Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,412

1 members and 3,411 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: The New Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    You always build the best cages. Wish my critters didn't piss all over everything otherwise they might be able to enjoy the nicer things in life lol! Can't wait to see Wallace in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ain't that the truth. Caesar actually dropped a deuce square on the face of the Acurite gauge. I dont know how he got it out of the corner, laid flat down face up and aimed a deuce right on it but he did
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (03-02-2018),Gio (03-02-2018),jmcrook (03-02-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Great setup!!! Wallace will be living the good life for many years to come!! He's a lucky boy!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Looks good man but to nitpick, get rid of that PVC perch in the front!! Not sure if you knew or checked into it but look at natural bird perch sticks/logs. Bird shops and probably pet shops should have them and you can cut them to how you want them. A guy told me about those for GTPs to give a more natural look than using PVC. Pat is still small so the oak dowels work for him but i am definitely going to look into the real wood for perches when i get him his AP A20 this summer.

Otherwise, like i said, it looks pretty good. Wish i could give Caesar something cool like that but he would freakin find a way to poop on something, break/tear down something, or get stuck in something. I tried giving Dottie and Luna a nice little live plant to bump humidity and give them something pretty.....Dottie sat on her plant to death almost, thing was like a pancake the next morning and Luna dug up half the dirt in the pot and shoved it out of the pot. Luckily i had more soil so i was able to add soil back in and take that away from her lol.
    Hey, thanks for the kind words and the tip. That's not PVC it is actually oak. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I had a few little modifications left. What I do is wrap the dowels with vines and put foliage on them.

Here are examples from my other cages.

I like to mix REAL branches in and create my own artificial perches. What you are seeing in the new cage is an unfinished perch. Once I finish, it will blend in with the rest of the decor. The six foot span makes it a bit more of a challenge and I'll have to use more of everything to dress it up.

As far as being easily destroyed or messed with waste; I paid attention to the floor plan. As you can see in this photo below. The only thing on the floor is the water source, I will put at least one hide in there. Cleaning a perch is easy and I have 2 feet of ceiling space to be able to reach in and tend to any "issues". Wallace does show his SD characteristics as he doesn't produce an over abundance of waste. I must be lucky, no pushing, and a fairly predictable elimination cycle.

The perches are set in heavy duty, stainless steel closet dowel holders. I treated them with a coating to prevent rust. One perch (in the back) is a railroad tie sized piece wrapped in twine with foliage inserted into it. The other is an oak tree branch from a few summers back. The snake won't be able to move them so I'm not concerned about any possible destruction. My boa can't ruin his and pound for pound he's stronger and at this point heavier.

You can see in the boa cage above that there are 2 hides and a water source. That is not much more than most people keep on the floor.

If anybody is interested in dressing up their cage, a little thought out engineering will go a long way. It isn't an automatic recipe to annoying maintenance to have a little scenery if you want it. I spot clean my substrate and replace it as needed. I have things down to a fined tuned symphony here LOL!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-02-2018),DLena (03-02-2018),jmcrook (03-02-2018),Prognathodon (03-02-2018),Sauzo (03-03-2018),Starscream (03-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Nice, I use the oak dowels on Pat right now. I did have to change them out as first he needed bigger ones and second, the old ones started to mold. That is the one bad thing about the oak dowels, guys i have talked to have had them mold alot in high humidity cages. They have said the natural wood branches used for big bird cages like for parrots and macaws works awesome. Plus they arent perfectly straight so the snake has more 'grip' per say via knots and divets and the wavy shape of the branches.

But looks good like i said. Wish i could give Rosey and Caesar nice stuff. Vicky is the only one i could as she doesnt seem to bulldoze stuff like Caesar and Rosey do.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    That looks very nice. Can I ask, how will you go about cleaning the background? I have a Universal Rocks background that I am going to put into my next enclosure, but concerned about the monthly cleaning. Is that background Universal Rocks as well?
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles8088 For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-03-2018)

Thanks
    I use hot water and a tooth brush. It usually doesn’t need cleaning.
    Last edited by Gio; 03-03-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks
    He has taken to it like I expected.

From here out I'll post the updates on the Giant Python Forum however to close out the caging post here, I'll show off the finished product and Wallace inspecting it. Note the front perch is now finished off with vines and foliage.

The photo here doesn't give a good perspective of the actual size of this cage. It is really big.

Here is a shot of the room during "Night Ops". Its grainy and I'll take another shot at some point, but the room is how I want it now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (03-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Alright Gio, I'm gonna have to fly you to Atlanta to design my enclosures! Great job brother!
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

14. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-03-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Alright Gio, I'm gonna have to fly you to Atlanta to design my enclosures! Great job brother!
    I'm sure the temps are warmer.

In the event you move to the Virgin Islands, I'm available for that flight as well LOL!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Where did you get the colored led lights?
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast