Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,327

2 members and 3,325 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Re: Your thoughts on Dwarf and SD retics?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    When I think if a morph that is capable of that concerning mainland retics, I think of the Tiger gene for sure....look up "Fluffy" from Bob Clark if you havent already.
    This video made me re-think things.? Lol
    a giant female tiger retic:

I would have to be rich enough to dedicate a whole room to such a beast.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 02-15-2018 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    All animals have their own personalities. I jumped right from corns to my SD. Retics are smart and will easily pick up on your habits (good and bad) and are very food motivated. A full size one might be cheaper to start out with but in the long run will be more a more expensive commitment to house and feed.

On top of my SD I also help someone once a week with their snakes. One of the snakes is a super tiger probably in the 8' range right now and about a year old. This past week I had to deal with a stuck eye cap. I had no problem handling the snake alone. As gio said a lean snake under 10' isn't really all that big.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    This video made me re-think things.? Lol
    a giant female tiger retic:

I would have to be rich enough to dedicate a whole room to such a beast.
    I have seen that video in the past and its the reason why I dont say anything when people say "Burms are heavier-bodied than Retics"....in general that statement is true, especially when youre talking about dwarf line retics, but mainland retics can get ENORMOUS.

I would still argue that a properly (not overly) fed male Burm is handleable by an able-bodied, strong person alone. Female? Thats pushing it.

I had a 9ft BCC female years ago that weighed 85lbs and I had no problems with her alone, a male Burm isnt very far from that.
    Last edited by KevinK; 02-15-2018 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    That 8.5 year old female tiger retic they could only estimate was 175-200 pounds! Definitely in the 18+foot long category.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    If you think that snake is big take a look at this video. It will make you think twice before getting a full blooded Mainland retic. It's one of the reasons I've decided to stick with Dwarf and Super Dwarf retics, my 50% dwarf may get as big as 100 pounds at the end of her life but no where near the size of this beast.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    If you think that snake is big take a look at this video. It will make you think twice before getting a full blooded Mainland retic. It's one of the reasons I've decided to stick with Dwarf and Super Dwarf retics, my 50% dwarf may get as big as 100 pounds at the end of her life but no where near the size of this beast.

I'll stick with my female BCI! That's going to be enough snake for me when she's full grown!

Thank you for this thread though, very interesting.

Thanks

Hey! So I got this notification on my phone and thought I might as well elaborate on my experiences as I own a SUPER TINY super dwarf retic (picture below for seeing super tiny).

So, first things first, I have an adult corn, a juvenile Russian rat snake, and then I went on to a snake exposition and met two cool dudes from the UK, their company was named Ridgeway Exotics.
    The reason I met them is because of all the snakes I saw (or should I say ball pythons, that was 90% of the show) I found the ONLY orange and purple snake. What!? I have never seen that before!
    I started gathering information. She was a super dwarf they said, and I was skeptical about it. So he showed me pictures of the mother and wow was she tiny, I couldn't believe to be so lucky! They actually let me hold her for a bit because I was so curious how a reticulated python would behave.

She was sweet, a true sight to behold. I wasn't planning on getting a snake at all.. But this, I imagined, when was I ever going to see such a beauty like her again? I'll tell you, never, all the shows I went to after I haven't found a single one!

So I pondered and took a walk, actually hoping someone else would take her before I could because I was nervous as hell about their behaviour as some point in the future, I've seen some nasty videos..

My girlfriend convinced me to get her, so I walked back, got her, got all the required things at that show too, and I couldn't be happier I tell you! How I love this snake!

So, her behaviour.. She had a time where she was pissed off at everything. Striked the glass continously as someone walked by. I went on a forum to see how I could correct this and they advised tap training her. I've been doing so for half a year now and it's working out great. She calmed down because the hook tells her what's going to happen, very intelligent snakes I tell you!
    She's super chill now and even my mother of 64 will hold her!

So now about her size right? I have high expectations that she's going to stay really, really small. She's almost a year old now and she's still really tiny, and I mean really tiny. She's about 60cm, or 2 feet. I've seen year old 81.5% super dwarfs that are bigger than my adult corn snake.... Her diet exists out of a fuzzy rat right now, every 1.5 to 2 weeks. (and that leaves a HUGE bulge! Sometimes I think she might burst but snakes can stretch so far!) I want to keep her small, as I'm not looking forward to feeding rabbits .

