Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,357

0 members and 3,357 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

how to keep the right temp?

Hey guys,
    With the advice of some people here I put the thermostat probe on the heat mat and under the plastic tub, Yet inside the tub its can't reach the temp that the thermostat show..
    On the thermostat its saying 98 degrees but inside the tub only 77 at the hot side for all the snakes i've got.
    I really don't know what to do... people here advice me to put the probe outside the tub so I did but it can't reach the temp I want..

My setup-
    Got 4 snakes right now and every single one got his own equipment.
    Each snake got his own under tank heat mat, his thermostat, thermometer and I use plastic tubs.

Thanks

Re: how to keep the right temp?

What size heat mat are you using and what kind of thermostat.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Hi

Just ignore the reading on the thermostat it's only relevance is it's link with the ACTUAL surface temp in the viv / tank / rub .

I take an accurate reading of the inside surface temp under the warm hide ... and adjust the thermostat accordingly until I get the temp reading I need as I said at this stage the thermostat temp reading is irrelevant .

Plus what kind of thermometers are you using ?

Hopefully not one of these ..

These are much better at about 3 or 4 dollars off eBay ..they have the F ~C option

Also maybe consider treating yourself to a ten dollar digital heat gun off eBay / Amazon ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 02-21-2018 at 11:45 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

As regards your temps being too low ...there are a few ways to increase the heat - just google it . I've seen reports of people putting tinfoil UNDER the heatmat to reflect any LOST heat back UP into the Viv - if that makes sense .. I'm not 100% certain that's the best way but just something I've seen mentioned over the years .. As I said Google it for suggestions ..

Last edited by Zincubus; 02-21-2018 at 11:50 PM.

Thanks

Re: how to keep the right temp?

Quote Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    What size heat mat are you using and what kind of thermostat.
    - 1 month old ball python temporary at 6 gallon plastic tub with 7W heat mat from ebay- thermostat set to 98, inside only 73.
    - Almost year old Dumirilli Boa at 10 gallon plastic tub with 20W heat mat (Not small for her, she almost doesn't eat.. once in 2-3 month.. trying to figure out why till now)- thermostat set to 88, inside 82 (the most accurate one).
    - Half year ball python temporary at 10 gallon plastic tub with 20W heat mat- thermostat set 93, inside 80.
    - 1 year corn snake temporary at 10 gallon with 14W heat mat - thermostat set 87, inside 75.
    Thermostat I bought from ebay, [IMG][/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Hi

Just ignore the reading on the thermostat it's only relevance is it's link with the ACTUAL surface temp in the viv / tank / rub .

I take an accurate reading of the inside surface temp under the warm hide ... and adjust the thermostat accordingly until I get the temp reading I need as I said at this stage the thermostat temp reading is irrelevant .

Plus what kind of thermometers are you using ?

Hopefully not one of these ..

These are much better at about 3 or 4 dollars off eBay ..they have the F ~C option
    Also maybe consider treating yourself to a ten dollar digital heat gun off eBay / Amazon ..

I do ignore the thermostat reading and use heat gun like you uploaded.
    Thats my thermostat from ebay-
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    As regards your temps being too low ...there are a few ways to increase the heat - just google it . I've seen reports of people putting tinfoil UNDER the heatmat to reflect any LOST heat back UP into the Viv - if that makes sense .. I'm not 100% certain that's the best way but just something I've seen mentioned over the years .. As I said Google it for suggestions ..

I'll try, thanks.
    Last edited by doronxl7; 02-22-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    One thing that's important to understand is that your UTH is there solely to provide a hot spot to aid in digestion and not for ambient temps.

If the room ambient temps don't remain high enough you will need an additional heat source.

Since you have different species you will run into different situations with each species as to whether or not room ambient temps are sufficient or not.

I highly recommend reading through some basic husbandry 101 stickies on this forum as well as study some careseheets for each individual species you keep. Until you're providing proper husbandry you're going to have feeding issues. etc...