Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

1 members and 3,357 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Threaded View

Thanks

Possibly Injury?

Okay, so I'm a little worried.

I keep my snake in a large tub and use paper towels as a substrate. I used to use newspaper, but he seems to like the paper towels more cause he can hide under them a bit easier. Tonight I opened his tub and noticed that there were a few specks of blood trailing from where I feed him to his favorite hiding spot. I immediately checked him all over for injuries and couldn't find one. I then cleaned his enclosure.

He just turned 1 years old and he has not shed recently. Though, I noticed when I picked him up to check if he was injured that he is very close to shedding. (His eyes are staring to cloud up a bit.)

I don't actually know if he's a boy or girl, I haven't taken him to the veterinarian yet to be checked. I don't want to try and do it myself because I've never done it and I don't want to cause him any unnecessary stress. I'm perfectly okay not knowing until I get him checked at the vet.

I was just wondering if anyone could possibly explain what or where this blood came from? He's not bleeding anymore as far as I can tell. There were no new wet spots. The ones that were there were dry and old. They weren't there when I fed him which was about 36 hours ago.

I will also add that he has never refused a meal and has always had complete sheds. I'm still a rather new BP owner but I don't think he's very stressed as far as I can tell. He hasn't shown any signs that I read about online (yawning, refusing to eat, partial sheds, etc.) He has yawned at me, but it was only once when I first changed his enclosure from a tank to a tub, which was quite a long time ago. He used to yawn at me sometimes in his tank, though since I changed him to a tub, he hasn't done it at all.

Any help would be appreciated! Normally I would rush him to the vet but since the blood was dry and he doesn't seem to bleeding anymore as far as I can tell, I decided to take a few calming breaths and try here first. (Also, after I changed his cage and put him in, there hasn't been anymore blood on the paper towels so far.)

Thank you all so much!
    Last edited by Stofey; 03-12-2018 at 10:56 PM.