. However, if you have other income that can support that kind of expansion I say go for it! And of course the more snake money you have coming in the more you can re-invest in projects. I watched a video of a big breeder holding back 200 hatchlings one year and 500 the next!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    That's an impressive list and a very aggressive expansion. I haven't counted them up but it looks like you have more than 50 hold backs. I have about that many and keep in mind that I spend between $4,000 and $5,000 per year in rat food, rat bedding, and snake bedding to support that many snakes, not to mention the initial investment in racks and supplies. So if you hold them back for two years and then breed in the third year you will rack up nearly $15,000 in expenses before you make any money at all.

This should be my first year really coming out ahead financially and it's taken a toll over the last couple years with a lot of expenses and hardly anything coming in. Just something to keep in mind if you plan to expand that much. I'd suggest a slower expansion, maybe just hold back a few snakes every year, or maybe a percentage of your breeder females to balance things as you grow. The thing that hit me the hardest is that I lost my job over six months ago, I still have three months before I'm selling hatchlings, so that's nine months of hard times. However, if you have other income that can support that kind of expansion I say go for it! And of course the more snake money you have coming in the more you can re-invest in projects. I watched a video of a big breeder holding back 200 hatchlings one year and 500 the next!
    I work for General Atomics and Surefire Institute. This by no means is a source of income for me. I breed my own rats so I really just spend money on rat food and when I need to supplement, my buddy breeds about 100k rodents a year and I get them for cheap. I don't plan on holding back a lot. I have a cap I am sure but haven't found it yet. I will obviously move the ones not needed for projects simply because of the cost to hold back but I am not breeding at Random and in some cases not every year. I am breeding literally to achieve certain morphs.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ElliotNess For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (03-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    This is absolutely it. I literally have hundreds of people blocked on IG because they play the breed for eggs hobby which is just them trying to get a quick buck. I literally could care less if I ever sell a snake.

My motto is "Passion Breeds Quality, Quality Breeds Desire" because if you are passionate about your hobby than you put in the effort, then those efforts show the positive part of the hobby which brings positive attention.
    totes agree w/ all this. clear goals and great philosophy on breeding and the hobby.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

the_rotten1 (03-25-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    totes agree w/ all this. clear goals and great philosophy on breeding and the hobby.
    Thanks... I am new to breeding but used to catch rattlers on Camp Pendleton in the early 90s and had snakes most of my life. I decided to breed cause I cant afford the morphs I really like or they aren't the quality I desire.

Thanks

I work for General Atomics and Surefire Institute. This by no means is a source of income for me. I breed my own rats so I really just spend money on rat food and when I need to supplement, my buddy breeds about 100k rodents a year and I get them for cheap. I don't plan on holding back a lot. I have a cap I am sure but haven't found it yet. I will obviously move the ones not needed for projects simply because of the cost to hold back but I am not breeding at Random and in some cases not every year. I am breeding literally to achieve certain morphs.
    Same philosophy here. After getting my first ball and
    Realizing that I wanted to work with them in the future, I strategically chose the other three not only because they were morphs I liked, but because when bred together they will compliment eachother. I can create beautiful combos and if I plan carefully I can use these to create even more amazing combos. I plan on staying small, maybe only a few clutches a year, and any money I make from selling the offspring I don't wish to keep can help me pay for my feeders for the year. I don't wanna get rich, I wanna make beautiful snakes that will make people happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast