Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,132

2 members and 3,130 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New home, new tank!

So I just moved to Arizona from South Carolina. I would like to start out by saying shipyourreptiles.com was so amazing in transporting my snake. I wasn’t able to bring her in the plane but I found a website that could safely ship my Ball Python. The best part was that it shipped overnight. She got to my new home before I did!! (Luckily I had my family there waiting for her to arrive, just in case). It was fast, efficient, and easy. The shipping cost was a bit high, but I was more than happy to pay knowing that my snake could get there safely and in one piece.
    Anyway!! I had to leave her entire setup in SC and was very disappointed to do so (especially with how expensive everything was!) but I gave it all to a friend who was adopting her own reptile. When I arrived in South Carolina, the very first thing I did was check on her to make sure everything was okay! She pooped and peed a bit from the stress of the travel, but what animal wouldn’t? So I gave her a quick bath to clean her up and get her back to a reasonable temperature, then I headed STRAIGHT to Petsmart. I didn’t even unpack!
    I got myself a kit for around $250: a 40 gallon tank with front facing doors and a styrofoam rock background, two heat lamps, two water/ food bowls (which I don’t use) and a carpet. I ended up also getting: two pieces of driftwood, a faux plant, one bonsai hide, one rock hide, one rock water dish, and a faux vine.
    So far, she has not stopped exploring. She is ALWAYS looking for new places to go! I’m a little surprised at how active she is but I’m definitely pleased that she more comfortable in her new environment. It makes me happy to know that she’s happy.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Autumn)

~tori~

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toriwixom For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (02-26-2018),Pengil (02-27-2018)

Thanks

Re: New home, new tank!

Hey, I'm in SC myself! I moved from San Diego, CA in 2016. Enjoying the humidity? Hehe.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

New home, new tank!

Wow ... that's a stunning set-up !!!

So nice to see when so many plump for those plastic tubs ...

As you've noticed when you give Royals something to climb over and around they will be pretty active in the evening.

Mine climb in the evenings and they've been in their setups for years so they are not simply exploring a new habitat ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 02-26-2018 at 08:42 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

toriwixom (02-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    The set up looks very nice and appealing to the eye. I don’t want to rain on your parade and I am so glad that the snake was shipped for you !

i literally just set up something similar barely a week ago so here are my pointers if you’d like. The background lasted maybe a few hrs for me as my new dude was hell bent on getting behind it and wedges on in it and stuck. I don’t know how the one you have works or wedges to the back but even when I thought I had it all protected, bam he was there again and I pulled it out.

You didn’t mention any under belly heating... did you grab a oad or something for under the tank ? Are those heat lamps on thermostats controlling the output.

As cool as as it is to see them roam all around. I quickly found out and was told the animal is stressed. The basic saying a hiding ball is a happy ball is true. Like the poster above said. Them moving at night is true and cool and yours will with all you have provided but during the day is because it has to adjust. I was like oh my man is different he’s active but no he was stressed and confused and it took him about two days to learn the lay of the land and settle. Now I never see him in the day but at night he’s his climbing self.

Good luck and and I hope yours settles soon !!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

toriwixom (02-26-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    The set up looks very nice and appealing to the eye. I don’t want to rain on your parade and I am so glad that the snake was shipped for you !

i literally just set up something similar barely a week ago so here are my pointers if you’d like. The background lasted maybe a few hrs for me as my new dude was hell bent on getting behind it and wedges on in it and stuck. I don’t know how the one you have works or wedges to the back but even when I thought I had it all protected, bam he was there again and I pulled it out.

You didn’t mention any under belly heating... did you grab a oad or something for under the tank ? Are those heat lamps on thermostats controlling the output.

As cool as as it is to see them roam all around. I quickly found out and was told the animal is stressed. The basic saying a hiding ball is a happy ball is true. Like the poster above said. Them moving at night is true and cool and yours will with all you have provided but during the day is because it has to adjust. I was like oh my man is different he’s active but no he was stressed and confused and it took him about two days to learn the lay of the land and settle. Now I never see him in the day but at night he’s his climbing self.

Yes, I have an under-tank heating pad that runs 24/7. I also have a 12/12 hour day and night lamp. She is only active at night and I very rarely see her during the day. I have the foam pretty tight in there and she hasn’t showed any interest in foam itself or getting behind it.
    0.0.1 Royal Python (Autumn)

~tori~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toriwixom View Post
    Yes, I have an under-tank heating pad that runs 24/7. I also have a 12/12 hour day and night lamp. She is only active at night and I very rarely see her during the day. I have the foam pretty tight in there and she hasn’t showed any interest in foam itself or getting behind it.
    That’s good! Mine was stressing me out and it was the first day and my first ball so I pulled the thing out. Sounds like yours is better made or a better fit than mine was!!

Are you using thermostats. I know that’s another thing that is a must so just making sure cause without regulation it can be scary !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

Thanks

To be fair Royals being nocturnal will , of course, hide away all day but if they're provided with branches , hiding places created by thoughtfully placed pieces of bark then Royals will happily spend some time each evening climbing and exploring ... it doesn't mean they are stressed

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-26-2018),Team Slytherin (02-26-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toriwixom View Post
    If she did ever manage to get behind it you could simply hot glue it tight to the back panel ..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    To be fair Royals being nocturnal will , of course, hide away all day but if they're provided with branches , hiding places created by thoughtfully placed pieces of bark then Royals will happily spend some time each evening climbing and exploring ... it doesn't mean they are stressed

Sorry maybe my response came off wrong. I totally agree. My guy does the same and climbs all night. I meant the exploration as soon as it was moved and the activity as it settles in.

My guy took two days to settle and was uneasy.

Now he’s hiding all day and at night he climbs all over.

1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (02-26-2018)

Thanks

Sorry maybe my response came off wrong. I totally agree. My guy does the same and climbs all night. I meant the exploration as soon as it was moved and the activity as it settles in.

My guy took two days to settle and was uneasy.

Now he’s hiding all day and at night he climbs all over.

No worries , lovely to hear how he is

I'm constantly in defence mode and it just gets my back up when I read people say that they just need a plastic tub with a hide and a bowl of water because they don't do anything but sleep in their hides....

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-26-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast