Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,196

0 members and 3,196 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ri

Thanks

Ri

Taking my ball to the vet today at 220....i have to say it is all my fault! I feel awful and am affraid i am going to lose him. If he were to survive, when would i notice a difference after vet? Unfortunately i tried the vicks and eucalyptus for two days before this apt and it was probably already too late for that. He is wheezing, bubbles in mouth and generally not acting right. I moved my cage set ups to downstairs. I have one ap t8 cage and another flimsy cage i purchased with this snake at a snake show last year. The ap temps are fine but his was too cold....i should have known when he didnt shed correctly that husbandry was off....but i ignored it... this is the first time in 4 years that i have had any issues like this.....

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    If it is bacterial then you will see improvement half way to the end of the course of treatment your vet gives you. Hopefully your vet is caring enough to request a culture from the RI to determine the type of infection.

You are doing the right thing by taking it to the vet. So many people only try home remedies not suitable for reptiles instead of taking them to the vet like they should.

Let the vet determine the course of action and follow it TO THE LETTER. Make sure you keep the snake on paper towels and minimal clutter during treatment. A water bowl and two hides. Keep heat up slightly higher than normal (hot side 90-92, cool side 80ish) to give your snake's immune system a boost. Clean the cage every time before treatment and disinfect it with approved cleaner (not bleach or lysol). The vet can recommend what to clean with.

You most likely will have 3-5 injections you need to give. I would avoid feeding for the first 2-3 treatments to prevent stressing out the snake. Once you see signs of improvement, you can slowly start feeding again.

Regardless of what I just advised you, your vet is the best source of information and treatment.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

FracksSake (02-17-2018)

Thanks
    I recently had a Ball Python with an RI and I gave her two 10 minute Eucalyptus Oil/Vicks vapor chamber treatments to help ease her symptoms until I could get her to the vet and I also bumped her temperatures up a couple degrees. She stopped wheezing immediately after the first treatment and stopped gaping after the second treatment. When I took her to the vet a couple days after the second vapor treatment she did still have bubbles in her throat, so the vet prescribed 7 rounds of vitamin/Gentocin injections. I just finished giving her the last shot and she seems to be fine other than she needs to start eating again and putting some weight back on...

Many here at the forum advised against the Eucalyptus oil/Vicks treatments and some even made jokes about it, but it definitely took the symptoms away and the snake is fine. So, there is something to be said for that... I am getting a Repti-fogger and F10 to have on hand for treating RIs in the future, though...

Thanks

Re: Ri

Thanks guys. They did the examination, nebulizer treatment and did culture. Prescribed ceftraidime injections. He is a good weight 776 g and still strong and moving so she was optimistic but we arent out of the woods yet. Keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks

Another question....she showed me a little mass on the roof of his mouth and said it was stomatitis...she scraped off some yellow gunk from his mouth...looking that up i am coming up with mouth rot....she didnt tell me to do anything with his mouth...should i call them tomorrow and ask if i should be doing something with that? Here is my poor guy....like i said i feel awful about this.

Thanks

Our snake passed away today.......i have since scrubbed each cage with water and f10 and let them air dry....the culture came back fungal.....lesson learned unfortunately....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I'm so so sorry!
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrandyL1193 View Post
    Our snake passed away today.......i have since scrubbed each cage with water and f10 and let them air dry....the culture came back fungal.....lesson learned unfortunately....

What happened? He was on injections and was strong 8 days ago??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

BrandyL1193 (02-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    What happened? He was on injections and was strong 8 days ago??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have no idea... his mouth was looking worse and still having trouble breathing....he had a total of 4 abx injections. I woke up this morning and he was gone.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

That's so sad to learn ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast