Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,344

0 members and 3,344 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Nysdec

Threaded View

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Nysdec

(Before we start I know NYSDEC should all be in caps but it won't allow that)

Hey there - just another rant about the absurd laws here in NYS and the uneducated DEC officers that enforce them.

I had another conversation with a DEC officer, will remain unnamed, that told me I couldn't legally own a SD reticulated python because - you ready for this, sit down and hold on to your hat....."They are venomous and get so big - a snake that size can deliver a lot of venom." Yup - that's what he said.

It just boggles my mind these are the guys enforcing the laws and sent out to educate the public. Now before you jump on me for talking about LEO's, know I have a lot of respect for them as I work in civil service and have family members and good friends that are LEO's.

After a little disagreement, and education, he agreed they don't get the in depth training they need as to ALL the animals they govern over. He also agreed I had every right to be upset he was ignorant about the snake he was disseminating the wrong information about. He also mentioned the entire state being punished because some dip:cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: downstate (sorry NYC residents) had one years ago and things didn't go well was wrong but "...that's how legislation works....punish the masses for an individuals mistakes."

In the end, after explaining the adult size of a true SD retic to him he also agreed it was silly we couldn't own them. Now another reason he's remaining anonymous was another statement he made..."You can own anything you want, just don't get caught with it."

Now I'm not running out to buy anything I want - but it was an interesting conversation none the less.
    Last edited by BR8080; 02-03-2018 at 03:53 AM. Reason: NYSDEC caps not allowed?
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-03-2018),DLena (02-04-2018),jmcrook (02-06-2018),Sauzo (02-05-2018)