Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,033

3 members and 3,030 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My pythons won't eat frozen

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding my pythons that refuse to eat frozen rats.

The pythons are in tanks, but I have cages around the lamps so they can't burn themselves, I have aspen snake bedding, the temperature is perfect (I'm checking this every day (during the day 31-33 degrees celsius and during the night 27-29 degrees celsius) and the humidity is 50-60%, they have hiding spot and enough water.

So here's the situation:

Python X: I don't know the gender or age, probably between 1 - 2 yrs old which I bought from a pet store (I didn't do proper research and only discovered later that this was not a good idea).

I used to feed Python X live rats (mice until I discovered that he was actually big enough to eat rats) that I bought from the pet store around the corner, however, X suddenly got blood mite and I believe this was caused by one of the rats I fed (i read about other people having the same problem with rats from pet stores).

So I decided that it would be better to switch to frozen and the first time I gave frozen to X (after warming the rat up of course), X just ate the rat while it was lying on the ground without me moving it or anything. However, X didn't do this the second or third time (I made sure there was always a week between the feeding) so I did some research and watched some youtube videos on how to feed frozen, but everything I tried has failed. What happens is when I hold the rat in his tank, X gets curious and he obviously hungry and comes out of his shelter and he approaches, but he never bites it. It just seems like he doesn't have a clue what to do.

Python X has not eaten for 7 weeks now.

Python Y: Y is a female albino born in 2015 which I bought from an experienced breeder. Like most snake fanatics he kept her in a curver box and he fed her frozen rats that she always ate. However, I tried everything with her and she is not even interested. She has not eaten since I bought her 8 weeks ago.

So am I missing something here or do I have to be patient? Because I'm starting to get frustrated. Thank you in advance!

Thanks

Re: My pythons won't eat frozen

Do you have two hides? In cages they should have two hides so they can thermoregulate and have a place to feel secure. You might have to just give the first snake live, and could you post your setup for the second snake? It could be husbandry related.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Sounds like husbandry is off. Post pics and exact temps on the hot spot, cool spot and ambient temps as well.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Patience ... lots of patience as well :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Here are two pictures of the cage (the cage of Python X is exactly the same as Python Y's cage).

http://ibb.co/g6nvw6
    http://ibb.co/b86oG6

Temperature right under the hotspot is 50 degrees celsius (122 degrees fahrenheit), but that's because the lamp is shining right on the measure point, so I also measured the temperature a few cm's away from the hotspot and its 34 degrees celsius (93 degrees fahrenheit). The temperature on the cool side (above the shelter) is 28 degrees celsius (82 degrees fahrenheit).

What I forgot to say about Python X is that I used to feed him in a separate box, so not in his tank (he also ate the first frozen rat, which I mentioned, in this box). Maybe if I give him live in his tank for a while, he will get used to eating in his tank which makes it maybe easier to switch to frozen in his tank.

Thanks

One picture is at night and the other one during the day (I measured the temperatures during the day).

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

My pythons won't eat frozen

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Here are two pictures of the cage (the cage of Python X is exactly the same as Python Y's cage).

http://ibb.co/g6nvw6
    http://ibb.co/b86oG6

Temperature right under the hotspot is 50 degrees celsius (122 degrees fahrenheit), but that's because the lamp is shining right on the measure point, so I also measured the temperature a few cm's away from the hotspot and its 34 degrees celsius (93 degrees fahrenheit). The temperature on the cool side (above the shelter) is 28 degrees celsius (82 degrees fahrenheit).

What I forgot to say about Python X is that I used to feed him in a separate box, so not in his tank (he also ate the first frozen rat, which I mentioned, in this box). Maybe if I give him live in his tank for a while, he will get used to eating in his tank which makes it maybe easier to switch to frozen in his tank.
    Think of the snake at the measuring point. If your thermometer is measuring 122 directly under the heat source that snake will also after laying there for a while. You need to have the Hot Spot 86-91F MAX. Measuring a few centimeters away doesn't count. That temp will dry the snake to the bone and eventually kill it.
    Also if I'm looking at the picture correctly there is only a cool hide? They have to have a hot hide or they wwon't lay in thewarm spot without feeling secure. I suggest you get to simple black PVC Hides like RBI sells.
    They are easy to clean and light weight without any corners to get injured on.
    Also whats controlling your heat? It needs to be on a Thermostat like a "Jump Start" or "Herpstat" otherwise it will change drastically as the outside and indoor temperature changes.
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 01-31-2018 at 10:10 AM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Just a few thoughts:

- I only see one hide, there should be at least two.

- I see a random probe in the middle of the enclosure. Is that a thermometer probe or thermostat probe?

- I see nothing except the single hide to offer security to the snake. Many keepers use cardboard, dark paper, etc...on the back and sides to provide security, as well as fake plants, etc...

I would check out the husbandry 101 stickies on this forum as well as the stickies about how to set up a glass enclosure.

Thanks

The probe belongs to the thermometer with which I was measuring the temperature at that moment, but it is not there permanently.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Ok, well since it's temporary, let's move on...
    Are your heat sources regulated by a thermostat?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-31-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast