Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 749

12 members and 737 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 71,327
Threads: 245,378
Posts: 2,543,676
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Chipper
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 88
  1. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-06-2018
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 44 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: Finally - 5 years late: An introduction to Cleo, Carra, and Kayla

    Very possible a Leo will slow down it's eating during Winter months....and maybe even go off food completely in the spring (March - June)....but they should regain their appetite and go back to voracious little buggers when temps warm.

    One of my girls never goes off food....my other slows down in the Winter, and then does a feeding strike in the spring. In fact, last year she took 13 weeks off, ate 1 meal worm, and took another 2 weeks off before her feeding response kicked back in. She's done that before so I wasn't worried, but never for that long.

    The mouth scab thing is concerning though, and the fact that your other LG passed away at an early age (8 is pretty young for a LG) could also be a factor. I'm also wondering if removing the scab is the right thing to do? if it's really a scab, maybe let it heal completely and fall off of it's own...removing it may cause it to scab over again???? I never heard of a LG shedding the skin on the roof of it's mouth.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Andiamo For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (02-15-2021)

  3. #52
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-07-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,229
    Thanks
    6,820
    Thanked 8,009 Times in 3,334 Posts
    Images: 134

    Re: Finally - 5 years late: An introduction to Cleo, Carra, and Kayla

    Quote Originally Posted by Andiamo View Post
    Very possible a Leo will slow down it's eating during Winter months....and maybe even go off food completely in the spring (March - June)....but they should regain their appetite and go back to voracious little buggers when temps warm.

    One of my girls never goes off food....my other slows down in the Winter, and then does a feeding strike in the spring. In fact, last year she took 13 weeks off, ate 1 meal worm, and took another 2 weeks off before her feeding response kicked back in. She's done that before so I wasn't worried, but never for that long.

    The mouth scab thing is concerning though, and the fact that your other LG passed away at an early age (8 is pretty young for a LG) could also be a factor. I'm also wondering if removing the scab is the right thing to do? if it's really a scab, maybe let it heal completely and fall off of it's own...removing it may cause it to scab over again???? I never heard of a LG shedding the skin on the roof of it's mouth.
    Andiamo,

    Thank you for your response.

    First off, I am very familiar with LG's going off feed. It's Cleo's interest, but having difficulty, that is troubling me.

    Secondly, I said it seemed to occur after sheds, but that might be a coincidence, rather than having anything to do with the shedding. I am aware LG's do not shed in their mouths.

    Third, they all came from the same breeder, are about the same age (within a month), all have the same setups (temps, humidity, etc. as well as tank size, decor, substrate), eat the same food and from the same sources, etc. I also have two other lizards (a BTS and a Chewie) who also eat live food/insects from the same suppliers and get the same supplements (in different frequencies however).

    I was not able to do a necropsy on Kayla, who passed suddenly last year, but she was seemingly fine and then I found her one morning dead in her tank. She showed no noticeable signs of illness.

    Having said all that, and not being defensive here, what do you think I am doing wrong? Female LG's tend to live much shorter lives than males, and although 8 is young, it's not unheard of.

    Additionally, Cleo sees the vet next Monday. I spoke to the tech and apparently, and especially as they age, this can be a common issue and could indeed be mouth rot. She said even her LG had this. They want me to bring her in to culture and examine to determine the best treatment for her. I am fine with that. Better to take care of whatever it is with the best course of action first.

    I'll keep everyone posted.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (02-15-2021)

  5. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-06-2018
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 44 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: Finally - 5 years late: An introduction to Cleo, Carra, and Kayla

    your guess would really be as good as mine. I also have 2 girls, who are roughly the same age (7+ years old)...but they've never been paired with a male and never laid any clutches. I could be naive, but I'm hoping they get well into their teens.

    There is a user named Aliza from a forum I used to visit.... who has her own blog (Gecko Time). She's a great resource.

    The Forum is Geckos Unlimited, but I think you have to be REALLY careful who you listen to over there, which is why I think Aliza's blog may be a better place to start.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andiamo For This Useful Post:

    dakski (02-15-2021),nikkubus (02-15-2021)

  7. #54
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-07-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,229
    Thanks
    6,820
    Thanked 8,009 Times in 3,334 Posts
    Images: 134

    Re: Finally - 5 years late: An introduction to Cleo, Carra, and Kayla

    Quote Originally Posted by Andiamo View Post
    your guess would really be as good as mine. I also have 2 girls, who are roughly the same age (7+ years old)...but they've never been paired with a male and never laid any clutches. I could be naive, but I'm hoping they get well into their teens.

    There is a user named Aliza from a forum I used to visit.... who has her own blog (Gecko Time). She's a great resource.

    The Forum is Geckos Unlimited, but I think you have to be REALLY careful who you listen to over there, which is why I think Aliza's blog may be a better place to start.
    Thank you!

    I wonder if genetics have something to do with longevity? Just thinking out loud. Iíve heard in some animals that breeding for looks can have an impact on health.

    In the meantime, I will definitely let everyone know what the vet says.

    Hoping for a long life for your girls. Same for Cleo and Carra. Really hoping Kayla was a freak thing/anomaly.

  8. #55
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-07-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,229
    Thanks
    6,820
    Thanked 8,009 Times in 3,334 Posts
    Images: 134

    Re: Finally - 5 years late: An introduction to Cleo, Carra, and Kayla

    I took Cleo to the vet today.

    Overall, the vet says she is good health. She thinks that she had a mouth irritation that has now turned into mild mouth rot. She prescribed Metacam for three days (taken orally) and Chlorhexidine Oral Solution to be applied for 3 days and then 1-2X a week after to her mouth area.

