Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,302

1 members and 3,301 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Thinking about getting back into ball pythons? Breeding questions.

I have recently rekindled my love for ball pythons. I had 7 at one point, but was never brave enough to breed them, due to lack of time/money. I moved to Georgia, and decided to sell my collection before the move to avoid transporting everything halfway across the country. Recently ive been tempted to maybe buy a couple of adults, along with a 3-5 41qt rack, and seeing what happens. A few problems however. I am not capable of working with melamine (Ive tried, not my thing.), and pvc is not easy to find (or im dumb.). Next best option would be ordering one online. This is the link to the best option ive found so far (I have money, although not a ton.) http://boamaster.com/racks/pvc-racks...1860-econo-pvc . Thoughts on this? One thing i noticed in the description is that it wont heat up properly in a room temperature room, which is all i have. Assuming this is true, any idea? Or would i be better off just buying a more expensive rack (Suggestions please?). More questions. Theoretically, if i was to purchase a male and a female of breeding size sometime in mid April, when would be the soonest i could pair them up (Stress of relocation, Breeding season, etc.) Lastly, an incubator. If i needed a incubator to hold 2 clutches, I would probably be better off building my own correct? Any suggestions for types of incubators to build/models to buy? Think thats all i got right now. More questions to come almost undoubtedly.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are many rack manufacturers out there if you are looking into PVC racks I would recommend C-serpents and Animal Plastics, Boamaster however not so much check the BOI for reviews.

If the room temp is low you will want an enclosed rack.

If you buy animals that are breeding size I would give them 6 months to acclimate and make sure they eat for you before even attempting to breed, adult females are tricky and take a while to adjust.

For 2 clutches build your own incubator out of a cooler and remember the single most important piece of equipment for your incubator will be a RELIABLE T-Stat.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Thinking about getting back into ball pythons? Breeding questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    There are many rack manufacturers out there if you are looking into PVC racks I would recommend C-serpents and Animal Plastics, Boamaster however not so much check the BOI for reviews.

If the room temp is low you will want an enclosed rack.

If you buy animals that are breeding size I would give them 6 months to acclimate and make sure they eat for you before even attempting to breed, adult females are tricky and take a while to adjust.

For 2 clutches build your own incubator out of a cooler and remember the single most important piece of equipment for your incubator will be a RELIABLE T-Stat.
    Thank you so much! I looked at Animal Plastics while searching, not sure whats going on, but the racks dont show the price which is weird. Another thing. I know standard practice says 41 qt tubs, however I have heard of people using 28 qt just fine. If i decided to go with 28 qts, do you think i'd be okay? Or are 41 qts necessary?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They just re-did their website and have a few issues but you can contact Ali with any question and she will take care of you.

As far as size anything under 2000 grams I keep in 32 quarts, anything over I keep in 41 quarts or V70.

28 quarts are fine for adult males
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

Re: Thinking about getting back into ball pythons? Breeding questions.

I have two racks from Animal Plastics and they hold heat/humidity very well in my OP. AP does have a longer turn around time so if you do order from them you will have to have temp housing for your animals until your AP racks arrive if you get the BPs first. If you want to build your own rack using PVC, look to see if your local Home Depot carries 1/2 inch sheets. Mine in Pittsburgh has 4'x8' 1/2 inch sheets for under $70. If you pick up two breeder size BPs in April, by October/November they should be acclimated to their new environment enough to pair them. A cooler incubator would be the least expensive route to take for an incubator. There are plenty of DIYs out there on them. My first incubator was a cooler and fit 3 clutches. Never had any issues with it.
    Last edited by PghBall; 03-21-2018 at 07:37 AM.
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/