Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,316

1 members and 3,315 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Good morning!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    Just because you got her at Petsmart doesn’t mean she can’t be a cypress

again the bulk breeder selling to them maybe just didn’t know and you got lucky.

Id add to that list a thermostat cause you could fry this snake or as said earlier the prob reads 91 the ground could be more which is bad. The therm will turn the heat source off and on and keep things regulated.

Also so if you are going to the pet store get an under the tank heater zoo med makes ones that can be had at Petsmart. Do you have a reptile store in town?

Thanks

Re: Good morning!

Unfortunately we don't have a reptile store close by. The nearest one is about 30 miles different direction that home.
    The only one i pass on my way home is a petsmart or a petco.

I will add thermostat to my list.

Hopefully petsmart has one since they are the ones who originally told him to never use an underground heater. The girl was supposedly an expert snake person since she herself has ball pythons at home...so she says.

So, you think she may be a Cypress? We've had several guesses on what she looks like. Most people just say she looks like a pretty colored normal. Someone else said she looked like a Normal colored Spotnose?

Thanks

I just looked at this page with Cypress Ball Python pictures. She does look a lot like a couple of them on the top 2 rows.

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...s/gene/cypress

But she does not look like this one:
    http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/cypress/

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maybeka View Post
    Ok, my son goes to school right after work today so i am stopping on my way home to pick up:

1. A temp gun.
    2. A small fuzzy mouse (or x-small)
    3. Another hide.

When i get home i'm going to put in the new hide (hopefully something new won't stress her out more) then i'm going to try out the temp gun and then i'm going to take out the piece of slate rock and take a pic of her enclosure.

Now the big branch she has that's in her tank is pretty big, it actually goes from one side of the tank about 3/4 of the way across to the other side. To big? Should i remove that also? Do they need something to climb on?

thanks for all your help !
    Good on the temp gun. If they sell at a pet store, you will overpay. Get at home depot, lowes, or amazon.

A small fuzzy is too small, and please wait a little while before offering again. Again, https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...=feeding+chart, second post. Small mouse 12-17G is better.

Please get at a least another hide.

Ball pythons are terrestrial and although they can climb, do not climb often, or particularly well. If I had to choose between a branch and another hide, I would get a hide. If you can fit both, it's fine, if you like the branch.

Also, if you are picking up a frozen mouse, you should consider just ordering online, or getting in bulk from a reptile show etc. If online, https://bigcheeserodents.com, and https://perfectprey.com are both highly recommended here. I use Big Cheese, but have hard good things about perfect prey and they sell smaller quantity packs. You only have one snake.
    Last edited by dakski; 03-07-2018 at 08:27 PM.

Thanks

Unfortunately we don't have a reptile store close by. The nearest one is about 30 miles different direction that home.
    The only one i pass on my way home is a petsmart or a petco.

I will add thermostat to my list.

Hopefully petsmart has one since they are the ones who originally told him to never use an underground heater. The girl was supposedly an expert snake person since she herself has ball pythons at home...so she says.

So, you think she may be a Cypress? We've had several guesses on what she looks like. Most people just say she looks like a pretty colored normal. Someone else said she looked like a Normal colored Spotnose?
    Best bet for a thermostat is to ask on here, or read which ones are best from previous posts. I use Boaphile redundant thermostats, but those will be overkill like crazy for what you are doing (they support 10-20 devices on each one). Then buy from a reptile shop online or in person, but not petsmart, etc.

You will want one to run at least two devices - you lamp/CHE, and the UTH, depending how warm your room/house temp is and what the temps actually are with the temp gun. If you need more down the road, you might want to get one that runs more.

Hmmm, expert snake person? Could be, but it doesn't seem like she pointed you in the right direction cage or food wise. Also, UTH should never be used, WITHOUT REGULATION/A THERMOSTAT, so she was half right.

I understand feeling badly for the animal and getting it at petsmart, a lot of people do that, and it often works out okay. To many seasoned reptile keepers, it's not worth the risk, not knowing the lineage, and it just perpetuates big chains pushing reptiles and improperly caring for them. Believe me, they will just put another poor BP in there.

As you said, nothing to do now except give this little one a good home, which you are working on.

Thanks
    Hi! I stopped and got another hide and put it on the cool side.
    I purchased a thermostat and already plugged it in.
    It seems to be working as it has gone on and off several times.
    I also purchased a temp gun.

Seems to me (and this is just a guess) that it may have actually been to hot on the hot side and that's why she was going to the cold side all the time. I'm only thinking that because of how its going on and off right now where before it was a constant on. I could be wrong.

I also took the piece of slate rock out because it was really hot to the touch. The gun said it was 100!!

I will post pics tomorrow of the whole enclosure. Anything I missed?

Thank you all again!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybeka For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    I had a feeling that was the issue and so glad you took the advice and went to get stuff !!

no UTH??

point the temp gun at your heat lamp. Mine reads 120-130 sometimes.

They get soooo hot. Hence the need for therms and proper ways to test

my heat lamp is always on and off. My landlords must think I’m running a red light brothel!!

Thanks

OMG a brothel... Funny!

UTH is going to have to wait til the weekend. My son is going to build a stand for the enclosure
    Right now it's on the floor and I dont think a UTH would be good on the carpet.

Thanks

Hi! I stopped and got another hide and put it on the cool side.
    I purchased a thermostat and already plugged it in.
    It seems to be working as it has gone on and off several times.
    I also purchased a temp gun.

Seems to me (and this is just a guess) that it may have actually been to hot on the hot side and that's why she was going to the cold side all the time. I'm only thinking that because of how its going on and off right now where before it was a constant on. I could be wrong.

I also took the piece of slate rock out because it was really hot to the touch. The gun said it was 100!!

I will post pics tomorrow of the whole enclosure. Anything I missed?

Thank you all again!
    100f. Yeah, way too hot. Aim for 88-90f (90f tops) on the hot side.

How did you place the thermostat probe?

Good to get the temps down for safety as well as comfort.

You are doing well. Good work.

I would not put a UTH and tank on carpet.

Thanks
    it's set at 88.

He put the probe right next to her hide down low by the bedding.
    Although right now (its 7 pm here) she is out and on the cool side.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast