Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,351

4 members and 3,347 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Emotional Support Snake?

Hello! I was reading an article someone posted on this forum about a student flushing her ESA hamster (which is horrible ), and it made me realize that ESA's don't need to be dogs/cats. I have horrible anxiety, and some other stuff I won't really get into, and I've been very stressed out for these last couple years. I feel the most comfortable in my room with my animals. There's something about them that just calms me down 100%. So, I was looking into getting an ESA. I read the website's article about snakes, and I thought about my Geno. I love him more than anything I am thinking about registering him as my Emotional Support Animal. I know I can't bring him into public places such as restaurants/school/stores etc. that's not what I'm getting at. I wouldn't want to anyway. And I don't mean this to draw attention to Geno or myself in any way, shape, or form. Do you think it's okay to do? I don't even know if I'd qualify, but I'd really like to. Geno is a 2-year-old male pastel ball python. He's very very tame and has never had any behavior issues. Thank you!

https://www.emotionalsupportanimalco...support-snake/

(Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place)
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

Thanks

Re: Emotional Support Snake?

So if you aren't planning to bring him around with you, how would he be any different than a pet? What exactly are you trying to do with him?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-13-2018)

Thanks

The ESA letter approving your pet will allow us to get through "No pets allowed" in houses/dorms, allows him to travel free on planes, and some other things. Basically making it to where you and them will never be seperated
    (At least thats how I understood it)

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GpBp; 02-13-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    hi GpBp,

from what i understand, u are young and a minor still. u should check in w/ your parents before registering any of your animals as an ESA esp. a snake.

we have several threads on the forum discussing ESA's in different settings; give them a read:
    home - https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...rrel-and-Condo
    workplace - https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...support-animal
    airplanes - https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...nd-her-Peacock

it is easy to register your animal as an ESA but still very difficult to deal with in real life. is it worth it to u or your animal? as an owner of many snakes, many BP's i know they do not do well away from their heat source and hides. they are stressed. do u wanna do that to your snake? it doesn't seem like a very nice thing to do to put your pet in that situation.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

L.West (02-13-2018),MissterDog (02-13-2018)

Thanks
    Be aware that the only way to get an animal registered as an ESA is to go to a doctor or therapist. There are lots of scam websites where you pay them to send you a certificate but those are not legit. Your letter needs to come directly from a professional that is seeing you.
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-13-2018),Craiga 01453 (02-14-2018),MissterDog (02-13-2018),redshepherd (02-13-2018),tttaylorrr (02-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Please tell me you're not serious about wanting to have Geno travel with you on a plane. Unless you are moving to a new permanent place to live (and even then I hope you're not imagining him curled up on your lap on the plane) I can't see any reason to justify bringing a snake on a who-knows-how-long flight and stressing him out with potential frequent travelling.

It's a nice idea to have Geno be an ESA but you need to think about what's best for Geno and not what you want him to do for you. Honestly everyone else already brought up some fine points and the sites/articles you've read are for sure not legit. Anything that claims you can register an ESA pet is a scam and won't hold up to anything.

As Kira pointed out you need an ESA note from a therapist that has had multiple sessions with you so they can evaluate and be familiar with your issues to see if an ESA is necessary. It's definitely not something you can drop in going "hi can I have an ESA letter for my snake? Thank you and bye!"

I think this idea is more selfish than it is practical and better not pursued. Just food for thought
    Last edited by MissterDog; 02-13-2018 at 03:24 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Kira (02-13-2018),L.West (02-13-2018),redshepherd (02-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    hi GpBp,

from what i understand, u are young and a minor still. u should check in w/ your parents before registering any of your animals as an ESA esp. a snake.

we have several threads on the forum discussing ESA's in different settings; give them a read:
    home - https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...rrel-and-Condo
    workplace - https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...support-animal
    airplanes - https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...nd-her-Peacock

it is easy to register your animal as an ESA but still very difficult to deal with in real life. is it worth it to u or your animal? as an owner of many snakes, many BP's i know they do not do well away from their heat source and hides. they are stressed. do u wanna do that to your snake? it doesn't seem like a very nice thing to do to put your pet in that situation.
    Thank you. Yes, I am young. I've got my parent's permission, and my mom thinks it would potentially help me (I wasn't about to take an application and "register" him without her saying yes)

Those links are very helpful, I've read them. I guess I didn't really state this but I think the main reason I want to do this is so I'm able to keep Geno with me. I know (hope) this guy will be around by the time I'm in college, I don't think I could live w/o him! I'm not wanting to take him with me everywhere (as in inside/in public places etc.) I go, just something that says we should be together. So, he'd be in his tank with his heat and hides every day.
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kira View Post
    Be aware that the only way to get an animal registered as an ESA is to go to a doctor or therapist. There are lots of scam websites where you pay them to send you a certificate but those are not legit. Your letter needs to come directly from a professional that is seeing you.
    Thank you for mentioning! I thought I could just follow the process on Emotional Support Animal Co's website (https://www.emotionalsupportanimalco.com/) but is it not safe? Their process is:

1. Fill out our questionnaire
    2. Select your service "We offer different therapy services to you whether you need one for travel or housing situations."
    3. Connect with a licensed therapist "A Licensed Therapist will speak with you about your options of owning a therapy pet."
    4. Recieve your confirmation

They also say "Here at EmotionalSupportAnimalCo.com, if you do not meet the need for an ESA after therapist review, you will receive a full refund."
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GpBp View Post
    I think the main reason I want to do this is so I'm able to keep Geno with me. I know (hope) this guy will be around by the time I'm in college, I don't think I could live w/o him!
    I'm sorry but (IMO) that is an abuse of the ESA system (so you can 'legally' have him live with you in places that do not allow exotic pets; regardless if you have anxiety or not).
    Not trying to offend you.
    For the Horde!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-14-2018),L.West (02-13-2018),MissterDog (02-13-2018),PitOnTheProwl (02-14-2018),Sonny1318 (02-13-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (02-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GpBp View Post
    Thank you for mentioning! I thought I could just follow the process on Emotional Support Animal Co's website (https://www.emotionalsupportanimalco.com/) but is it not safe? Their process is:

1. Fill out our questionnaire
    2. Select your service "We offer different therapy services to you whether you need one for travel or housing situations."
    3. Connect with a licensed therapist "A Licensed Therapist will speak with you about your options of owning a therapy pet."
    4. Recieve your confirmation

They also say "Here at EmotionalSupportAnimalCo.com, if you do not meet the need for an ESA after therapist review, you will receive a full refund."
    A refund for what? ESA letters do not cost anything if they are legit. That sounds really sketchy to me.
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

GpBp (02-13-2018),MissterDog (02-13-2018),the_rotten1 (02-13-2018)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast