Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,261

1 members and 3,260 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: What is the best intermediate snake species?

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Boa constrictor or red tail
    Dumeril's boa
    Carpet python
    Brazilian rainbow boa
    Don't forget the dwarf Boa's as well, like Hogg Island Boa, Sonorans, Crawl Cay's, Caulkers Cay's and Pearl Island and Nicaraguan to name a few.... These only top out at 4-5ft at the most (depending on sex) but still have the wonderful character of larger Boa's.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

Tyler Lawrence (03-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    Don't forget the dwarf Boa's as well, like Hogg Island Boa, Sonorans, Crawl Cay's, Caulkers Cay's and Pearl Island and Nicaraguan to name a few.... These only top out at 4-5ft at the most (depending on sex) but still have the wonderful character of larger Boa's.
    Excellent suggestion. .. here's my Dwarf SunGlow Boa ..he's over two years old and I don't think he's reached 30" yet !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (03-14-2018),Tyler Lawrence (03-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Yes, yes, and yes! Good points. Although, I think colubrids are cool, though not exactly your cup of tea, Sauzo?

I agree it's very important to research. You are going to have a colubrid for 10-20 years and a boid for even longer. Make sure you are comfortable with your decision and can properly care for the snake. You are asking the question, so I imagine you will do that, but it's a good point.

"Boas are much more laid back, kind of like a huge BP that isnt scared or hides."

I am nominating this for best description of a Boa on BP.net.

I can attest, from limited experience, Boa's are not shy and do not scare easy! Shayna, my BP is a total sweetheart, but scares herself bumping into stationary objects, and is rarely found outside a hide.

Behira uses hides, but usually only part way. She likes getting her body snug in there, but her head is almost always way out of the hide and checking things out.

She is very observant and likes to see what's going on around her, in tank, or out and about being handled. I like the bravery and personality, but do not love Shayna any less.

For what's worth, Figment, my corn (and I have had several throughout my life), is similar to Boa's in terms of not scaring easy and often checking things out. He likes to hide more than Behira, but also will come right out to see me half the time I open the tank. When being handled, he is more interested in moving around though. He's an adult and about 650G and 5FT, so very manageable, to say the least, but he moves a lot. He does not scare or mind being redirected though. If he bumps into something, it's, "NEXT!" Bump, next, bump, next, bump, next. He almost likes bumping things with his head to investigate.
    Nah, I'm more of a large constrictor person. I like hognoses and maybe one day I'll get one but for me, i prefer the snakes i can throw over my shoulder and go outside in backyard with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Lawrence View Post
    I have done some research and found an amazing snake species the Asian vine snake,
    though I think since I have not had an arboreal or defensive snake yet it might be a little much,
    I think I should get a little experience with a nippy/fast arboreal snake that's not rear fanged venomous,
    So do you think I should have experience with another species first? If so what?
    Thanks.
    If you like a vine snake, go for it. The reptile shop i go to a lot had a little one which was pretty cool looking. I really wouldnt worry about the rear fang venom. Hognose are rear fanged venom too. The venom is more for subduing prey than trying to use on a predator.

I was scared of getting a GTP for over 20 years and wish i would have just done it. Being arboreal really isnt that much of a different set up. I mean it is different but not like day or night. Most arboreals will use horizontal space more too. Just like GTPs are arboreal but they dont climb up and down tree trunks all night long. They spend a lot of time on the floor as well as going horizontal through branches. Just do research on caging size they need and their size as well as other husbandry and if you can meet it, go for it.

As for nippy, a lot of babies are nippy and snakes in general arent a dog or cat. They arent something you 'play' with daily and throw a stick and it fetches it. Just get a snake hook and after the snake settles in, work with it. Who knows, maybe you will get a weirdo one that likes interaction. Retics always had a bad rap and Caesar is like a giant kid. He literally wants attention and will pace the front until you open a door and pet him and socialize with him. Then when he gets his fill, he will lay down and get quiet or go half in a hide.

Bottom line is if you like a snake, do the research and if you can afford it and care for it, go for it. Now something like full on venomous reptiles, i would hold off on them until you have experience and make sure you or your local hospital has antivenom lol. I've been so close to pulling the trigger on a gila or beaded lizard as i've wanted one as long as i've wanted a GTP.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-14-2018),Team Slytherin (03-14-2018),Tyler Lawrence (03-14-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Excellent suggestion. .. here's my Dwarf SunGlow Boa ..he's over two years old and I don't think he's reached 30" yet !

T+ Nic sunglow?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Tyler Lawrence (03-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Lawrence View Post
    I have done some research and found an amazing snake species the Asian vine snake,
    though I think since I have not had an arboreal or defensive snake yet it might be a little much,
    I think I should get a little experience with a nippy/fast arboreal snake that's not rear fanged venomous,
    So do you think I should have experience with another species first? If so what?
    Thanks.
    I don't know much about Asian Vine Snakes, except what I have read, and seen on youtube, etc.

Personally, not a big fan of any type of venomous snake, even rear fanged, and I do not know their temperament in general. I would likely be willing to get a hognose though, because they are not known to be nippy and are incredibly cute!

Aside from that, I have read that Asian Vine Snakes eat mostly lizards and occasionally, small rodents (very small). I have also read that they hunt by movement and will not eat a dead lizard. So you will be feeding live anoles and geckos. I couldn't do that. I don't even feed live rodents to my snakes, but I keep a Blue Tongue Skink and Leopard Geckos. I couldn't imagine feeding off any type of gecko to a snake. That's me. However, you also have to make sure you access to live lizards as prey. Asian Vine Snakes eat more frequently than many other snakes as well. So 2+ lizards a week can be costly.

There also isn't too much out there on them. I would be wary of that as well. Could you get CB one, or you have to get an import?

If that's the direction you want to go, that's great. Just make sure you know what you are getting into. Definitely not for me though!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I always thought Vine snakes were small at about 15" , very skinny and extremely fast moving. I had no idea they were rear fanged !

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I always thought Vine snakes were small at about 15" , very skinny and extremely fast moving. I had no idea they were rear fanged !

Extremely fast moving and rear fanged. Why do I wish that was mutually exclusive instead of synonymous here?

Well, I am not changing my mind about not getting one, that's for sure.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    T+ Nic sunglow?
    I really don't know tbh

Thanks

I really don't know tbh

Ah figured it was since you said dwarf. The only true dwarf sunglows are T+ as T- is Kahl and Sharp which are 'full size' boas. Just like Sunset boas are a mix of Hogg and 'full size' BCI.

The only thing that threw me was its background color seems pretty white for a T+ as they are more orange in color.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 03-14-2018 at 01:43 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Extremely fast moving and rear fanged. Why do I wish that was mutually exclusive instead of synonymous here?

Well, I am not changing my mind about not getting one, that's for sure.
    Go for it. The little one i saw that the gal had at the reptile shop was neat looking. But like i said, I'm more a big constrictor guy. She knows that too but had to show me the vine snake anyways haha. I was like 'Neat Kayla, get any new large constrictors?" lol.

And really to get any kind of venom injected into you, that snake would have to somehow get a chunk of you all the way to the back of it's mouth and considering they dont have a head like a 6+ foot boa, seems only a finger might work.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 03-14-2018 at 01:47 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast