Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,291

2 members and 3,289 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes it's true sometimes they will just fail to thrive, and never eat on their own but it's rare. Obviously there is no quality of life for an animal that would not feed on it's own.

The longest I have assisted was 6 months, that animal became a very aggressive feeder once she figured it out.

I am curious what have you been trying and how are those animals setup?
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Kindred526 (02-16-2018),Sunnieskys (02-14-2018)

Thanks
    I had one go a bit longer, closer to 9 months but once she got it she loves to eat. I would guess most give up before that and let nature take its course. It is up to your personal judgment how long to help. Sometimes, there is an obvious deformity and no amount of help will cure. However, sometimes those silly critters just take time to get it. You choose what you are willing to do.
    Nothing

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    I had a BRB baby that I assist fed for ten months. He absorbed very little yolk due to a twisted umbilical cord, and was way undersized compared to his littermates.

Three years later, he'd eat my fingers if I let him.

Thanks
    Thank you all so much for your stories! I feel much better about their health and more positive that they will figure it out and become the happy gluttons that I want them to be. And I would never "let nature run its course". I would assist them forever if i needed. They are my scale babies and i love them!

To expand on the question of what we have tried - mice and rats (live), recently tried a frozen rat just to try something new but zero interest has been shown. We have tried leaving the baby rodents in the tub with them overnight and they just end up cuddling (I would never do this with anything larger, i am aware of the danger rats can be to snakes!). The baby balls are in a rack and not loved on (though it pains me). Each week I hope this is the week that they will figure it out! i hope that day comes soon!

Thank you all again!

Thanks

Re: What is the longest amount of time that a baby ball python could need assist feed

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Assist feeding should be an absolute last resort. It should only be done when absolutely all options have run dry. First and foremost, husbandry should be spot on. Second, all feeding methods and prey types should be tried. Lastly, live prey should be offered. Assist feeding should only occur when/if all other options have been exhausted and the animal is losing weight and is at the point where their health is a concern.
    I agree completely! Unfortunately, my girls were becoming underweight despite our efforts to solve the problem through husbandry. Could I ask you to expand on what you meant by feeding methods? do you mean leaving the prey in the tub, verse dangling with tongs?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: What is the longest amount of time that a baby ball python could need assist feed

Quote Originally Posted by Kindred526 View Post
    I agree completely! Unfortunately, my girls were becoming underweight despite our efforts to solve the problem through husbandry. Could I ask you to expand on what you meant by feeding methods? do you mean leaving the prey in the tub, verse dangling with tongs?
    What I meant by different feeding methods was: different prey items of suitable sizes (mice and rats), offering different times of day, offering on tongs vs leaving the prey, different defrosting methods if trying F/T, trying F/T Or pre-killed or live, braining, etc...
    As long as husbandry is solid and all other methods have been exhausted and the animal is unable to maintain a healthy weight then assisting is all you can do...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12