Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,458

4 members and 3,454 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Bedding in nose pits??!

Ever since I switched to coconut bedding Reptile Prime (which I love) my albino female always looks like she has dirt in her nose pits. She's also off feed so I'm hoping I'm not missing anything. Any advice would be helpful. Should I let her swim in some water to flush out pits?

Thanks

Re: Bedding in nose pits??!

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFawkesJeep View Post
    Ever since I switched to coconut bedding Reptile Prime (which I love) my albino female always looks like she has dirt in her nose pits. She's also off feed so I'm hoping I'm not missing anything. Any advice would be helpful. Should I let her swim in some water to flush out pits?
    Here is a pic of her...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Well...that is odd.

I use Reptile Prime and I have light colored snakes and I have never seen this.

To me it looks like she is pushing or burrowing through the substrate. Could there be something that is bothering her face ? Retained shed? Shed about to happen? Upper respiratory infection?

Are the temps ok ? Is she ever pushing in corners ??Trying to get out of the enclosure??

No, this is not normal, but I don't think its because of the substrate, for some reason she is really pushing her face into it hard for it to get impacted into her heat pits like this.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    Seems normal, some snakes (even ball pythons) can be burrowers, they might have smelled something interesting, or if they were fed recently accidentally shoved their face into the dirt. I've also noticed some of my snakes get suuuper interested in freshly-expanded EcoEarth, so if that's a fresh batch, it was probably just getting a good sniff. (My albino boa always has some bedding stuck somewhere, but usually doesn't get it caked on her snout.)

The substrate shouldn't harm it, but if your individual isn't against the idea of water, maybe give it a quick bath just long enough to clear the substrate out?
    Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 03-15-2018 at 07:43 AM.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")