    She does not think the infection is systemic at all and said she thinks some of Cleo's hunting issues have more to do with age (lower energy and or arthritis etc) and reduced eyesight. She considers her a "senior" at this point. She said to expect 8-12 years out of a female Leopard Gecko and said that genetics and breeding can play a part in that. Being a morph may not help her in this regard.

    I plan to "brush" Cleo's mouth with the oral solution and q-tip 2X a week after the initial treatment this week.

    The vet recommended the low dose and short duration of Metacam because it can impact her kidney function. She did not draw blood as she said with LG's they often drop the tail when doing this and that does more harm than good. She felt that a 3 day dose would not harm her and would be beneficial, but was reluctant to prescribe more at her age especially since she believes the infection is limited to her mouth.

    Further, she sent the scab she got out of Cleo's mouth out for Cytology, but did not take any tissue as there really wasn't anyway to do that given how mild the infection is. There are no puss pockets, or open infections, to draw from.

    Cleo seems no worse for the wear, and I am letting her rest for a bit before applying the oral solution this evening.

    I'll keep everyone posted, but assume no news is good news.

    Thank you all for your concern and for encouraging me to take her in. I am glad I did.

  9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    Andiamo (02-23-2021),Bogertophis (02-22-2021),Hugsplox (02-23-2021),jmcrook (02-22-2021),nikkubus (02-22-2021)

  10. #56
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,036
    Thanks
    20,969
    Thanked 13,063 Times in 8,181 Posts
    I'm so happy you got her checked out & so much good information gained- sure sounds like there's a good prognosis too. I wish I could clone your vet & move one of them to my area.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    dakski (02-22-2021)

  12. #57
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-07-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,229
    Thanks
    6,820
    Thanked 8,009 Times in 3,334 Posts
    Images: 134

    Re: Finally - 5 years late: An introduction to Cleo, Carra, and Kayla

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm so happy you got her checked out & so much good information gained- sure sounds like there's a good prognosis too. I wish I could clone your vet & move one of them to my area.
    Thanks Bogertophis! Very happy about diagnosis and prognosis.

    Yeah, I have two good vets "near" me. Well, they are both about 1 1/2 hours away, but both excellent.

    This vet is in Westchester NY and is amazing. In a pinch and emergencies, I also have Tufts Vet Clinic "near" me - well about the same distance away.

    I trust them both, but know the Westchester Vet better and know the Owner/Vet as well as the other vets there really well. It's easier to work with the same vet(s) each time. Of course, before they even talked about Cleo, they wanted to know how Behira's shedding was going. They were glad to hear that she's growing and that her sheds are getting farther and farther apart.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-22-2021 at 04:26 PM.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (02-22-2021)

  14. #58
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,036
    Thanks
    20,969
    Thanked 13,063 Times in 8,181 Posts

    Re: Finally - 5 years late: An introduction to Cleo, Carra, and Kayla

    Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Thanks Bogertophis! Very happy about diagnosis and prognosis.

    Yeah, I have two good vets "near" me. Well, they are both about 1 1/2 hours away, but both excellent.

    This vet is in Westchester NY and is amazing. In a pinch and emergencies, I also have Tufts Vet Clinic "near" me - well about the same distance away.

    I trust them both, but know the Westchester Vet better and know the Owner/Vet as well as the other vets there really well. It's easier to work with the same vet(s) each time. Of course, before they even talked about Cleo, they wanted to know how Behira's shedding was going. They were glad to hear that she's growing and that her sheds are getting farther and farther apart.
    There's a LOT to be said for living near larger population areas when it comes to medical care, whether for our pets or for us. I love that they're not heavy-handed with their vet care- from what I've seen, far too many exotic vets can lean that way, but I'm sure they've all learned more by now too- that would make sense. Medicine is a "practice" & requires lots of practice to be the best.

    Between your excellent vet & your good care at home, your little patient wouldn't dare not heal, lol.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    dakski (02-22-2021)

  16. #59
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-07-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,229
    Thanks
    6,820
    Thanked 8,009 Times in 3,334 Posts
    Images: 134

    Re: Finally - 5 years late: An introduction to Cleo, Carra, and Kayla

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    There's a LOT to be said for living near larger population areas when it comes to medical care, whether for our pets or for us. I love that they're not heavy-handed with their vet care- from what I've seen, far too many exotic vets can lean that way, but I'm sure they've all learned more by now too- that would make sense. Medicine is a "practice" & requires lots of practice to be the best.

    Between your excellent vet & your good care at home, your little patient wouldn't dare not heal, lol.

    Awwwww, thanks Boger!

    I do my best, but greatly appreciate the comment.

    I am going to brush her teeth in a few. I'll report if it's terrible, otherwise, I think we are both going to get used to it. Also, Katie said she will help! So that's awesome as well.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (02-22-2021)

  18. #60
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-07-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,229
    Thanks
    6,820
    Thanked 8,009 Times in 3,334 Posts
    Images: 134

    Re: Finally - 5 years late: An introduction to Cleo, Carra, and Kayla

    I held and Katie "brushed"/q-tipped Cleo's mouth. There was a little residual blood from the scab coming off, but that's why we are applying the oral solution - hoping it heals well this time and in the long-run prevents or lessens it coming back.

    Cleo wasn't happy being restrained or having her teeth brushed. I restrained her and I used 1 Q-Tip to hold her mouth open (the long handle part) and then Katie rubbed the solution around her mouth and teeth/gums with the soft end of a q-tip.

    She didn't hold a grudge though. Cleo likes having her head rubbed and immediately after her "treatment," was sitting in my hand and letting me rub her head.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (02-22-2021)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1