I thought about this and discussed about it as well, in the wild they don't find food for maybe weeks, snakes can go on for a really long time without feeding and they survive. Snakes will manage a lot!
    Above all she's super healthy, all over the place (I put a wooden perch against the glass so she can climb, and sometimes actually sits like a morelia viridis lol) and just very well behaved. I can read her very well I'd like to think.

So that's about it. A lot more text than I imagined I would write but I hope this was helpful to see a sort of new owner talk about these kind of snakes.

I'll post a few pictures now, of her pattern, her size, and just some nice ones. (hope it's not too huge of size, I'm posting from my phone lol)

Meet Juno, the 75% super dwarf retic purple morph het for snow!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xShevi For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (02-16-2018),BR8080 (02-16-2018),Godzilla78 (02-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xShevi View Post
    Hey! So I got this notification on my phone and thought I might as well elaborate on my experiences as I own a SUPER TINY super dwarf retic (picture below for seeing super tiny).

So, first things first, I have an adult corn, a juvenile Russian rat snake, and then I went on to a snake exposition and met two cool dudes from the UK, their company was named Ridgeway Exotics.
    The reason I met them is because of all the snakes I saw (or should I say ball pythons, that was 90% of the show) I found the ONLY orange and purple snake. What!? I have never seen that before!
    I started gathering information. She was a super dwarf they said, and I was skeptical about it. So he showed me pictures of the mother and wow was she tiny, I couldn't believe to be so lucky! They actually let me hold her for a bit because I was so curious how a reticulated python would behave.

She was sweet, a true sight to behold. I wasn't planning on getting a snake at all.. But this, I imagined, when was I ever going to see such a beauty like her again? I'll tell you, never, all the shows I went to after I haven't found a single one!

So I pondered and took a walk, actually hoping someone else would take her before I could because I was nervous as hell about their behaviour as some point in the future, I've seen some nasty videos..

My girlfriend convinced me to get her, so I walked back, got her, got all the required things at that show too, and I couldn't be happier I tell you! How I love this snake!

So, her behaviour.. She had a time where she was pissed off at everything. Striked the glass continously as someone walked by. I went on a forum to see how I could correct this and they advised tap training her. I've been doing so for half a year now and it's working out great. She calmed down because the hook tells her what's going to happen, very intelligent snakes I tell you!
    She's super chill now and even my mother of 64 will hold her!

So now about her size right? I have high expectations that she's going to stay really, really small. She's almost a year old now and she's still really tiny, and I mean really tiny. She's about 60cm, or 2 feet. I've seen year old 81.5% super dwarfs that are bigger than my adult corn snake.... Her diet exists out of a fuzzy rat right now, every 1.5 to 2 weeks. (and that leaves a HUGE bulge! Sometimes I think she might burst but snakes can stretch so far!) I want to keep her small, as I'm not looking forward to feeding rabbits .

I thought about this and discussed about it as well, in the wild they don't find food for maybe weeks, snakes can go on for a really long time without feeding and they survive. Snakes will manage a lot!
    Above all she's super healthy, all over the place (I put a wooden perch against the glass so she can climb, and sometimes actually sits like a morelia viridis lol) and just very well behaved. I can read her very well I'd like to think.

So that's about it. A lot more text than I imagined I would write but I hope this was helpful to see a sort of new owner talk about these kind of snakes.

I'll post a few pictures now, of her pattern, her size, and just some nice ones. (hope it's not too huge of size, I'm posting from my phone lol)

Meet Juno, the 75% super dwarf retic purple morph het for snow!
    Yours looks very similar to my SD Purple Albino Retic ... mine's nearly three years old I'd say and only around 3' long - perfect health ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Yours looks very similar to my SD Purple Albino Retic ... mine's nearly three years old I'd say and only around 3' long - perfect health ..

That gives a lot of good hope. Quite exceptional I must say, having a 3' retic right? Haha! We'll see what the future brings, I don't mind a huge snake, but python baby heads just look so great, as they get bigger their heads expand and they look like Tyrannosaurus Rex heads as their eyes stay the same size of course! Lol!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xShevi View Post
    That gives a lot of good hope. Quite exceptional I must say, having a 3' retic right? Haha! We'll see what the future brings, I don't mind a huge snake, but python baby heads just look so great, as they get bigger their heads expand and they look like Tyrannosaurus Rex heads as their eyes stay the same size of course! Lol!
    Guess it could be 3'6 , maybe 3' 9" but very slender and manageable...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast