Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
Hey daksi. Good memory, I am the discus guy lol!

notning has been down to 73 thankfully. Not sure if I said that if I did it was a typo. It was around 75 a bit but that was only day 1-2 and I adjusted things and it’s been a solid 77-79 ambient and cool side with my hot spot 90.

He was due for a feed the day he shipped so that was skipped and he was a solid weekly feeder for the breeder. So I’m worried about making him wait two weeks and really taking him off feed.

Are you suggesting waititng until he’s out of the hide and active to then try and simulate life by wiggling the rat and getting him to strike ?
Okay, cool, I misread, a typo, or you have since corrected. Sounds like temps are dead on. Awesome!

I had the flu, followed by a 2 week cough, and then got a stomach bug this weekend(and still have the cough). I am not 100%, sorry.

For what's it worth, if you kept discus successfully, reptiles are going to seem easy! You are going to do great!

Regarding feeding, I will post in a second, something a wrote from another thread, about defrosting properly.

Most BP's want their heat pits to get excited (so warm prey - I'll explain in the next post) and want a little movement.

My Shayna is a weirdo. She only strikes, 1/15 times. More when she was younger, but still, she's very shy. She wants me to shake, and if she doesn't strike immediately, I put down and walk away. She, if not fasting, usually eats right away. She will pull into her hide and want to eat alone. I give her space.

Most BP's, especially if they have eaten live, want some action. Not to the point of scaring them/hitting them in the head, etc. Just a little movement. USE TONGS!

I think your guy should eat. If not though, do not worry, and wait until next week.

If he doesn't take right away, but seems interested, I would leave the mouse near his hide/him for a little bit (an hour or two) and he might take it. I would also feed at night in near darkness. You will probably get a better food response.