Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,280

3 members and 3,277 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Enclosure for Boa

It can get down to 65 and that's when the issue usually is. If I'm home and I have the space heater on for that room it says at 77 on the cool side with no issue lol.

Thanks
    So I switched the CHE to a 150 watt and its keeping the cool side temp where it supposed to but it's eating the humidity like crazy. Should I switch back to the 100 watt? (The cool side temp doesn't go lower than 70 or is there something else to help with the humidity?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by svtvenom View Post
    So I switched the CHE to a 150 watt and its keeping the cool side temp where it supposed to but it's eating the humidity like crazy. Should I switch back to the 100 watt? (The cool side temp doesn't go lower than 70 or is there something else to help with the humidity?
    How low is the humidity?

Are you adjusting the temps in the cage via thermostat since your room temps fluctuate so much?

I'd be more worried about low temps and high humidity than ok humidity and perfect temps. Just me.

In the winter, my BCI and BP tanks are around 55-60% on average and I mist with warm water every other day. So, they average about 60%+ - higher when in shed of course.

In the summer no problem keeping it 60-70%.

The problem with good humidity but low temps is you can have shedding issues anyway, and get an RI or other illnesses because it is damp and too cold.

Same with humidity that it too high - regarding illness like RI.

Again, there has to be sustained imbalances with animals like BCI's, BP's, etc. Other species of Boa's, for example Rainbow Boa's, true red tails (BCC), etc. are not as forgiving.

So, if you are just working on dialing things in now, don't freak out. It will probably be fine.

Good you are paying attention and want what's best for your BCI.

Thanks
    I literally have to spray it a few times a day and I think it has dropped to 40% a one point (per Acurite thermometer). The thermometer keeps record of the lowest and highest percentages. I sprayed it about 3-4 hours ago and it spiked to 80 and then dropped to 57.

Both the UTH and CHE are plugged into the thermostat now. The temps with the 150 watt stay stable and the CHE doesn't run at 100% constantly anymore.

That's a very good point about high humidity and it not being warm enough. I guess the low humidity is the lesser evils than it not being warm enough lol.

Should I try to put in a second water bowl? I don't have much room to work with lol!

Thanks

I literally have to spray it a few times a day and I think it has dropped to 40% a one point (per Acurite thermometer). The thermometer keeps record of the lowest and highest percentages. I sprayed it about 3-4 hours ago and it spiked to 80 and then dropped to 57.

Both the UTH and CHE are plugged into the thermostat now. The temps with the 150 watt stay stable and the CHE doesn't run at 100% constantly anymore.

That's a very good point about high humidity and it not being warm enough. I guess the low humidity is the lesser evils than it not being warm enough lol.

Should I try to put in a second water bowl? I don't have much room to work with lol!
    What substrate are you using?

A second small bowl could help. So could some reptile moss or even a container with something like Reptile Prime/Coconut Husks, assuming you are using paper towels.

Frankly, if your cage is open on top, not sure how much a bowl would help. The humidity will just escape!

How soon until you get an AP, or Boaphile, etc. tank? That will solve all your problems, LOL.

I keep a small tupperware type container with a lid and a small cutout with moist paper towels in it for my leopard geckos when they shed. I keep it there always, but they use when in shed. They like it dry though. I imagine it would work if you could keep humidity about 50%+ for your BCI boy, but it would need to be big enough for him to get into. Space requirements again.

There is another option, assuming cost isn't a big deal, and it will take while to get a proper enclosure. Boaphile is 5-6 weeks, and I am not sure about AP.

There are other semi-enclosed options. Where you could use what you already have in terms of heating, except maybe the UTH.

http://reptile-enclosure.com/Front-Opening-with-Doors

http://reptile-enclosure.com/Front-O...ing-with-Doors

I have their 40G I used for my BCI before I got my Boaphile tank setup. I am not saying you have to do business with them, but something similar maybe? They are in CT, where I live, and picked up from them directly.

Way better than glass, but you have to supply all the heating elements etc.

Any reptile shows near you? Maybe you can get something better in the meantime? Just trying to think outside the box.

I think glass works if your room is okay to begin with. Your room sounds like a disaster for a BCI and you are working really hard just to maintain.

I'd be thinking of another enclosure ASAP, or a better room/house! I am guessing the enclosure is the best way to go.

I rambled here, but I am trying to give you all the options.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

svtvenom (02-09-2018)

Thanks
    I am using cypress mulch and the top in covered by a piece of cardboard wrapped in tin foil. There's very limited space in the 20 gal, but I'll try to find a different larger bowl.

I started another thread about the AP cages and the stand that come with them and most people are not using the stand. I was originally going to order the stand and the coasters to go along with the cage so that does cut down the cost. I will most likely be ordering the cage in the next couple weeks because it such a headache worrying about the humidity all the time. I will just continue to spay the cage a few times a day. I also want to go ahead and order the T10 now because it takes forever to ship lol (3 months). I'll just be eating ramen noodles for the next couple months.

I do have one question, can I set the AP T10 on the floor if I haven't found a stand when it comes? I don't know how the belly heat/flexwatt is attached.

Thanks

I am using cypress mulch and the top in covered by a piece of cardboard wrapped in tin foil. There's very limited space in the 20 gal, but I'll try to find a different larger bowl.

I started another thread about the AP cages and the stand that come with them and most people are not using the stand. I was originally going to order the stand and the coasters to go along with the cage so that does cut down the cost. I will most likely be ordering the cage in the next couple weeks because it such a headache worrying about the humidity all the time. I will just continue to spay the cage a few times a day. I also want to go ahead and order the T10 now because it takes forever to ship lol (3 months). I'll just be eating ramen noodles for the next couple months.

I do have one question, can I set the AP T10 on the floor if I haven't found a stand when it comes? I don't know how the belly heat/flexwatt is attached.
    No idea how AP cages work and how much they weigh. So moving later could be annoying, no idea.

My guess is that flexwatt with a thermostat won't get hot enough to hurt anything, but maybe put a piece of plywood/PVC, etc, to buffer the floor just in case?

Also, going to be a royal pain to clean when on the floor.

My Boaphile setup is 5 tanks high and they are on a 12 inch stand/box. I use knee pads to clean the bottom tank where Figment, my Corn lives. It's only a foot off the ground!

Be careful spraying often, it can cool the temps a little, even with warm water. I try to do once a day or every other day, at the most, even if I spray more in one shot.

With your new cage, I imagine it's going to be way better.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-10-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks
    Yeah I should able to find a stand I like within 3 months but just in case. I put a soaked towel in the corner of the cage yesterday and it's really helping with humidity. I'm going to wash the towel every few days so it doesn't mold.

Thanks

So I put two black plastic hides that I recently ordered in my boas cage. Every time I put up the one on the warm side it’s dripping wet and the substrate under it is wet. It has helped the humidity in the cage but I’m sure this can’t be good for him if it’s that wet. What should I do?

Thanks

So I put two black plastic hides that I recently ordered in my boas cage. Every time I put up the one on the warm side it’s dripping wet and the substrate under it is wet. It has helped the humidity in the cage but I’m sure this can’t be good for him if it’s that wet. What should I do?
    A little behind on this thread. However, substrate should not be wet. Use less and/or switch to paper, etc. Damp/wet with reptile temps can lead to illness quick. Humid yes, wet, no! Unless you just misted or something, but even then, it should dry fairly quickly, and only be the top layer.

Cannot wait for you to get a better tank! I bet you cannot either!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast