Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,286

3 members and 3,283 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Herpstat 1 question

Hello,
    I have received and set up my herpstat 1 with 4 inch heat tape today.
    My question is, I set my herpstat to 90 degrees and the probe is reading 90. When I used my temp gun to measure heat tape temp, it reads 100 degrees. Is this normal? Or does heat tape have to have exact temperature as stated on herpstat? I use metalic probe, and foil tape is not taped on the probe but on the cable to fix it into place. My temp gun functions fine, tested it before. The herpstat prob seems to work fine,tested with room temp and there is about less than 0.5 degree difference which isn’t a problem. What is making it that temp gun reads 100 degrees but probe reads 90.
    Probe located right on the heat tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gusanr14; 03-12-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Heat tape is not going to be consistent temp across the whole tape. That is the only downfall to it. You need to just temp gun the inside floor of the cage/tub all around where the heat tape is and just set up a happy median. It is going to be a little hotter in some spots and cooler in others. In all my cages, the flexwatt varies from 84-90F. The snakes will find a spot they like on it and sit there. And then move off when they are warm enough.

You can also move the probe to the hottest spot and set the temp from there if you want.

And to answer your question, are you taking the reading from the exact same spot as the probe at a distance of less than 1 inch? Try temp gunning the probe itself right on top of it. Also, maybe the temp gun is off. Try putting a temp gauge probe on the same spot next to the Herpstat probe. See if they are close.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Herpstat 1 question

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Heat tape is not going to be consistent temp across the whole tape. That is the only downfall to it. You need to just temp gun the inside floor of the cage/tub all around where the heat tape is and just set up a happy median. It is going to be a little hotter in some spots and cooler in others. In all my cages, the flexwatt varies from 84-90F. The snakes will find a spot they like on it and sit there. And then move off when they are warm enough.

You can also move the probe to the hottest spot and set the temp from there if you want.

And to answer your question, are you taking the reading from the exact same spot as the probe at a distance of less than 1 inch? Try temp gunning the probe itself right on top of it. Also, maybe the temp gun is off. Try putting a temp gauge probe on the same spot next to the Herpstat probe. See if they are close.
    Temps are good inside the cage but was just wondering if there should be a difference. I found some stuff and I guess, the air temp also affects the probe which makes sense because probe isn't wrapped around the heat tape. So I guess probe is considering heat tape itself and air around it which should be perfectly fine.
    I guess I found the reason.