Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,284

2 members and 3,282 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Are poss hets worth the gamble?

Hi all,

I’ve got the chance to buy a banana pin 66% het pied,

now if i was pretty experienced in telling het pied markers in morphs like pinstripe and banana I’d have a good look to see if there’s any markers, but banana washes the dark colours and pin reduces the pattern, I’ve seen pretty good markers on things like normals and more patterned/darker morphs.

If it was you, would you personally take the gamble?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Are poss hets worth the gamble?

I have two 66% pos hets so you know what my answer is gonna be.

It depends on somethings. Are you a casual hobby breeder doing this for the heck of it? If you are sure go for it. How big of pied project are you shooting for? These are just some questions I ask myself reading the title of this tread. If you or any one is starting a pied project I don't think adding one or two pos hets is a terrible idea. But I should mention I bough my mystic potion pos het kinda just for the heck of it. And I bought my super pastel pos het puzzle cause I believe he is 100% het for puzzle based on what I believe is puzzle influence in his pattern. So I got the super pastel to save money basically at the time and feel I got a deal oh him actually.
    Last edited by EDR; 02-03-2018 at 04:42 AM.
    0.1 : Albino Clown - GHI Pastave - Killer Bee Fader - Sugar Bee - Pastel het pied - Lemon Blast het puzzle

1.0 : Banana - Mystic Potion 66% pos het pied - Pastel Lesser het puzzle - Super Pastel 66% pos het puzzle

1.0 2012 Albino Red Tail

Thanks

Well currently I’ve got a 2600g 0.1 100% het I’ve been raising up for the past 3 years from a 66g hatchling and a 1.0 pastel 100%, I’m just a casual hobby breeder, it’s always been a dream to hatch a pied. Being honest, I think I probably will get him, I haven’t got any banana stuff yet.

Great choice on the puzzle poss het, puzzle is a great project, hopefully he proves out for you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiesniper View Post
    Well currently I’ve got a 2600g 0.1 100% het I’ve been raising up for the past 3 years from a 66g hatchling and a 1.0 pastel 100%, I’m just a casual hobby breeder, it’s always been a dream to hatch a pied. Being honest, I think I probably will get him, I haven’t got any banana stuff yet.

Great choice on the puzzle poss het, puzzle is a great project, hopefully he proves out for you!

I see now you have two hets. Then yeah if you got the space and money sure go for it. That nana pin looks really nice and if it proves out nice bonus.

And thanks I'm looking forward to trying to produce some puzzle stuff. My lemon blast girl is still got 3 years to mature. But luckily I'm sure ill have good experience in breeding by then to help ensure I successfully produce some puzzle combos.

Also if you don't mind quick pics of my little puzzle team.

Old breeder pic of the super pastel. Just look how wonky and more busy her mid section is. I just for fun believe his is and will prove to be 100%.

My pastel lesser het I got from the same breeder I got the super pos het from.

And my lemon blast het I got from tim from bailey and bailey. So I know she really is 100%. I'm using tim photo cause its just such a good pic of her. She still hisses a puffs but as soon as you pick her up she just looks at you its just too cute. I'm gonna miss it when she grows up and probably stops doing it.
    Last edited by EDR; 02-03-2018 at 06:46 AM.
    0.1 : Albino Clown - GHI Pastave - Killer Bee Fader - Sugar Bee - Pastel het pied - Lemon Blast het puzzle

1.0 : Banana - Mystic Potion 66% pos het pied - Pastel Lesser het puzzle - Super Pastel 66% pos het puzzle

1.0 2012 Albino Red Tail

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I think that really depends on your intentions as far as breeding goes.
    Another thing to consider is how reputable is the breeder your potential snake is coming from? If I'm investing in possible het, I'm making sure the source is reliable.

Thanks

I just would like to say that banana pin is really pretty!
    I would get a poss het, if it fell under a project i already had a plan with.
    My other thought would be price, i wouldn't pay a bunch more for a poss het.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely I have produced some cool animals from poss hets including a world first.

Just need to buy it right (not paying extra because of the poss het) and have the right animal to pair it too.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EDR View Post
    I see now you have two hets. Then yeah if you got the space and money sure go for it. That nana pin looks really nice and if it proves out nice bonus.

And thanks I'm looking forward to trying to produce some puzzle stuff. My lemon blast girl is still got 3 years to mature. But luckily I'm sure ill have good experience in breeding by then to help ensure I successfully produce some puzzle combos.

Also if you don't mind quick pics of my little puzzle team.

Old breeder pic of the super pastel. Just look how wonky and more busy her mid section is. I just for fun believe his is and will prove to be 100%.

My pastel lesser het I got from the same breeder I got the super pos het from.

And my lemon blast het I got from tim from bailey and bailey. So I know she really is 100%. I'm using tim photo cause its just such a good pic of her. She still hisses a puffs but as soon as you pick her up she just looks at you its just too cute. I'm gonna miss it when she grows up and probably stops doing it.
    Those are stunners! Fingers crossed they prove out, they’d make some cracking puzzle combos!
    If I had the money and access to the project (I live in Ireland ) I’d definitely be involved haha!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamiesniper For This Useful Post:

EDR (02-22-2018)

Thanks

Thanks for all your replies, well I went ahead and took the gamble!
    He’s a good size already and should be good to go this coming season to my 2500g+ female het.

He’s pretty darn adorable too, I get to pick him up in a few days as he was fed the other day

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamiesniper For This Useful Post:

EDR (02-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I think it really depends what your budget is and what the gene is that you are going after. I bought a male Coral Glow 100% het pied and before my breeding started I decided to pair up all visuals to get all pieds, I just didn't have another female pied or het pied to pair up with this guy. I'm not sure it's really worth it for me to even buy a het pied, not to mention even a pos het pied. The same goes with clown. Of course that depends on how many genes are in the mix, maybe with a multi gene animal it would be worth it.

One morph I'm looking at is the Sunset. Right now visuals are going for $20,000. A 100% het Sunset sells for $2,000 but a 50% possible het can be had for only $150. It would be worth it to buy a five or six pos het Sunset and play the odds. Pieds used to be worth that much back in the day and pos. hets were worth the gamble. Now you can get a visual pied for about $300. If I were to gamble on pos het pieds I'd use at least one visual per pairing, maybe a visual male and a bunch of pos het females to pair with him. That would prove them out in the first clutch.

I also look at the difference in prices, a Banana Pinstripe can be bought starting as low as about $200. The Banana pinstripe 100% het pied that sold on Morphmarket sold for $500. If you could spend the extra few hundred it would be worth it to get a known het pied. Of course it comes down to supply too, I don't see any Banana Pinstripe 100% het pied for sale right now so you may not have a choice.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 02-07-2018 at 05:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast